App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
31.12.2012. Citizen: 2017-09-08
There has been many rumours about the "Intent to Reside" clause.

The intent only applies between the time you your application is signed and when you take your oath. After that you can go and work or live anywhere you want in the world. If you are eligible to apply, apply now. Whatever rules come in later will be retroactive because of the constitutional nature of the issues.

See subsection below from CIC:

"Subsection 5(1.1) of the Act states that for the purposes of paragraphs 5(1)(c.1) and 11(1)(e), the person’s intention must be continuous from the date of their application until they have taken the Oath of Citizenship.

Officers will be assessing the applicant’s intention if granted citizenship (i.e., what the applicant intends to do after becoming a citizen). Applicants must hold this intention to reside if granted citizenship from the time they sign their application to the time they take the Oath. The intent to reside is required to obtain citizenship but no longer applies once citizenship is granted. Once citizenship is granted, a citizen has the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada as guaranteed by the Charter."

fortesquieu

Jan 4, 2017
Hi guys, new guy here.

Sent in my family application yesterday and realized that we forgot to print our names behind the photos. However, we pinned it on the each individual's documents.

Would it be sent back?

Thanks!

Joe Joe

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
fortesquieu said:
Hi guys, new guy here.

Sent in my family application yesterday and realized that we forgot to print our names behind the photos. However, we pinned it on the each individual's documents.

Would it be sent back?

Thanks!
Mostly yes, but just relax nothing much to do, just wait and take it easy

alzubaidy

Aug 15, 2012
hi guys,
this is what is mentioned in the cic official website

Intent to reside

You must declare your intent to reside during the citizenship application process.

To become a citizen, you must indicate your intention to:

live in Canada,
work outside Canada as a Crown servant, or
live abroad with certain family members who are Crown servants.
Once you become a Canadian citizen, you have the right to enter, remain in, or leave Canada, one of the basic rights of citizenship.

alzubaidy

Aug 15, 2012
Joe Joe said:
Totally agree with Advance 123
this is what mentioned in the cic official website guys.

Intent to reside

You must declare your intent to reside during the citizenship application process.

To become a citizen, you must indicate your intention to:

live in Canada,
work outside Canada as a Crown servant, or
live abroad with certain family members who are Crown servants.
Once you become a Canadian citizen, you have the right to enter, remain in, or leave Canada, one of the basic rights of citizenship.

alzubaidy

Aug 15, 2012
do you think they will return it even if the pictures inside envelop and stapled to the application and the application inside big envelop with the supportive document individually ?

obitar

Star Member
Aug 28, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alzubaidy said:
do you think they will return it even if the pictures inside envelop and stapled to the application and the application inside big envelop with the supportive document individually ?
I think they will return but in case somebody is very good you never no good luck

Joe Joe

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
Thats my opinion that they will, but as I told u it is just a matter of 2 weeks. It will bot be refused neither non routine just 2 nore weeks nothing more

Jusia

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,
I sent my application Dec 28 2016 and it just arrived in Sydney NS :)
I added my name to the list.
Best of luck everyone :)

CanadianME

Star Member
May 31, 2015
They won't return for that. But if you missed a signature on the application or missing any information, then they will return...
fortesquieu said:
Hi guys, new guy here.

Would it be sent back?

Thanks!

alzubaidy

Aug 15, 2012
CanadianME said:
They won't return for that. But if you missed a signature on the application or missing any information, then they will return...
are you sure ? have you heard anyone had the same issue :)

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Advance123 said:

The intent only applies between the time you your application is signed and when you take your oath. After that you can go and work or live anywhere you want in the world. If you are eligible to apply, apply now. Whatever rules come in later will be retroactive because of the constitutional nature of the issues.

"Subsection 5(1.1) of the Act states that for the purposes of paragraphs 5(1)(c.1) and 11(1)(e), the person’s intention must be continuous from the date of their application until they have taken the Oath of Citizenship.

Officers will be assessing the applicant’s intention if granted citizenship (i.e., what the applicant intends to do after becoming a citizen). Applicants must hold this intention to reside if granted citizenship from the time they sign their application to the time they take the Oath. The intent to reside is required to obtain citizenship but no longer applies once citizenship is granted. Once citizenship is granted, a citizen has the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada as guaranteed by the Charter."
Agreed with you.

Hitchhiker40

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
Advance123 said:

True. After they become citizens. But your intention to reside BEFORE becoming a citizen will always be questionable and subject to misrepresentation claims. Thus making your citizenship subject to revocation.

Civil rights lawyers and activists haven't been objecting this clause for nothing. Regardless of whatever is mentioned on CIC website and charter of rights, the application form says "I intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in Canada". If it was really aimed for the process, it would say for example "I intend, until granted citizenship, to continue to reside in Canada".

While all citizens have full rights of mobility, how one exercises those rights after becoming a citizen may provide IRCC with cause to question whether one's "intention to reside" was a misrepresentation at the time it was made. Once it becomes a question of whether citizenship was obtained by misrepresentation, IRCC may use how one exercised their mobility rights as part of the evidence indicating misrepresentation.

Joe Joe

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
Very simple, wait untill c 6 in effect and then apply, we have told u what we think, if u r sure why did u ask