+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****January 2020 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

vaishnavgowni

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary
I've got the same question. Do I have to wait 3 months to apply for the OHIP?
Ontario Health Card:

1) To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
Also, One of the below:

1) have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
  • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
  • you have not yet been denied
2) are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer. Please make sure the employment letter indicates that your employer is willing to keep you for 6 months or more.
  • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do

ivyivyng

Jan 21, 2019
Hi friends,

I have applied for spousal sponsorship late Jan this year. Both me and my sponsor are in Canada. I already did biometrics and medical exam 8 years ago when I first came to Canada. Do you think my application will be faster than normal processing time since we can skip those steps?

Thank you and good luck for your applications.

Reactions: J20190911

jonoonoj

Oct 26, 2019
Hi friends,

I have applied for spousal sponsorship late Jan this year. Both me and my sponsor are in Canada. I already did biometrics and medical exam 8 years ago when I first came to Canada. Do you think my application will be faster than normal processing time since we can skip those steps?

Thank you and good luck for your applications.
From what i have gathered from almost everyone thats already been approved....YES. It expedites the process. But it seems most people who have already been approved had an "essential" job already lined up. That's the fastest way to be approved

hiwilley

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Last edited:

vaishnavgowni

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary
If you have a valid biometrics on file, then you need not give again for PR until further notice. Came into effect today September 22nd, 2020. So people with valid biometrics given during TRV are in this category.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-biometric-exemption.html?fbclid=IwAR1MoGmGlhaKVRjIIr1a2gMGRIuSEpvvCQgmDNWXI4mDwnBcYEXOn3Plt3w
Good News! I see December folks are getting medical requests. Happy to see things moving!

hiwilley

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
September 24, 2020—Ottawa—Today, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of IRCC, is announcing action to speed up spousal application processing and help families build their lives together in Canada.
IRCC has increased the number of decision makers on spousal applications in Canada by 66%, to process spousal applications more quickly and reduce couples’ wait times.
With these initiatives, IRCC aims to accelerate, prioritize and finalize approximately 6,000 spousal applications each month from October until December 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/09/ircc-speeding-up-processing-for-spousal-applications.html

jonoonoj

Oct 26, 2019
It's really strange how outland is faster than inland....and also how long it actually takes with or without covid for the process to be completed. The logical thought process is .....if i am in Canada ALREADY and applying for an OWP extension and or PR, shouldn't IRCC already know i have valid biometrics and am allowed in Canada? Then therefore making it a faster decision? Also i wonder....has anyone who is involved the chain of decision making on OWP's and PR application ever actually applied themself? I think if they had the entire process would be more streamlined. It's stressful how long it takes for a decision to be made

hiwilley

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Definitely great news!
Does it refer to Inland or Outland sponsorship?
How do you guys think?
The insightful news was generic (inland & outland), but the direct announcement seem referring to outland.

TAKE AWAY: Both are Spousal sponsorship which it's prime essence is to unit families.

Reactions: J20190911

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
It's really strange how outland is faster than inland....and also how long it actually takes with or without covid for the process to be completed. The logical thought process is .....if i am in Canada ALREADY and applying for an OWP extension and or PR, shouldn't IRCC already know i have valid biometrics and am allowed in Canada? Then therefore making it a faster decision? Also i wonder....has anyone who is involved the chain of decision making on OWP's and PR application ever actually applied themself? I think if they had the entire process would be more streamlined. It's stressful how long it takes for a decision to be made
I get what you are saying. But keep in mind that in normal (read: non-COVID) times, Outland is generally faster because Canadian Immigration prioritizes reunification, getting families and spouses back together in Canada. If you are Inland, at least you are physically present with your spouse.

And agree that it would be interesting to see how many IRCC employees are actually immigrants that had to go through the PR process themselves. I'm sure there are some, but most are probably Canadian-born citizens.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Ontario Health Card:

1) To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
Also, One of the below:

1) have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
  • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
  • you have not yet been denied
2) are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer. Please make sure the employment letter indicates that your employer is willing to keep you for 6 months or more.
  • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do
@Toxa As of right now, you do NOT have to wait 3 months before your new OHIP kicks in. Due to COVID, they've made all new OHIP coverage effective immediately: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

hy0584

Sep 29, 2020
If anyone knows what to do in my situation please help.

I applied for my PR application without OWP (received on Jan 17, AOR Mar 10) as my PGWP didn’t expire until end of October 2020. My application is still under “background check” at the moment. I received biometrics fee reminder letter on June 17 and replied back to Webform with my receipt. Got reply back saying that they will attach the payment and that was the last thing I heard anything about my application. No biometrics done in the past as it was not required when I got my PGWP. No up front medical either.

I’m currently working full time and I would like to continue working however I’m not sure if I will be under implied status as long as I apply my OWP before my PGWP expires.

Anyone in similar situation? I have sent in a webform request regarding my application just today cause I’m not sure where I can start.