+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT Sector in Canada

sm9

Jul 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Folks,

I would need your help in understanding what kind of IT jobs are in demand in Canada (especially Ottawa) as before I move there I would like to do some IT courses in India which are recognised worldwide and can help me fetch a good job / IT job in Canada instead of odd jobs in beginning. I am a BCA graduate and MBA marketing from India.

Few of the courses / certifications I had in mind were MCSE / CCNA / RHCE / Sap / Oracle DBA / asp DBA / Java / Programming. Pls suggest as your help will be highly appreciated.

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/information-technology-sector-booming-in-ottawa-07012014.html

A. Khan

Star Member
Mar 6, 2013
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be better if you apply for a Masters program now & after landing as a Permanent Resident you start attending a Canadian University. When you will be doing your Masters you can easily earn from Teaching Assistant (TA) & on-campus jobs.

After 1.5 years of completion of your Masters, it will be very easy for you to get into the Canadian job market. Also, Universities have Career Fairs from where you will be selected.

It is easier to get a job if you have a Canadian degree, or else you will have to struggle a lot to get a good job.

sm9

Jul 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks A Khan for your revert. I am currently working in a telecom company but have worked in IT Company as a programmer after by BCA for few years so I have working knowledge of the same. I was keen on doing some courses here in India which are globally recognized like Microsoft Certification(MCSE) or Cisco or Red Hat certification or may be SAP / DBA course so that I can get opportunity in IT rather than doing odd jobs. I am not looking for full time studies right now, I might be enrolling myself in weekend classes / part time courses. So, please suggest that what skills are in demand in Canada and some jobs which pay well as I will be moving with my wife and kid and she will not be working initially till the kid settles down.

A. Khan

Star Member
Mar 6, 2013
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Employers will "prefer" to look for a Canadian/US/UK university degree + Work Experience.

So, lets say you apply for an IT job & at the same time another person also applies to the same job who has Canadian/US/UK degree + Work Experience. The employer will most likely choose him.

To be in a stronger position of being selected, it would be better if you consider getting a Canadian degree at first. Masters degree takes 1.5 years.

You might even face employers who will look for Canadian/US/UK university degree + Canadian/US/UK Work Experience.

What I have seen here in Canada is that people with great education from back home, struggle very very hard to get into the job market. But, once you have a Canadian Masters degree (1.5 years), it is far more easier.

sm9

Jul 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I totally agree with you A. Khan but I will be moving with my spouse & kid and would not have 1.5 yrs time in hand before I start working. I am planning to do my MBA or some other course from Canadian university but as a part time course / weekend course. That is why I was looking for some certification which might help me get a fresher job in IT and then I pursue my studies with the job. Any paricular skill in demand these days. I have worked as a programmer for some tiime.

HeisenbergCanada

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A. Khan said:
It would be better if you apply for a Masters program now & after landing as a Permanent Resident you start attending a Canadian University. When you will be doing your Masters you can easily earn from Teaching Assistant (TA) & on-campus jobs.

After 1.5 years of completion of your Masters, it will be very easy for you to get into the Canadian job market. Also, Universities have Career Fairs from where you will be selected.

It is easier to get a job if you have a Canadian degree, or else you will have to struggle a lot to get a good job.
Not necessary. We recently hired an IT guy who had landed just 5 months back from Mumbai. Infact, one of the recruiters said the candidate's profile and interview skills were one of the best he has seen in many years.

GURIA~^^#

Feb 4, 2014
i want to apply under qubec skilled worker program. i have done BS Computer Scinec(4 years bachalor) .
will authority consider it equivalent to Computer Engineer ( 4 years bachlor) and award me 12 points

uscana

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2010
AOR Received.
5-12-2010
File Transfer...
10-12-2011
Med's Request
4-4-2012
Med's Done....
28-4-2012
Passport Req..
5-12-2012
This year IT market is doing very good in Canada and lot of people are getting jobs as the work permit process was tightened by Canadian government these days. Earlier companies use to outsource all the jobs or get people on WP and with election season coming closer gov is playing defensive and WP processing is taking around 5 months. so companies started recruiting people who are available in Canadian market and as per the new Monster.ca survey IT industry is going to see the highest hikes this year to 2.8%

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
Ottawa has very good IT/Technology market and the companies are not picky with the Canadian experience or degree.

I found a job in Ottawa before landing and I joined my new job directly after my landing.

What does really matter is the experience and nothing else. The technology doesn't change between the countries, so having a solid experience in any IT or technology sector will make the difference. The courses like CCNA, MCSE...etc without experience will not add any value, so don't wast your time and efforts. Also the Canadian degree can be an entry access for a junior job in Ottawa'a IT market, nothing more!

kfzmm

Star Member
Oct 25, 2010
what about PMP certified professionals in IT sector? Is Consultancy a viable option?
How is Quebec area?

regards