+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I've waited over 200 days for my first permanent residency card?

Pauls90

Nov 16, 2018
I have been waiting over 200 days, there is no response from them other than generic, the current wait times adjust frequently but are all under 100 days. I have emailed, called and even tried twitter now, but the same thing, generic responses. Can anybody help me with any advice of how/what I should do to get this card? My father lives in the UK and is old, I could get a phone call and have to return at any moment so I'd like to be able to get back in after taking me 7 years to get this far, my brothers and mother all live here.

• Sad
Reactions: Tackica

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
I have been waiting over 200 days, there is no response from them other than generic, the current wait times adjust frequently but are all under 100 days. I have emailed, called and even tried twitter now, but the same thing, generic responses. Can anybody help me with any advice of how/what I should do to get this card? My father lives in the UK and is old, I could get a phone call and have to return at any moment so I'd like to be able to get back in after taking me 7 years to get this far, my brothers and mother all live here.
Hopefully that call never happens. But in the worst case scenario, you can obtain PRTD in the UK to be able to return. Or, assuming you have British (or similar) passport or US visa, you can go to US from the UK and return to Canada in private vehicle or by foot across US land border with your landing documents instead of PR card.
Both PRTD or US land border are not too convenient - but are a solution for such situation.

Last edited:

Pauls90

Nov 16, 2018
Hopefully that call never happens. But in the worst case scenario, you can obtain PRTD in the UK to be able to return. Or, assuming you have British (or similar) passport or US visa, you can got to US from the UK and return to Canada in private vehicle or by foot across US land border with your landing documents instead of PR card.
Both PRTD or US land border are not too convenient - but are a solution for such situation.
A wonderful answer, thank you.

Jogan520

Jan 25, 2022
  • 1. If you are not in possession of a valid Permanent Resident Card, you must apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return to Canada. Normally, you apply for a PRTD at a visa application centre (VAC). Due to COVID-19, many VACs are closed or offering limited services.
  • a. Check if your VAC is open and accepting PRTD applications before you apply. If your VAC is open and accepting applications, find out how to apply for a PRTDthrough the VAC.
  • b. You can submit your application for a PRTD by email ONLY if yourVAC is closed and/or unable to accept PRTD applications.

• 2. If your VAC is closed and/or unable to accept PRTD applications, you can apply for a PRTD by email:
  • a. Read the instruction guide to make sure you prepare a complete application.
  • b. You must submit ALL required documents in the Document Checklist.
  • i. Electronic copies(scans) must be in one of the following formats: PDF, JPG, TIFF, PNG, DOC or DOCX.
  • c. Complete, sign and scan theApplication for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5524) form.
  • d. To avoid processing delays please ensure that:
  • i. Your passport is valid for at least 6 months.
  • ii. You submit an electronic copy of all pages of your passport(s) used in the last 5 years (including blank pages).
  • iii. You submit proof of residency in Canada (see Document Checklist)
  • f. If your PR card was lost or stolen you must submit a Solemn Declaration (IMM5451) form with your submission.
  • g. To pay your $50 PRTD fee click on this link and provide a copy of the receipt.
  • i. Select your country of residence
  • ii. Select: Permanent Residence
  • iii. Select: Permanent resident Travel Document’
  • h. Send the scanned copy of your application package by email:
  • 3. Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t
  • Process applications normally
  • Provide accurate processing times

Once a decision has been made on your application, you will be notified by e-mail how/where to submit your passport.

Please do not book your travel to Canada until after you have received your passport with your PRTD sticker.

If you have already submitted an incomplete request, or have made a mistake in your submission, but meet the above criteria, please resend all required documents and information in a single email.

For information on the Government of Canada’s travel restrictions and travel requirements, please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html.

If you still need assistance, you may submit your question(s) through our webform at https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx. Note: If you are submitting your question via the webform and do not know your UCI, you may enter 00000000 in the webform UCI field.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada / Government of Canada

IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca

Tackica

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Hi Pauls90! I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I truly empathize as my situation is similar. The only difference is that my essential travel is imminent. I have been waiting 236 days so far for my PR card renewal. After all failed attempts with calling and writing to IRCC, I contacted my MP. I explained that I have been waiting twice as long as the process normally takes. I submitted the letter of urgency, and my MP asked IRCC to expedite my case. Now I am hoping to get my renewed document in the next week or so. I understand that you do not have a proof of essential and urgent travel, however contacting your MP may bring some clarity to your case. In my opinion, you need to highlight that you have been waiting for more than 200 days which is almost twice as long than what we see on the official IRCC website (currently, 121 days). I still believe that my case was simply forgotten somewhere, like at the bottom of a drawer that stopped working or something. Good luck to you and let us know how it went!

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
Waiting for over 7 months now and just generic replies with no help. How hard is it to just print a piece of card and send it out.

arnabc

Apr 21, 2021
I can feel the pain you'll are going through, as I'm one of them. I've been waiting since June 22, 2021( 226 days now) for my first PR card. Surprisingly they sent the PR card in 20 days for my dependents, who were part of the same application. And those generic replies and cluelessness from IRCC call center folks are adding to the frustration.
@Jogan520 can you kindly share what you did to get the card after so long. I'm scared they might have misplaced my file altogether. Do they inform you once they dispatch the card?
@Tackica do let us know once you get your card.

dcowboys

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
I can feel the pain you'll are going through, as I'm one of them. I've been waiting since June 22, 2021( 226 days now) for my first PR card. Surprisingly they sent the PR card in 20 days for my dependents, who were part of the same application. And those generic replies and cluelessness from IRCC call center folks are adding to the frustration.
@Jogan520 can you kindly share what you did to get the card after so long. I'm scared they might have misplaced my file altogether. Do they inform you once they dispatch the card?

That's even more sadder how they got there's and you didnt. They will give you the dumbest answer when you ask why and how that is then will say yours is in progress just wait.

Jogan520

Jan 25, 2022

They told me that they didn't like the photo i sent to them but they did nothing to inform me about it, then i took another Pr Card pictures in Oct, I waited from Oct to Feb 2022 to recive the new card..I did call and they kept saying " it's been accepted but have not issue yet"

dejavus

Apr 22, 2015
They told me that they didn't like the photo i sent to them but they did nothing to inform me about it, then i took another Pr Card pictures in Oct, I waited from Oct to Feb 2022 to recive the new card..I did call and they kept saying " it's been accepted but have not issue yet"
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, I landed with my Family in August 2021, My Son got his PR card in October 2021, I got mine and my Wife's in February 2022 and my remaining 3 children hasnt got theirs until now, I contact my MP Back in April this Year and She has emailed them several times, She also advised sending Fresh photos which we did Back in April and still waiting. Last time I contacted my MP in June, My MP said IRCC was dealing with PR cards for photos received in March 2022.

I wonder how a single family application is not treated as the same. IRCC is a very disorganised.

Jogan520

Jan 25, 2022
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, I landed with my Family in August 2021, My Son got his PR card in October 2021, I got mine and my Wife's in February 2022 and my remaining 3 children hasnt got theirs until now, I contact my MP Back in April this Year and She has emailed them several times, She also advised sending Fresh photos which we did Back in April and still waiting. Last time I contacted my MP in June, My MP said IRCC was dealing with PR cards for photos received in March 2022.

I wonder how a single family application is not treated as the same. IRCC is a very disorganised.
They are busy dealing with Ukrainian refugees right now so you have to wait for another one year to get yours.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Are you currently living in Canada? Everyone is treated as an individual. You aren’t getting a family PR card. For example each family member could land on different dates. Although not your case that is why families can’t be treated as a unit.