May 30, 2014
Med's Request
Dec 5, 2014
Med's Done....
Dec 29, 2014
Passport Req..
May 13, 2015
Hi
i am an international student studying at Nait. My study/work Permit expires at end of April 2014 and my course also finishes on 28th april 2014. So to apply for a post study work permit after my course do i need to extend my study permit first and then apply for post study work permit. Also on my spouse visa it says 'spouse on study permit valid to same date'. and spouse visa expires at the end of july 2014, 3 months after my visa expires. please guide me what should be done. i think there is no need to extend my study permit and i think i can directly apply for a post study work permit.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajeevsharma said:
Hi
i am an international student studying at Nait. My study/work Permit expires at end of April 2014 and my course also finishes on 28th april 2014. So to apply for a post study work permit after my course do i need to extend my study permit first and then apply for post study work permit. Also on my spouse visa it says 'spouse on study permit valid to same date'. and spouse visa expires at the end of july 2014, 3 months after my visa expires. please guide me what should be done. i think there is no need to extend my study permit and i think i can directly apply for a post study work permit.

Once your study is over, you have 90 days time to decide if you wish to study further or apply for PGWP. However, you won't be able to apply until you receive transcripts and letter from Uni/College confirming you passed it which usually takes another one month. So it's always advisable to have study visa of at least 2 to 3 months ahead of finish date. I don't think spending 140 CAD is not worth doing it, although I have said you have 90 days to apply for PGWP and even if you apply on the last date which means 90th day. But consider the fact, is it really worth taking risk or just spend 140 CAD?
Choice is always yours.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
rajeevsharma said:
Hi
added to this You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
@sabby: Why would CIC extend his study permit beyond the date his program ends?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They always do... they give you 2 to 3 months extra. You can ask people who extended their study permit, they always (mostly) get 2 to three months extra. But it's not their job to do so, it's your job to do so. When you are at POE, IO asks u how long you will stay and ur study... you should simply tell him, although my study will finish by May 2015, but then transcripts and letter may take another 2 months, so could you please give me extra 2 months study permit, and in most cases he/she will. Smart people exercise this option and get away from spending another 150 CAD to renew SP.

Cheers!

Reactions: alvynloo96

rajeevsharma

Dec 5, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 25, 2014
AOR Received.
May 30, 2014
Med's Request
Dec 5, 2014
Med's Done....
Dec 29, 2014
Passport Req..
May 13, 2015
Hi All, Thanks for the info . I will do the same to get my extension of my study permit first. it wont hurt to spend CAD 150 but one last question my spouse is on open work permit and her visa expires at the end of july 2014 and it says 'spouse on study permit valid to same date'. what does this mean then?

Thanks again and appreciate for your time provided to help me

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajeevsharma said:
Hi All, Thanks for the info . I will do the same to get my extension of my study permit first. it wont hurt to spend CAD 150 but one last question my spouse is on open work permit and her visa expires at the end of july 2014 and it says 'spouse on study permit valid to same date'. what does this mean then?

Thanks again and appreciate for your time provided to help me
TRV isn't important unless you planning leave and re-enter the country. What's important is the permit - be it study or work permit.

rajeevsharma

Dec 5, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
NOC A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 25, 2014
AOR Received.
May 30, 2014
Med's Request
Dec 5, 2014
Med's Done....
Dec 29, 2014
Passport Req..
May 13, 2015
thanks sabby. thanks a lot. appreciate that :)