File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
24-07-2017, further tests requested 13-08-2017
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
Someone mentioned that record of citizenship is updated in couple of days in govt records & we can then apply for passport even if not received oath certificate. I am yet to confirm it though.
There are a lot of Ottawa residents that wish that were true in Ottawa, but it doesn't appear to be. Especially since there are no replies from the Ottawa office... One Ottawa resident got a certificate in the mail (after the four month wait) but the Ottawa IRCC officer forgot to register the certificate number in the record of citizenship system, so his passport application has been on hold for two months now as the passport can't be processed until the certificate number is registered. But, I'm thankful they are starting to catch up on the backlog. I know they have now printed the certificates from November and December (2 weeks ago I think?) but only mailed a few from November. I do know of a couple of people from December who were able to get told their certificate number now that they are printed so they could apply for passports... Hopefully it'll be on par with the other cities soon, once they clear up the certificate backlog!

LemmeKnowIfYouKnow

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Someone mentioned that record of citizenship is updated in couple of days in govt records & we can then apply for passport even if not received oath certificate. I am yet to confirm it though.
I don't think so. Because for people born outside Canada one of the required documents to prove Canadian citizenship when you apply for passport is "citizenship certificate". I know that when they held in person ceremonies they used to ask people to wait for a couple of days after oath ceremony (and Eventhough they already have received the oath certificate) for them to update their system.

So you might have gotten two information mixed up. 'waiting for a couple of days for them to update in the system' is right.. but 'providing original copy of Citizenship certificate is imperative'. So we have to wait.

Dedicated

Aug 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Citizenship ceremony took place on March 4 (via Zoom).
I received my citizenship certificate 1 week later, on March 11.

Reactions: Onascale

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think so. Because for people born outside Canada one of the required documents to prove Canadian citizenship when you apply for passport is "citizenship certificate". I know that when they held in person ceremonies they used to ask people to wait for a couple of days after oath ceremony (and Eventhough they already have received the oath certificate) for them to update their system.

So you might have gotten two information mixed up. 'waiting for a couple of days for them to update in the system' is right.. but 'providing original copy of Citizenship certificate is imperative'. So we have to wait.
You are right, that post was from 2017.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-after-citizenship-questions.498853/#post-6068137

Reactions: LemmeKnowIfYouKnow
Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1 - 24-01-2017, AOR2 20-02-2017
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
My tracker updated today Oath Ceremony scheduled for 4 April. Waiting for official email.
Woohoo!! Great news! Really fast that Edmonton went from DM to scheduled oath! Enjoy!

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1 - 24-01-2017, AOR2 20-02-2017
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
All except Citizenship ceremony marked complete on March 16. Ecas shows decision made. :)

Hope oath is scheduled soon.
Awesome!! Two decision mades in the past few days. Great news! Congrats. Hope your oath gets scheduled soon!
My application status updated March 13th - all items "Complete" except Citizenship ceremony, which is "Not started". Hopefully the decision will be made soon!
Woohoo!! Congrats on the decision made! Hope you get your oath scheduled soon!

Reactions: tatateagold

OTW5074

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-04-2021
There are a lot of Ottawa residents that wish that were true in Ottawa, but it doesn't appear to be. Especially since there are no replies from the Ottawa office... One Ottawa resident got a certificate in the mail (after the four month wait) but the Ottawa IRCC officer forgot to register the certificate number in the record of citizenship system, so his passport application has been on hold for two months now as the passport can't be processed until the certificate number is registered. But, I'm thankful they are starting to catch up on the backlog. I know they have now printed the certificates from November and December (2 weeks ago I think?) but only mailed a few from November. I do know of a couple of people from December who were able to get told their certificate number now that they are printed so they could apply for passports... Hopefully it'll be on par with the other cities soon, once they clear up the certificate backlog!

I ve heard the same (I m also in Ottawa) and as a result i m aiming to take the citizenship test as late as possible (April 9th or 10th) because I have a flight in mid-May I cannot move or postpone so I hope they will be their usual slow selves and not put the oath right before the trip.

There is this though, depending on your country of origin (mine is in the visa-exempt list) but hopefully I dont have to try it and it is also unclear if the oath fulfills the last condition or if you need the actual certificate :

Find out if you are eligible for a special authorization to board your flight to Canada

You can apply for a special authorization if you:
  • have not been issued a Canadian passport that is valid on the day of your travel
  • have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
  • are not a Canadian-American dual citizen
And one of the following:
  • have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.