+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2019 onwards Paper Based PR Applicants waiting for AOR/MR/PPR

Amybarar03

Feb 7, 2019
There are multiple parts of incorrect information/facts in your post.
If you are laid off (as against furloughed that is still on company payrolls but on leave without pay/benefits) then your clock of 90 day period to find a new employer starts ticking). And you are expected to be out of status unless you find the same job or apply for 'implied status'.
If you are on furlough as explained above, you are good, only for the period that your employer says after few months that you are actually laid off. Then your 90 day period begins as explained above.
And EI is not for all. EI is available for people who actually pay employment insurance. Check out your paystub or talk to your employer.

**I am not trying to fearmonger people** I am trying to clarify how I understand the situation. Feel free to disagree.
Totally agree with you as i contacted CIC and they said if you get laid off then you have 90 days to find a new job and submit new employer documents if not your PR application gonna be rejected so if you are temporary laid off best is take vacation and apply for CERB that will help

pat40

Jan 21, 2020
Totally agree with you as i contacted CIC and they said if you get laid off then you have 90 days to find a new job and submit new employer documents if not your PR application gonna be rejected so if you are temporary laid off best is take vacation and apply for CERB that will help
did you Contact CIC after this covid-19 scenario happen or before that? And did you mention Them lay off is due to covid-19 situation?

Jazz007

Mar 13, 2020
My employer laid me off due to covid 90 and i applied for cerb . I already submitted my PR file in August 2019. Will this effect my Pr and do i need to apply again with new employer ?
Please help

Seth3

Mar 4, 2019
when did you contact cic? it because even if you go online on cic it says the same thing which is right but in this situation almost all the companies are laying off their employees and it is no body fault, it’s government order to close all non essential businesses so there is nothing we can do about it but we need to understand this here once everything get normal we have to go back to the work. I tried calling cic hundreds of time to ask about this before i get laid off but even they are also not working.

Reactions: Floje

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
There are multiple parts of incorrect information/facts in your post.
If you are laid off (as against furloughed that is still on company payrolls but on leave without pay/benefits) then your clock of 90 day period to find a new employer starts ticking). And you are expected to be out of status unless you find the same job or apply for 'implied status'.
If you are on furlough as explained above, you are good, only for the period that your employer says after few months that you are actually laid off. Then your 90 day period begins as explained above.
And EI is not for all. EI is available for people who actually pay employment insurance. Check out your paystub or talk to your employer.

**I am not trying to fearmonger people** I am trying to clarify how I understand the situation. Feel free to disagree.
I applied under the student stream and have a open work permit.Will the 90 day period also apply to me if I lose my job?

Dsgfire

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
I have submitted passport after PPR to coco Ottawa but now my employer laid off from job and I applied for EI. Son this gonna affect my PR. Any suggestions....

manojsax

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
I applied under the student stream and have a open work permit.Will the 90 day period also apply to me if I lose my job?
90 day period applies to everyone unless you have decision made. Any stage prior to that will affect your PR because you will be out of status in 90 days.
This is what my lawyer www.veemanlaw.com said in his webinar on Friday.
Also use EI if you are eligible but DO NOT apply for government money. EI is not government grant. If you apply for it your application will be negatively affected.

manojsax

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
90 day period applies to everyone unless you have decision made. Any stage prior to that will affect your PR because you will be out of status in 90 days.
Also use EI if you are eligible but DO NOT apply for government money. EI is not government grant. If you apply for it your application will be negatively affected.
From Government money I mean the CERB program that started today.

Jazz007

Mar 13, 2020
How it will affect negatively everybody is applying bcoz governmnt told everybody to close non essential services and thatswhy we are laid off not bcoz of our employer’s fault And if somebody has open work permit not expiring soon how will they be out of status?
can u plzz explain thnks

Dsgfire

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
The takeaway is that if an employee is laid off during the COVID-19 epidemic, then for the purposes of ES legislation, they are not considered to be “terminated” at least for a while. Their employment is interrupted. There is no present statutory requirement for the employer to pay the employee during a temporary layoff although some employers opt to do so. In most provinces at present there is also no ES entitlement to paid sick leave, although some provinces have indicated an intention to introduce some form of paid leave entitlement (nice summary here from Faskens). An employee who is laid off during the COVID-19 epidemic may be entitled to use accrued vacation pay and can apply for unemployment insurance.

Atul2019

Jan 10, 2020
when did you contact cic? it because even if you go online on cic it says the same thing which is right but in this situation almost all the companies are laying off their employees and it is no body fault, it’s government order to close all non essential businesses so there is nothing we can do about it but we need to understand this here once everything get normal we have to go back to the work. I tried calling cic hundreds of time to ask about this before i get laid off but even they are also not working.
I dont understand why people r writing in this this page.while this page for janury 19 to April 2019. AR/MR/ppr/DM.please read first before u poast