+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2022 Spousal Sponsorship Outland - Online

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thank you :)

Also can someone clarify, I read somewhere that if you haven’t been married for 2 years it makes the process more difficult to convince the IRCC that it’s genuine? I been dating (long distance) since 2018 does that count? Been many time to his country pre pandemic
"More difficult" does not equate to "difficult."

Depends on other proof and circumstances. Sure, married 15 years with eight children is subject to less scrutiny that a recent marriage.

But just show visits and relationship - follow the instructions - and it will probably be okay. The fact you've visited quite a lot "counts" - it just doesnt' make it automatic.

Reactions: YVR123

YULpj

Star Member
May 14, 2019
"More difficult" does not equate to "difficult."

Depends on other proof and circumstances. Sure, married 15 years with eight children is subject to less scrutiny that a recent marriage.

But just show visits and relationship - follow the instructions - and it will probably be okay. The fact you've visited quite a lot "counts" - it just doesnt' make it automatic.
Perfect thank you

SLCtoYEG

Oct 1, 2021
Category........
FAM

Also can someone clarify, I read somewhere that if you haven’t been married for 2 years it makes the process more difficult to convince the IRCC that it’s genuine? I been dating (long distance) since 2018 does that count? Been many time to his country pre pandemic
It all comes down to the quality of proof that you have. If you can show in multiple ways that you've been in a committed relationship since 2018, you will likely have a strong application. As for the 2 year thing I can't speak to that other than to say I could have been married to my husband for 2 years but the marriage itself doesn't prove the relationship is genuine, especially if he was living abroad while I've been in Canada. But that's just my 2 cents.

I would guess it might be an advantage for couples who have been married and living abroad together for 2+ years and who are now looking to settle back in Canada. In that case, it's likely not fraud if they've been married for 5 years with 2 kids and living in Italy - those cases are likely the ones that get very little review. Again though, I'm just guessing.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Friends did anyone who applied for spouse open work permit in 2021 got approval ?
This is the wrong discussion. This discussion is for PR or Canadian citizen to sponsor their spouse from outland to become PR.
There is NO work permit available in this route.

You seems to be asking to apply for SOWP when you are on work permit. So that's totally different.

MedinJune

Star Member
Jan 14, 2021

I'm almost in a similar boat. We were in relationship since 2015 . We started doing long distance from 2017. I provided proof for visits, financial transactions/support, photos, few papers of chat history from 2017-2021

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The IM5533 form is, I think, the source of this 'two year' thing.

It states four conditions (sponsor and spouse living together, children together, first marriage for both, and two years married) after which they don't need to provide any additional relationship proof. In other words, a somewhat simplified application (but honestly, not by that much).

It's not a big deal if you don't meet all four or any one of them individually - just means a bit more paperwork. Probably not that many apps meet all four criteria.

Obviously those that don't meet any of the criteria will get a bit more scrutiny, but none of these are necessarily 'red flags.'

(for the record, spouse and I only met two of those)

niha99999

Jan 30, 2021
Hi, for online applications, do we need to submit the police clearance certificate while submitting the app or can we submit later when asked? :)

fashiontart

Nov 18, 2021
I am getting married in Feb 2022, is there something I should prepare as far as documentation is concerned, so that I could apply PR sponsorship for my wife?
Any directions or link to the document required for spousal sponsorship?
I would do as other people have said - get the checklist and start gathering all of the documents and photos - it takes a long time! If you have everything fully documented and compiled by the time you get married, that's great. But the biggest wait once you get married is for your marriage to be officially legally registered (wherever you are getting married). We got married in Nova Scotia, and it took a little over a month to get the long form marriage licence to include with our application. So research wherever you are and the steps you have to take. I had to beg them to release it as early as they did (and it was still over a month!). Covid protocols have changed a lot.

dex43

Aug 3, 2019
Hi,
I have sent my application by mail on 11 January 2022. What's the current AOR time?

Last edited:

Family union

Nov 6, 2021
Hi, for online applications, do we need to submit the police clearance certificate while submitting the app or can we submit later when asked? :)
You need to submit police certificate together with application. Make sure you have document checklist to avoid missing documents

devsamas

Oct 18, 2021
I am Canada PR and my spouse applied outland (India) PR application online.

Submitted on 05th Feb 2022.