+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there any financial aid provided for newcomers from the government?

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
Hello All,

I landed last year on my EE PR. I left after 3 weeks to continue my work overseas and save some money. Now, I am planning to move permanently end of this year. Knowing that finding job before arrival is almost impossible, I need to prepare plan B to keep through the times there without income. I have two questions:
1. Are the current CERB and EI programs offered by the Canadian government cover people like me if I move there while they are still ongoing? (I did not work in Canada in the past)
2. Assuming these programs terminated (e.g. Covid is over), what other financial aid provided by the government for the newcomer? I know there are service to help with finding a job, or improve language etc. However, my question is mainly on the financial support. Is there anything that I can rely on to at least cover part of my family's expenses until I find a job?

Thank You!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I landed last year on my EE PR. I left after 3 weeks to continue my work overseas and save some money. Now, I am planning to move permanently end of this year. Knowing that finding job before arrival is almost impossible, I need to prepare plan B to keep through the times there without income. I have two questions:
1. Are the current CERB and EI programs offered by the Canadian government cover people like me if I move there while they are still ongoing? (I did not work in Canada in the past)
2. Assuming these programs terminated (e.g. Covid is over), what other financial aid provided by the government for the newcomer? I know there are service to help with finding a job, or improve language etc. However, my question is mainly on the financial support. Is there anything that I can rely on to at least cover part of my family's expenses until I find a job?

Thank You!
You don't qualify for EI since you haven't paid into the system for a number of months and you don't qualify for other income replacement programs related to covid because you didn't lose you job in Canada due to covid. As a new PR you need to prove POF because that is supposed to be used to settle in Canada. In reality you will likely need more especially if you have children and want to make them comfortable. Adults could try to live on very little in a rented room to minimize spending. If you are worried about funds I would suggest moving to Canada on your own and rent a room to keep your expenses as low as possible while you apply for jobs across Canada and take a survival job while you are waiting for another job so you're not depleting your savings. Once you've found a job, secured a place to stay you can have your family join you. If you have exhausted all your savings there is a welfare program but that doesn't provide a lot of money so most are still dependent on charity for things like food.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All,

Thank You!
1. No you have not worked in Canada and paid into the system. EI is there if you are laid off from you job, and only available if you have worked a certain amount of works. CERB was phased out.
2. There is no financial aid. In your area, there are employment centres to help with resume writing, job search etc. Your local new immigrant centre may have language classes. But there is no government support unless you go on welfare. Canada doesn’t covers people’s expenses while you find a job. That is what your POF are for.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I left after 3 weeks to continue my work overseas and save some money.
seems like you had a plan to save money so likely you knew the costs and also showed settlement funds on your application. You will have to survive on your own savings. If you are worried about costs with family then it would be better to move alone initially

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

Thank You!
There's really not much available. This is why you have to demonstrate proof of funds as part of the EE application process. These are the funds you will use to settle your family in Canada and to support yourselves while you get established, find jobs, etc.

Assuming you have kids, you can apply for the Canadian Child Tax Benefit once you have moved to Canada. However this isn't very much money. The rest needs to come from your savings / POF.