Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
What is Canadian Format Resume?
When I googled I found many formats in every possible way.

I was forced to Search String "Official Canadian Format Resume."
Is there really a format. you have to make a good resume precisely with all
the information you want to provide for the job you apply. From
my experience you can prepare your resume in any way you want.
There are some tricks or styles to make your resume appealing.

I can say this for sure, there is no Indian Format Resume or USA format Resume.
How the term Canadian format Resume came into existence?

hometoronto

May 23, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all doing great.

Do we have someone with a system/network background here. Please drop me a message

Thank you

Kumar2017

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hi Shwemir,
I am also from same background--manual testing. Expecting my PPR in next 10-12 days as current status is DM.
Please share how are you planning for job hunt. I am with SINP, so will have to find a suitable job in either Regina or Saskatoon.
Pls share your number and I will call you. I am from Pune. We can be of incredible mutual help to each other being from the same IT stream.

Have you got job in Canada? Please share your experience.

Kumar2017

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hey Rishab...good post and m sure it will help and motivate many new immigrants...
Even I am in the same position now and have to start a job hunt soon , could u pls send a sample CV format to my email as well pshweta2487@gmail.com
I am currently in Canada on visitor visa and my PR timeline on left...manual tester by profession and had 6 yrs work ex back home, could u guide if I should go for any courses, certifications or should apply for job ...and how's the market here for IT...

hey didi you manage to get Job in Canada please share your experience.

Kumar2017

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hi rishabshankar,

I applied PR..waiting for the PPR request..hope to get it in 1-2 months..

I would like to work in canada and im looking for Testing jobs...(Currently im a manual software Tester)

Please guide for resume preparation and how to get the job once i come there..

Please send ur sample resume..

Email id:julykafun@yahoo.com
Did you get job. Please share your experience.

Sep 16, 2017
Hi Rishab,
I appreciate you, taking time and giving us assistance.
Also appreciate if you can send us or post here Canadian CV format. Thank you.
Kind Regards,
Anant

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
I think IT jobs in Canada are fair play. It is just more competitive if the majority of immigrants coming in are centered around a few occupations ie technicians, developers, bus analyst, programmers, SW Eng., and QA Analyst. Information Technology is much more than that. So just a handful of jobs being applied by the majority of immigrants gives employers an impression of lack of alignment to the current business needs. Follow the money...An employer might want an IT Manager with good presentation skills. How do you illustrate that? Suppose an employer is looking for an individual with UX design experience, do you have that? There are many IT jobs which pay well (six figures) if you network properly. Canada similar to the US has equally bureaucratic issues but hey, that is just in the small scheme of things. Oh also, experience matters but most importantly connections and confidence. Respectfully, I have to disagree with some of the opinions. But just keep in mind, you cannot rely on any job to make you financially free OR secure. There is always a glass ceiling and an inherent risk. Well then, again i'm from North American region (wife too) so I'm accustomed to it. Be a good speaker, a good connector, aim HIGH. You may not have all the skills but get persons to like you, laugh with you. Are you reliable? Do you agree or challenge conventional ways? Opportunities are available (high paying set ie 6 figures too ;)). But hey it is just my opinion. Make sure get "big boy" certs. Go further than associates. Go for expert with professional at minimum. Look at what is going on in the world today. Folks use phones, places are being breached, mgmt is indecisive, projects barely are completed. Meet those demands and employers will be offering you jobs outside of an interview. if I were an employer, I would first start sweating if I see the person with awesome skills but lacks confidence.

- Keep your resume simple (explain during interview). Despite all the skills, you can only get a job if 1. you are short listed 2. you communicate that you are the best fit. Even if it is a technical interview, having the most proficient skills aren't any guarantee either. Any motivated person can learn technical skills. It is much more challenging to BE that leader/change agent that aligns strategic goals with IT (or any other dept for that matter). If you are coming to a 1st world country, you need to be on the path of the best that YOU can be ie expert. Don't settle for the lowest. You worked hard to get into Canada right?;)

I hope I shed some light guys/gals.

*Disclaimer - I am not suggesting any province or specialization is better than the next but just maximize every bit out of your skills (soft/hard).*

SumitVerma

Feb 4, 2019
Hello RishabShankar,

It's 9 years but your guidance and experience are really helpful. Can you please send your resume in my email id sumitnit87@gmail.com

Also I would like to connect with you in LinkedIn If you don't mind.

IeltsDream2019

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
@dsqboy....I sent a copy of my CV to your mail ID, please check

@Maverickjay and msaleem.....I cant see your email IDs in your profile, please PM me your mail IDs and I will send you also a copy of my CV for your reference.

All the Best & God Bless
Cheers,
Rishab
Hi Rishab..
Thanks for such an informative post, really helpful that I shared same with my friends who are trying for Canada settlement.
I'm working in IT in Accenture, waiting for ITA. Can you please send me few sample CV in Canadian style which u mentioned.
Thanks in advance!

Henuk

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Haven't been in this thread for a while now. Glad to see people are finding information on this thread helpful.

The job market hasn't been that good here in Edmonton, and in Alberta in general, but with Keystone XL being approved, it looks to be picking up. In the last month, some of the IT contractors I work with here in the government sector have packed up and left for their old jobs in Fort Mac, they are being recalled by their old bosses, leaving more (and better) jobs for us locals.

Lots of BA and PM jobs, some high level architect and manager jobs, and the ocassional QA job here and there. Would be a good idea to hook up with a recruiter (Randstad, Teema, Robert Half, Design Staffing, Eagle, Inteqna, to start), and try to get into a govt. sector job as much as possible. I got into the City on a 3 month contract, and now I am on my 2nd year and still going on the next extension. :)
Can you please tell me what kind of govt job are you in and how to apply for that?? I m asking this for my husband?

Amarkaur12

Mar 28, 2019
Hi All,

I am a new immigrant and have landed here with a job by god's grace. I am an IT professional. In my attempt to help all new immigrants and future immigrants I am posting job postings which I receive in the mail.

As a thumb rule the following points may help you get a job soon, this is what I personally did and I found 2 jobs one as soon as I landed last year to complete my landing formalities and another recently which I have taken up.

1. Create a Canadian format CV - This is super important, most people from India and other asian counties have CVs which run into pages and also include a lot of unnecessary info such as Date of Birth, religion, father's name, marital status, name of school, college etc. Get rid of all these junk data from your CV. Here in Canada nobody is interested in these details, all they want to know is are you qualified to do the job? do you have relevant experience in a similar job? are you able to articulate your skills clearly on your CV? thats all. remember your CV is like a movie poster, looking at the poster you should want to watch the movie, if the poster itself is boring then there is a good chance nobody will watch the movie!!

2. If you are coming from the middle east then please please lower your expectations, the economy of the middle east is flush with oil money and companies there will often pay you a lot of money for jobs like administrative officer or secretarial jobs. In Canada and the real world such is not the case, I have worked in the middle east and have seen a lot of south asians and south east asians working in jobs like office assistant and making 3000-4000 US$, nowhere else in the world will a job like that be paid a salary like that. In Canada your salary is related to the skills the job requires and the availability of those skills in the market, so if you want to wok in a generic field then be prepared for a generic salary.

3. Survival jobs are ok but if they are also a trap, if you take a survival job then you will see money coming in to your hands and more often than not survival jobs squeeze a lot of work from you in the form of overtime etc, so at the end of the day you will hardly have the time or the energy to focus on your original job hunt in your chosen field. I know a guy who came to Canada took up a job as a waiter just to survive its been 7 years and he is still a waiter because he doesnt have time to look for another job , plus he is earning decent salary so he has become complacent, he is a accountant by profession, but now a full time waiter...not because of Canada...because of the choice he made

4. If you are in a profession which is regulated in Canada, please do enough and more research about your field of work and the requirements for certification etc before even buying your ticket to Canada. This is important because in some cases you may have to get strong reference from employers or educational institutions or governing bodies in your respective countries before even applying for credential assessment in Canada. There is no point in coming here in a big rush, then finding out you need 20 documents to be attested by your college/employer and then blaming Canada for not providing you opportunities. This country works on rules and principles, follow them and there is equal opportunity to all if you want to bypass or find a shortcut then in all probability you will simply lose your way!!

5. Brush up your skills in your field of work, there are a lot of people especially in the IT field who are doing a job just because they happened to get an opportunity in that field and then just continued there and learnt technology or technical skills on the job. In Canada even if you are an IT guy with 20 yrs experience you have to prove your knowledge and in this respect certifications like CCNA, MCSE, PMP, ITIL etc are extremely helpful, because these are issued by global organizations and go a long way in establishing your credibility.

6. Networking is super super important. Both the jobs that I got in Canada, I got them through linked in, by building professional contacts. I must have applied for close to 200 jobs before I came here, but the fact that I was not physically available for interviews in Canada plus the fact that I had not worked for any Canadian company made it really really tough for me to land a job, so what I id is I modified my CV. I have worked for MNC companies like IBM and HP, so in my CV I just mentioned as IBM and HP without mentioning locations (india), this way I was able to get the attention of the person going through my CV, which means he was curious to meet me, a person who has worked for IBM or HP and then it was upto me. This small trick helped me get an opportunity to atleast interview for the job, after that it was upto me to impress the potential employer!!

7. Never apply for more than one job in the same company. Though there maybe more than one suitable job, please choose the best one and apply for it. I know that we all would like to increase our chances, but by applying for more than one job in the same company what we are communicating is that we are desperate for a job and that we really dont know which job we want an also that we are ready to take anything thrown our way. This really gives a negative impression, so try not to do it.

8. Communication is extremely important. I mean your English language skills, I am not saying you should speak English with a perfect accent or you should know the queen's English. You should be able to communicate your thoughts clearly and without any mother tongue influence. when you apply for a job and give a phone interview, you are nothing but a voice on the other end, and if that voice is not clear and understandable, then the person interviewing my lose interest or get frustrated and you will end up losing an opportunity. For your own sake, polish your communication skills. speak slowly without any accent that's all that is required, try not to use fillers like "you know", "like", "I mean", etc. when you use a phrase too many times while speaking the other person unconsciously starts paying attention only to that phrase, you can check this for yourself, speak to somebody who uses such fillers often and you will see how much of the conversation you actually paid attention to. :) this by the way is a clinically proven fact!!

Please contact he links/email/contact numbers in the ads directly. I dont know any of these people, I am just posting whatever I can find.

All the Best & God Bless
Cheers,
Rishab
Hi Rishab,

Thanks for such useful information.

I am a java Developer.I am quite confused between NOC to opt for. Basically my Experience include development,testing and deployment of applications and website.

Can you please help me to finb correct NOC 2174 or 2173 ? Do it has an impact while applying for Java developer roles.Do jobs are categorized according to NOCs? Please help me on this.

Thanks once again

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi Rishab,

Thanks for such useful information.

I am a java Developer.I am quite confused between NOC to opt for. Basically my Experience include development,testing and deployment of applications and website.

Can you please help me to finb correct NOC 2174 or 2173 ? Do it has an impact while applying for Java developer roles.Do jobs are categorized according to NOCs? Please help me on this.

Thanks once again
Dude, you are over complicating this.. just go with 2174