+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***January 2019*** PR Spouse sponsorship In Canada

DarylM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2018
I couldn't see a thread for 2019 applications, sorry if I've missed it, here's the start of one otherwise.

Almost ready to send off my application package!

I'm British with a Canadian husband. We are both definitely on the far side of middle-aged, been together 7 years, recently married. We've both been married and divorced, lived all over the world for years so our history has been a nightmare to get down on paper.

After visiting two different immigration lawyers we got two different lots of advice. Between them and the forum I think we are almost confident we are doing this right. I still have the following questions though...

1. What is the frequency for refusing PR - spouse/in Canada especially? We've been told it's all about the degree to which your relationship is deemed 'genuine'. Is that true? Is there such a thing as TOO much information to support this?

2. OWP - do I need to submit photos and IMM 5707? One of the lawyers said I do but I can't find where it says that in the guidelines.

3. More than anything I need an OWP - being out of work sucks but I didn't want to go the out-of-Canada route and commit to another year of international teaching. How soon can I expect a work permit?

I'd love to hear other people's progress through this maze this year - maybe feel less dazed, confused and alone with some company along the way.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
1. need to submit the supporting documents as required in the checklist.......your sponsorship application will be approved based on the genuineness of your marriage

2. submit the supporting documents as required in the checklist

3. inland sponsorship (applicant and sponsor are living inside Canada) + OWP......the OWP is usually approved within 4 months.

Get your checklist, forms and instructions

DarylM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2018
1. need to submit the supporting documents as required in the checklist.......your sponsorship application will be approved based on the genuineness of your marriage

2. submit the supporting documents as required in the checklist

3. inland sponsorship (applicant and sponsor are living inside Canada) + OWP......the OWP is usually approved within 4 months.

Get your checklist, forms and instructions
Sorry if my questions weren't clear. I have my checklists. Read them, talked to immigration consultants, these are the questions that I STILL have after consulting both.

1. First consultant said 'provide a piece of evidence for each item' i.e. provide the minimal amount indicated in the checklist. Second said,'too little information, add as many extra pages and pieces of evidence you can find.' My question - where do I stop? Signed affidavits from every friend and relative who has ever met us confirming we are a couple? Can I assume that, as we are obviously and verifiably a couple, my PR will be accepted?

2. Checklist IMM5556 Worker Inland makes no mention of IMM 5707 yet my $200 an hour consultant said it is needed. Should I ignore her?
Re: the photos, I think, but am not absolutely certain, that I do not need biometrics yet - until they are requested - at which time I will need to have my photo taken. Is this right?

3. Thanks. So the current estimates of 7 weeks is for OWP submitted as part of another application and 90 days was just what people were saying. 'Usually within 4 months' is the standard response?

DarylM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2018
Theres 2 inland jan 2019 thread. Wonder if mods can merge these and this thread too
Can you direct me to them? I'm happy for my post to be deleted - nothing valuable on their yet so I'd be happy to read through others and tag along with them.

I've looked, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or for the wrong keywords.

smrtphusr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
Southwestern Ontario
Can you direct me to them? I'm happy for my post to be deleted - nothing valuable on their yet so I'd be happy to read through others and tag along with them.

I've looked, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or for the wrong keywords.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/inland-spouse-sponsorship-january-2019.605338/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/january-2019-inland-spousal-sponsorship.607347/

Reactions: DarylM

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Sorry if my questions weren't clear. I have my checklists. Read them, talked to immigration consultants, these are the questions that I STILL have after consulting both.

1. First consultant said 'provide a piece of evidence for each item' i.e. provide the minimal amount indicated in the checklist. Second said,'too little information, add as many extra pages and pieces of evidence you can find.' My question - where do I stop? Signed affidavits from every friend and relative who has ever met us confirming we are a couple? Can I assume that, as we are obviously and verifiably a couple, my PR will be accepted?

2. Checklist IMM5556 Worker Inland makes no mention of IMM 5707 yet my $200 an hour consultant said it is needed. Should I ignore her?
Re: the photos, I think, but am not absolutely certain, that I do not need biometrics yet - until they are requested - at which time I will need to have my photo taken. Is this right?

3. Thanks. So the current estimates of 7 weeks is for OWP submitted as part of another application and 90 days was just what people were saying. 'Usually within 4 months' is the standard response?
1. use the checklist as your guide......provide the supporting documents as required.....do not provide beyond the checklist

2. download the recent versions of the sponsorship forms and checklist from the IRCC site.......refer......Get your checklist, forms and instructions

In addition to the required forms.....you need to also check the applicant country specific requirements if there are any additional forms or documents required.......IMM5707 is not a mandatory form, but check country specific requirements if required.

3. OWP submitted with inland sponsorship is usually approved within 4 months.

singh13jaz

Jan 27, 2019
They are processing AORs for dec as many have started getting MR(Medical request) too...
Maybe by last week of feb, Jan applicants would start getting some response.

Jun 3, 2019

If I am not mistaken, it does not matter if it is too little or too much evidence. It is about convincing the officer if your relationship is legit based on the things you submitted. In my case, I submitted a notarized affidavit from 3 key people describing how our relationship started: 2 from close friends and 1 from my boss. I got a feedback from co-workers that they were asked if they know my husband and how long they have known him.
I also submitted 15 photos from our wedding day (these are the not so good photos because I know it won't be returned.). I was advised before hand by someone to make sure I invite more than 2 people on the wedding. We asked our friends for potluck wedding reception held in our rented place (backyard). There were 40 people.

Biometrics is submitted with your application form. Is your consultant ready to submit your application? Are all the requirements needed ready to go? I hope I answered the question sensibly.

My husband was denied OWP. We submitted 4 applications: 1. Reinstatement of Visa 2. Tourist Visa Extension 3. PR through sponsorship 4. OWP
We waited for 3 years for his PR. When we received the PR, we only got reimbursed for the OWP application.