+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job change and work permit expired

Mar 30, 2021
Hi, I have got a offer letter for a new job and my open work permit has expired as of August 10th 2021. I have applied for the extension as well. Since the processing time is high I might not get the work permit for another month. So can anyone tell me if I can submit the expired work permit or is there any other document need to be submitted?

Mar 30, 2021
Hi, I am in a similar situation. Were you able to work it out then ?
Yes, I used my 'implied status letter' for job change.

I found this in IRCC website.
(i) If you apply for renewal of your work or study permit and your permit expires before a
decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection
Regulations provides you the right to continue working or studying under the same
conditions, pending a determination of your application for renewal, as long as you remain in
Canada. This is referred to as “implied status”. You will have implied status until a decision is
rendered by the IRCC, which means you are allowed to work even though your SIN has
expired.
(ii)https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/tem
porary/extend/change-jobs-employers.html#
If you have an employer-specific work permit and you want to change jobs or employers, you
must apply for a new work permit from inside Canada. International Experience Canada (IEC)
participants must first check that they can change employers with an IEC work permit.
Due to COVID-19, you don’t need to wait until your work permit application is approved to start
your new job or work for a new employer. You just need an email from IRCC that says you have
permission to change jobs.
As always, open work permit holders can change employers at any time.

Sally-123

Sep 15, 2021
Okay perfect. Thank you.

One more question, was your sin showing as invalid at your new place of work? Were they able to pay you despite the expired SIN?