+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job in Walmart

Salmazog

Jul 10, 2020
Hey guys
So, I'm here in Canada for almost 1 year now, I had to extend my visitor Visa because I couldn't go anywhere since my flight back to Brazil was canceled. On August 24th (2020) immigration made an update on work permits saying that now people with visitor Visa can apply for a work permit without the necessity of leaving the country. So my question is, I applied for a job in Walmart (I'm getting married next year with a Canadian and I would really appreciate having a job right now) does walmart hire international workers ? And how that LMIA would work on my case ? It would be the same process as if I'm applying out of the country ? I'm kind lost, but I have an interview and didn't want to lose the opportunity. Thank you!

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
You still need LMIA. Many people are taking Immigration's August 24th update out of context.

Check the below official link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/08/new-temporary-public-policy-will-allow-visitors-to-apply-for-a-work-permit-without-having-to-leave-canada.html

"To be eligible, an applicant looking to benefit from this temporary public policy must

• have valid status in Canada as a visitor on August 24, 2020 and remain in Canada
  • have a job offer
  • submit an application for an employer-specific work permit that is supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an LMIA-exempt offer of employment, no later than March 31, 2021
  • meet all other standard admissibility criteria"

Reactions: Salmazog and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys
So, I'm here in Canada for almost 1 year now, I had to extend my visitor Visa because I couldn't go anywhere since my flight back to Brazil was canceled. On August 24th (2020) immigration made an update on work permits saying that now people with visitor Visa can apply for a work permit without the necessity of leaving the country. So my question is, I applied for a job in Walmart (I'm getting married next year with a Canadian and I would really appreciate having a job right now) does walmart hire international workers ? And how that LMIA would work on my case ? It would be the same process as if I'm applying out of the country ? I'm kind lost, but I have an interview and didn't want to lose the opportunity. Thank you!
Yes, you would still need an LMIA.

As said above, the update from IRCC doesn't change anything material apart from allowing someone to obtain a work permit from within Canada without leaving the country.

You still need an LMIA if you want to apply for a work permit. You can certainly speak with Walmart about this however I expect they won't be willing to go through the LMIA process. If they happen to be willing, plan on the LMIA process taking at least four months to complete.

In the interview, you need to tell Walmart that you are not authorized to work in Canada at this time and require their support in order to get a work permit. Specifically, they need to obtain an approved LMIA.

Reactions: Salmazog

Salmazog

Jul 10, 2020
I knew I would need the LMIA still, I just wasn't sure if would work with Walmart, but yes, I'll tell them on the interview! Thank you for your help!