+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2018 - Citizenship Applications

News 2018

Jan 16, 2018
Well said! Bravo! Hope you become a Canadian very soon! People like you are done and do their best for this country and that’s is why we can see Canada as it is now!

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
What's with all the entitlement here? Yeah, this process takes a long time, and waiting sucks, but you're already permanent residents so there's no danger of running out of time and getting deported. And you're applying to become a lifetime citizen - can people not see why it might take a little bit of time to double check that you are who you claim to be, and that you are actually eligible?

Do some googling and have a look at how long it takes to become a citizen in some other comparable western countries. It's about as long, if not longer than Canada. And often the costs are far higher elsewhere, and the process is more intrusive and restrictive to your day to day life. I checked the USA, UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and all of them require you to be a resident longer than Canada does, have harder to maintain residency requirement than Canada does, and the processing times from application to grant of citizenship are all longer than 12 months.

We've got it pretty damn good if you ask me. It's really annoying seeing people getting so angry after only 6-7 months of waiting.

Personally, I'm immensely grateful that Canada is actually considering allowing me to soon become one of them. They don't have to do this. I have no "right" to be Canadian, but they're (hopefully) going to let me become Canadian anyway, just as soon as they finish checking that I meet their quite reasonable requirements.

Whether it is a "right" or a "privilege" is a question of debate. Whatever it is. It is same for everyone. If it is your right, then it is my right as well. Having said that. I am not here to argue whether it my right or not, what i am trying to say is that there needs be a bit more transparency. For example I know two families in my neighborhood applied for citizenship weeks after myself and they have their passports in hand, and my application is not even sent to my local office. I have sent CIC various emails and I got a response after 4-5 weeks that too a copy-pasted reply that your application is with-in 12 month period. It is a subtle message that govt is giving you that illegal migrants are more important for them as compared to hard working people who have been paying their taxes and have been contributing to Canadian economy for years.

Reactions: xxx00id

xxx00id

Aug 16, 2018
What's with all the entitlement here? Yeah, this process takes a long time, and waiting sucks, but you're already permanent residents so there's no danger of running out of time and getting deported. And you're applying to become a lifetime citizen - can people not see why it might take a little bit of time to double check that you are who you claim to be, and that you are actually eligible?

Do some googling and have a look at how long it takes to become a citizen in some other comparable western countries. It's about as long, if not longer than Canada. And often the costs are far higher elsewhere, and the process is more intrusive and restrictive to your day to day life. I checked the USA, UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and all of them require you to be a resident longer than Canada does, have harder to maintain residency requirement than Canada does, and the processing times from application to grant of citizenship are all longer than 12 months.

We've got it pretty damn good if you ask me. It's really annoying seeing people getting so angry after only 6-7 months of waiting.

Personally, I'm immensely grateful that Canada is actually considering allowing me to soon become one of them. They don't have to do this. I have no "right" to be Canadian, but they're (hopefully) going to let me become Canadian anyway, just as soon as they finish checking that I meet their quite reasonable requirements.

with do respect for your personal opinion, I think you are looking at the small picture from your own lens without considering other ppl specific problems... what is your birth citizenship?

some ppl jobs require international travel (BIG tax payers), they cannot travel with their birth passport... they might lose their jobs anytime!!!
some ppl have ill loved family members in countries which does not recognize their birth passport... they can go and visit the moment they get the Canadian citizenship (yes.. it is that ridiculous even if you are the same person)
some ppl.... and lots of critical cases like this

faiyaz.ally

Star Member
Jan 10, 2014
i guess we're diverting from the topic here. Debating about why it's taking longer for some applications to be processed as compared to the others isn't going to change anything. At the end of the day, the government has promised that the apps would be processed within 12 months and as long as they're doing that, there's no reason to debate. I understand that it can be frustrating waiting for things to happen. It just means we have to be more patient that's all. I have been waiting "in process" since April 4th and only got my FP request 4 weeks ago. It's all good, it's still within the 12 months Service Levels that the government has committed to.

KK82

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Ottawa
Whether it is a "right" or a "privilege" is a question of debate. Whatever it is. It is same for everyone. If it is your right, then it is my right as well. Having said that. I am not here to argue whether it my right or not, what i am trying to say is that there needs be a bit more transparency. For example I know two families in my neighborhood applied for citizenship weeks after myself and they have their passports in hand, and my application is not even sent to my local office. I have sent CIC various emails and I got a response after 4-5 weeks that too a copy-pasted reply that your application is with-in 12 month period. It is a subtle message that govt is giving you that illegal migrants are more important for them as compared to hard working people who have been paying their taxes and have been contributing to Canadian economy for years.
your's is a different case and I do empathize with your situation. I haven't heard anything like this before.

My suggestion is to request for ATIP notes under Access to information act and that will give you all the info you are looking for regarding your application. The cost is $5 and it can be requested online at

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/access-information-privacy/requests-information-act.html

Good Luck!

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
I mean no disrespect to anyone here, and I didn't intend my comment to be targeted at anyone individually (although I guess it seems that way - recent posts might have triggered me to say something but there are many cases of people complaining without a legitimate reason).

I agree that transparency could be improved, absolutely. However that said, the processing time is stated at 12 months - that's been no secret right from the beginning. If someone else was processed in 5-6 months that means they were lucky, it doesn't mean you've been screwed over. And I do still maintain that you're probably not going to get much better "service" in any of the other western countries I referred to compared to Canada.

Lastly, I do have sympathy for people who are waiting on their Canadian passport to be able to freely travel, due to limitations or restrictions of their current citizenship. I'll admit that I'm lucky that this isn't the case for me, so perhaps this is a narrow view point I'm holding. I still think what I said is valid though, however a little more empathy could have been used - for that I apologise if I've caused anyone offence.

Reactions: xxx00id

DANBR86

May 19, 2018
This is a forum that every member is supposed to express their opinion without prejudice or personally intentions so here is mine.
I think the core in discussions is frustration. We feel frustrated because check the this site every hour and someone progress bother us. I completely understand and respect some political influence that could have immigration/citizenship progress applications but everyone here knows that our little angry and "upset" won't make our file moves in the end of day. So kindly I advise that to be patient and if see another posts of tests invite/oath and so on make you sad, simply stay out for while. And as @Quink said, Canada is not perfect but still a better place to decent people build their life.
Good luck guys! I wish everyone here be a oath ceremony until the end of the year. ;)

Reactions: apiafika

apiafika

Feb 26, 2015
So I did my test yesterday in Montreal and scored 20/20 (the person that interviewed me after the test told me). The questions were relatively easy. If your are familiar with the content of the Discover Canada book, you watch CBC News quite often like I do (I hardly watch CNN these days because of the stupid political atmosphere in their parent country), then you should finish under 10 minutes like I did lol. Good-luck everyone :)..

Last edited:

mrniceguy3981

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2012
AOR Received.
25-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
11-07-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013 (RPRF/biodata request same day)
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-08-2013
LANDED..........
28-08-2013
Finally, I got test invite. Sep 25th 2018 test date at Mississuaga.

Hope all will get soon...

raghav563

Sep 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-June-2013
Doc's Request.
Submitted with Application
Nomination.....
27-August-2013
AOR Received.
25-October-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
File Transfer...
25-October-2013
Med's Request
28-November-2013
Med's Done....
04-December-2013
Interview........
Waived off Hopefully
Passport Req..
02-Decemeber-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
hey guys ,, when you write the test do you get to know the results immediately?

apiafika

Feb 26, 2015
Just woke up this morning and saw that my online status has changed to "Decision Made" (I think it changed yesterday). Admin, please update.

Reactions: Jok5r

najamali

Feb 8, 2018
Dear Admin,
My test was on 6th sept. Passed the test. Status changed to Decision made on 8th sept.

Good luck to everyone in this group !!

Reactions: Jok5r

Gibe

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
So i went online now to check my status and BOOM "Decision made" but no other info given when you click on it. Is that normal?

So my other question is, will they write a physical letter?
Congrats! From what I saw on other posts, it is normal to just see DM on the main page but not on the details. Next thing you’ll see is the oath invitation in the details page I think.

From the spread sheet, I see that you’ve waited for like 4 months to get DM. Do you know why it took so long?

I had my test last Tuesday and was a bit worried as people who took the test the same day got DM already but not me. But I guess that I will have to wait a bit more :).