Apr 11, 2012
Saskatoon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2012-07-27
Raj_Hoque said:
Hi Folks,

Need expert opinion. I'm going to apply for citizenship for myself and family next month. My wife has completed course on "The Professional English Language Training Program" (PELT) arranged by MAGMA (multicultural association of the Greater Moncton area) and professionally she is an Architect Engineer having degree from South Asia. She also has done 2 short courses one with Sheridan College (Brampton) and the other one from Humber College (Toronto). She also has worked in an Architect Farm in New Brunswick. Now my question is does she need to sit for english exam? Will that PELT certificate and Humber college certificate would be enough to prove her english proficiency. She also have given IELTS but it's 4 and 1/2 yrs ago. Suggestion please.
She should be OK. include a copy of all of these docs with her application.

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
Raj_Hoque said:
Hi Folks,

Need expert opinion. I'm going to apply for citizenship for myself and family next month. My wife has completed course on "The Professional English Language Training Program" (PELT) arranged by MAGMA (multicultural association of the Greater Moncton area) and professionally she is an Architect Engineer having degree from South Asia. She also has done 2 short courses one with Sheridan College (Brampton) and the other one from Humber College (Toronto). She also has worked in an Architect Farm in New Brunswick. Now my question is does she need to sit for english exam? Will that PELT certificate and Humber college certificate would be enough to prove her english proficiency. She also have given IELTS but it's 4 and 1/2 yrs ago. Suggestion please.
I am not sure of PELT but IELTS can be used even if its old. In my case I submitted my IELTS results from over 7 years ago when I applied. Just be sure that the IELTS is the General version (not Academic) and thr scores for each section and overall meet the criteria...

YumiMedina

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Raj_Hoque said:
Hi Folks,

Hi Raj,
There are only 3 options for the English Language requirement, 1. is the third party, 2. is the post secondary, or if you have a degree abroad. and 3. is the Canadian Language Benchmark.

Because I did not want to pay for any language assessments and I have my degree from abroad, I spoke to an expert in immigration application and she mentioned that you can opt for Option 2, provided that you have a document explicitly saying that the Language used in the university I attended is English. I requested the same letter from my University, and attached it on my application together with my diploma and TOR. This should solve it.

I am not sure if PELT is included in option 1 or 3. But if you decide to use option 2. make sure you have a letter from your school/institution/college/university for the "English as the primary medium of Instruction/language used.

Hope this helps.

1. Results of an accepted third-party test at the equivalent of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC) / Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiensFootnote 1 level 4 or higher in speaking and listening either done previously for immigration purposes (acceptable even if expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes. Test results from the following list are acceptable:
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking), not the academic version.
For tests taken after April 1, 2014, you must have achieved a score of level 4 or higher (up to 12) in listening and speaking.
For tests taken before April 1, 2014, you must have achieved a score of 2H or higher (i.e., 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5L, or 5H) in listening and speaking.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
4.0 or higher in speaking, and
4.5 or higher in listening. (Please note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher); or

2. Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.

3. Proof of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills through certain government-funded language training programs includes:

Raj_Hoque

Feb 13, 2012
Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
December 30, 2012
Thank you all for your suggestions. Will try to get the letter from my wife's University.

Raj_Hoque

Feb 13, 2012
Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
December 30, 2012
karianna said:
I am not sure of PELT but IELTS can be used even if its old. In my case I submitted my IELTS results from over 7 years ago when I applied. Just be sure that the IELTS is the General version (not Academic) and thr scores for each section and overall meet the criteria...
Hi Karianna...Could you please let me know what is the benchmark/individual scores required for IELTS to qualify for Citizenship language proficiency?

Sa3Sa3

Apr 11, 2012
Saskatoon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2012-07-27
Raj_Hoque said:
Hi Karianna...Could you please let me know what is the benchmark/individual scores required for IELTS to qualify for Citizenship language proficiency?
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
4.5 or higher in listening. (Please note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher)

legalcitizen

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raj_Hoque said:
if a test is necessary go for celpip-ls for citizenship. only two modules - listening and speaking. only 4 in each is needed .

Raj_Hoque

Feb 13, 2012
Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
December 30, 2012
Sa3Sa3 said:
4.5 or higher in listening. (Please note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher)
Sa3Sa3..my wife appeared for IELTS in 2012 and all above 5. Is there any link where you found the info?

KtotheG

Jan 18, 2017
Is there any rhyme or reason to when folks get AOR? A bunch have already received theirs having applied after me. I hope my app didn't get lost as it was a hassle getting my police certificate!

Jusia

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raj_Hoque said:
Sa3Sa3..my wife appeared for IELTS in 2012 and all above 5. Is there any link where you found the info?
Please refer to the instruction guide:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp

You can use your old IELTS results it doesn't matter if they are expired.

0jenifer0

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 29, 2011 (CPC-M recvd Nov 1, 2011)
Doc's Request.
Feb 13, 2012 (sent June 4, 2012)
AOR Received.
Dec 29, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2012
Med's Request
Aug 13, 2012 (recvd 08-23-2012) (redo 08-30-2012)
Med's Done....
May 26, 2011 exprd.
Passport Req..
Feb 8, 2012 (sent 03-23-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28, 2012 (12-2-12 DM) (12-7-2012 delivered)
LANDED..........
DEC-25-2012
Raj_Hoque said:
Hi Folks,

In my husband's case he came here in Toronto when he was only 14 yrs old. He attended secondary, Seneca College and Ryerson University here in Ontario Canada. He studied Computer Programming and working at Bell Media. When he applied for Citizenship he still went thru on the same processed like most of us here. I think if anyone entered here in Canada as a Landed Immigrant, FSW, TSW etc. As long as we're not a NATURALIZED Canadian we still have to provide a English Proof in the citizenship application.

I also knew someone before and applied for citizenship. She has Masters Degree and her occupation was Judge in Iran. She also studied here upgrading her skills. The other one was a Bachelors Degree she was a English Teacher abroad. She also studied here and got a recognition. Both of them included their English Language proof.

I think English Langauge proof is mandatory to all non-naturalized Canadian when applying for Citizenship. No matter what degree we have had in our home country. In addition, we have nothing to lose if we sends our English proof. Because at the end of the day, despite of all the circumstances we're still the one who'll benefit from it.

Best of luck to all of us...