+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT Job Openings in Canada

Rosy10

Jun 9, 2017
Hi Ridhwan,

Thanks for the beautiful write up . Indeed this post would have helped many who wish to immigrate to Canada .

May I know the avg salary for It C,C++ script and linux software development profile having 8+ years of experience ?

#need SINP#

Star Member
Oct 28, 2015
Hello....are u currently in Canada or India ?? Even I was a manual tester back home (mumbai) and just got my PPR yesterday...have to start a job hunt soon , pretty nervous
Finding someone from the same background feels good :) Let me know if u find anything useful..
Hi Shwemir,
I am also from same background--manual testing. Expecting my PPR in next 10-12 days as current status is DM.
Please share how are you planning for job hunt. I am with SINP, so will have to find a suitable job in either Regina or Saskatoon.
Pls share your number and I will call you. I am from Pune. We can be of incredible mutual help to each other being from the same IT stream.

prateekmukund

Jun 24, 2017
Dear Rishab Shanker,
Thank you very much for putting down your thoughts. It is very helpful to us. Can you please forward your CV to my ID - prateekmukund@gmail.com.
So that I can work and customising my CV to suit the Canadian IT industry. I have 7.5 years of experience in the field in Product testing especially in the Retail and CPG domain (testing of Oracle applications and packages to be specific). I am currently working in Sydney on a work-permit AU Visa, but looking to migrate to Canada in the near future. Please guide me to find a job as a Business Analyst of Test Analyst.

Warm regards
Prateek

lazytitan

Star Member
Apr 18, 2017
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
02/22/2017
Doc's Request.
03/15/2017
AOR Received.
03/08/2017
File Transfer...
06/04/2017
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
11/27/16 PASSED - UPFRONT
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-07-2017
Hello everyone,

I'm a currently a Software QA with 5 years experience. I'm still waiting for the results of my Spousal sponsorship and if granted, I might be going to Canada this year and will be staying in Edmonton.

I've read that there's quite a challenge landing an IT job in Canada--especially in Edmonton as I can see that the job openings for my field are mostly in Toronto or Vancouver. So one of my plans is to get a certification for Software QA (maybe in NAIT or other schools once I landed), do you guys think that would be worth it?

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
Hello everyone,

I'm a currently a Software QA with 5 years experience. I'm still waiting for the results of my Spousal sponsorship and if granted, I might be going to Canada this year and will be staying in Edmonton.

I've read that there's quite a challenge landing an IT job in Canada--especially in Edmonton as I can see that the job openings for my field are mostly in Toronto or Vancouver. So one of my plans is to get a certification for Software QA (maybe in NAIT or other schools once I landed), do you guys think that would be worth it?
Hi,
Sorry I dont have an answer to your question. But I saw that you are awaiting your "spousal sponsorship", so can you tell me how long was that wait?

lazytitan

Star Member
Apr 18, 2017
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
02/22/2017
Doc's Request.
03/15/2017
AOR Received.
03/08/2017
File Transfer...
06/04/2017
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-07-2017
Hi,
Sorry I dont have an answer to your question. But I saw that you are awaiting your "spousal sponsorship", so can you tell me how long was that wait?
I'm actually waiting for the immigration's decision. The maximum processing is 12 months but most of the time, applicants get approved (or denied) after 6-7 months.

Reactions: DiNaV

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm actually waiting for the immigration's decision. The maximum processing is 12 months but most of the time, applicants get approved (or denied) after 6-7 months.
There's actually no maximum processing time. What's posted on the CIC website is an estimate - not a maximum.

lazytitan

Star Member
Apr 18, 2017
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
02/22/2017
Doc's Request.
03/15/2017
AOR Received.
03/08/2017
File Transfer...
06/04/2017
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-07-2017
There's actually no maximum processing time. What's posted on the CIC website is an estimate - not a maximum.
Yes, that is for special cases. CIC recently updated their process regarding sponsoring family members. With that new process, they are aiming to complete the processing times within 12 months including the sponsor approval. You can find more details here regarding this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2016-12-15.asp

Also, seeing the trend on the applicants under spousal sponsorship who applied after this process chanhe, they seem to be pretty working hard on this. I've seen a lot of applicants got approved after 2 months.

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
Yes, that is for special cases. CIC recently updated their process regarding sponsoring family members. With that new process, they are aiming to complete the processing times within 12 months including the sponsor approval. You can find more details here regarding this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2016-12-15.asp

Also, seeing the trend on the applicants under spousal sponsorship who applied after this process chanhe, they seem to be pretty working hard on this. I've seen a lot of applicants got approved after 2 months.
Thanks for your answer! I guess it might also depend from country to country?

And what do you mean by "sponsor approval" ? Are there certain criteria's to be fulfilled to be able to sponsor your spouse other than you being a Canadian PR or Citizen?

lazytitan

Star Member
Apr 18, 2017
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
02/22/2017
Doc's Request.
03/15/2017
AOR Received.
03/08/2017
File Transfer...
06/04/2017
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-07-2017
Thanks for your answer! I guess it might also depend from country to country?

And what do you mean by "sponsor approval" ? Are there certain criteria's to be fulfilled to be able to sponsor your spouse other than you being a Canadian PR or Citizen?
With the new processing, it won't matter anymore which country your spouse is from. It's part of the major changes they rolled out.

In spousal sponsorship, every sponsor is subject for approval. You have to prove that you can support your spouse once he/she landed in Canada, it is more of about your financial status and your job regardless if PR or citizen.

Reactions: DiNaV

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hi All,

I am a new immigrant and have landed here with a job by god's grace. I am an IT professional. In my attempt to help all new immigrants and future immigrants I am posting job postings which I receive in the mail.

As a thumb rule the following points may help you get a job soon, this is what I personally did and I found 2 jobs one as soon as I landed last year to complete my landing formalities and another recently which I have taken up.

1. Create a Canadian format CV - This is super important, most people from India and other asian counties have CVs which run into pages and also include a lot of unnecessary info such as Date of Birth, religion, father's name, marital status, name of school, college etc. Get rid of all these junk data from your CV. Here in Canada nobody is interested in these details, all they want to know is are you qualified to do the job? do you have relevant experience in a similar job? are you able to articulate your skills clearly on your CV? thats all. remember your CV is like a movie poster, looking at the poster you should want to watch the movie, if the poster itself is boring then there is a good chance nobody will watch the movie!!

2. If you are coming from the middle east then please please lower your expectations, the economy of the middle east is flush with oil money and companies there will often pay you a lot of money for jobs like administrative officer or secretarial jobs. In Canada and the real world such is not the case, I have worked in the middle east and have seen a lot of south asians and south east asians working in jobs like office assistant and making 3000-4000 US$, nowhere else in the world will a job like that be paid a salary like that. In Canada your salary is related to the skills the job requires and the availability of those skills in the market, so if you want to wok in a generic field then be prepared for a generic salary.

3. Survival jobs are ok but if they are also a trap, if you take a survival job then you will see money coming in to your hands and more often than not survival jobs squeeze a lot of work from you in the form of overtime etc, so at the end of the day you will hardly have the time or the energy to focus on your original job hunt in your chosen field. I know a guy who came to Canada took up a job as a waiter just to survive its been 7 years and he is still a waiter because he doesnt have time to look for another job , plus he is earning decent salary so he has become complacent, he is a accountant by profession, but now a full time waiter...not because of Canada...because of the choice he made

4. If you are in a profession which is regulated in Canada, please do enough and more research about your field of work and the requirements for certification etc before even buying your ticket to Canada. This is important because in some cases you may have to get strong reference from employers or educational institutions or governing bodies in your respective countries before even applying for credential assessment in Canada. There is no point in coming here in a big rush, then finding out you need 20 documents to be attested by your college/employer and then blaming Canada for not providing you opportunities. This country works on rules and principles, follow them and there is equal opportunity to all if you want to bypass or find a shortcut then in all probability you will simply lose your way!!

5. Brush up your skills in your field of work, there are a lot of people especially in the IT field who are doing a job just because they happened to get an opportunity in that field and then just continued there and learnt technology or technical skills on the job. In Canada even if you are an IT guy with 20 yrs experience you have to prove your knowledge and in this respect certifications like CCNA, MCSE, PMP, ITIL etc are extremely helpful, because these are issued by global organizations and go a long way in establishing your credibility.

6. Networking is super super important. Both the jobs that I got in Canada, I got them through linked in, by building professional contacts. I must have applied for close to 200 jobs before I came here, but the fact that I was not physically available for interviews in Canada plus the fact that I had not worked for any Canadian company made it really really tough for me to land a job, so what I id is I modified my CV. I have worked for MNC companies like IBM and HP, so in my CV I just mentioned as IBM and HP without mentioning locations (india), this way I was able to get the attention of the person going through my CV, which means he was curious to meet me, a person who has worked for IBM or HP and then it was upto me. This small trick helped me get an opportunity to atleast interview for the job, after that it was upto me to impress the potential employer!!

7. Never apply for more than one job in the same company. Though there maybe more than one suitable job, please choose the best one and apply for it. I know that we all would like to increase our chances, but by applying for more than one job in the same company what we are communicating is that we are desperate for a job and that we really dont know which job we want an also that we are ready to take anything thrown our way. This really gives a negative impression, so try not to do it.

8. Communication is extremely important. I mean your English language skills, I am not saying you should speak English with a perfect accent or you should know the queen's English. You should be able to communicate your thoughts clearly and without any mother tongue influence. when you apply for a job and give a phone interview, you are nothing but a voice on the other end, and if that voice is not clear and understandable, then the person interviewing my lose interest or get frustrated and you will end up losing an opportunity. For your own sake, polish your communication skills. speak slowly without any accent that's all that is required, try not to use fillers like "you know", "like", "I mean", etc. when you use a phrase too many times while speaking the other person unconsciously starts paying attention only to that phrase, you can check this for yourself, speak to somebody who uses such fillers often and you will see how much of the conversation you actually paid attention to. :) this by the way is a clinically proven fact!!

Please contact he links/email/contact numbers in the ads directly. I dont know any of these people, I am just posting whatever I can find.

All the Best & God Bless
Cheers,
Rishab
Hi Rishab, can you please send me a sample Canadian-format CV? My email is pauljohnpestano@gmail.com

Thank you!

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Just sharing if it's of any use to you guys. IT industry in Canada is very unorganized and no way comparable to US, UK or even Germany.

Some of you might have experiences working in environments which are very process oriented, you know where everything is documented and audited, and signed off by stakeholders even before it goes to production. A lot of such standard IT practices are non existent in Canada.

This makes everyone except developers at a slight disadvantage. I have been working for a major bank who spend millions of dollars a year on IT, and even they do not give much importance to concepts like QA or good software management practices. And it's mostly the same story across the board.

So be mentally prepared for it, and if possible, try to learn some development on the technologies you are working at. Number of jobs and salaries are much more higher for developers than for QA or analysts.

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
Just sharing if it's of any use to you guys. IT industry in Canada is very unorganized and no way comparable to US, UK or even Germany.

Some of you might have experiences working in environments which are very process oriented, you know where everything is documented and audited, and signed off by stakeholders even before it goes to production. A lot of such standard IT practices are non existent in Canada.

This makes everyone except developers at a slight disadvantage. I have been working for a major bank who spend millions of dollars a year on IT, and even they do not give much importance to concepts like QA or good software management practices. And it's mostly the same story across the board.

So be mentally prepared for it, and if possible, try to learn some development on the technologies you are working at. Number of jobs and salaries are much more higher for developers than for QA or analysts.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Is this from personal experience or you are sharing information which you have received from other sources?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Is this from personal experience or you are sharing information which you have received from other sources?
Personal as well as what some other friends have experienced.