+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a way to check if my renewal app was received if I didn't get tracking?

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I sent in my PR card renewal application March 12. I made a mistake and didn't get tracking at that time. I guess I just figured I could get updates on it online.

But I can't seem to link my application because it tells me nothing was found when I try. My PR card expires in May, and now I am worried that they didn't get my app at all.

So I have a few main questions if someone could help me out.

1. Is there a way I can check to make sure they got my application? I really don't want to do the application again and get tracking, but I'm kinda stressing about this.

2. This is just something this whole situation made me think of, but assuming they did receive the app, is my residency status good while I wait for the processing? Am I still considered within status while it processes even if my PR card expires?

Thanks so much in advance for any help. I appreciate the people here and the advice so generously given.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I sent in my PR card renewal application March 12. I made a mistake and didn't get tracking at that time. I guess I just figured I could get updates on it online.

But I can't seem to link my application because it tells me nothing was found when I try. My PR card expires in May, and now I am worried that they didn't get my app at all.

So I have a few main questions if someone could help me out.

1. Is there a way I can check to make sure they got my application? I really don't want to do the application again and get tracking, but I'm kinda stressing about this.

2. This is just something this whole situation made me think of, but assuming they did receive the app, is my residency status good while I wait for the processing? Am I still considered within status while it processes even if my PR card expires?

Thanks so much in advance for any help. I appreciate the people here and the advice so generously given.
Read through the plethora of issues others are having with the online portal, in the Permanet Residency Obligation Forum; It's riddled with problems just like you're reporting.

1. You can try calling IRCC, but even if you're lucky enough to reach a human, you may or may not get an accurate answer. You can also try submitting a webform.

2. Only the PR Card expires. Your PR status will remain even with an expired PR Card. If you were to travel outside of Canada, you would have to return via the US and cross at a land PoE in a personal vehicle, because a commercial carrier requires a valid PR Card to return to Canada. CBSA does NOT, but a valid card is the best proof that you're a PR.

Reactions: epmarshall

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read through the plethora of issues others are having with the online portal, in the Permanet Residency Obligation Forum; It's riddled with problems just like you're reporting.

1. You can try calling IRCC, but even if you're lucky enough to reach a human, you may or may not get an accurate answer. You can also try submitting a webform.

2. Only the PR Card expires. Your PR status will remain even with an expired PR Card. If you were to travel outside of Canada, you would have to return via the US and cross at a land PoE in a personal vehicle, because a commercial carrier requires a valid PR Card to return to Canada. CBSA does NOT, but a valid card is the best proof that you're a PR.

Thanks so much for your good advice and support for us all, Ponga! I will try your suggestions regarding calling and submitting the webform.
Okay, so my card expiring doesn't affect my status, that's good to know.

So if I'm not travelling for a while, are you saying that it doesn't really matter whether or not I get my application in before my card expires in May? If that is the case, can I basically wait to see if they got the app or not before I rush to get another application sent in before May? Sorry to ask yet another question of you, but I just wanted to clarify if you have time.

I do appreciate all that you do for others, here!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much for your good advice and support for us all, Ponga! I will try your suggestions regarding calling and submitting the webform.
Okay, so my card expiring doesn't affect my status, that's good to know.

So if I'm not travelling for a while, are you saying that it doesn't really matter whether or not I get my application in before my card expires in May? If that is the case, can I basically wait to see if they got the app or not before I rush to get another application sent in before May? Sorry to ask yet another question of you, but I just wanted to clarify if you have time.

I do appreciate all that you do for others, here!
Thank you for your kind words.

You can certainly wait a while to see if your application is processed, but...in the event of an emergency where you need to leave Canada (family emergency, for example) it would be difficult without having a valid PR Card to return to Canada via a commercial carrier. You would probably need to return via a land PoE from the U.S. (in a personal vehicle).

Hopefully, you can reach someone at IRCC to give you some info.

Also, be aware that it looks like IRCC may be striking soon, which would only add to the delays and angst!

Reactions: epmarshall

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your kind words.

You can certainly wait a while to see if your application is processed, but...in the event of an emergency where you need to leave Canada (family emergency, for example) it would be difficult without having a valid PR Card to return to Canada via a commercial carrier. You would probably need to return via a land PoE from the U.S. (in a personal vehicle).

Hopefully, you can reach someone at IRCC to give you some info.

Also, be aware that it looks like IRCC may be striking soon, which would only add to the delays and angst!
Okay, thanks so much again for the info, Ponga. Also, I saw where the webform says if you're in normal processing times they won't respond.. So I guess I will try to see what I can do with calling but I'm not expecting too much from that.

I'm still kind of anxious just waiting but I have a bit of time and at least my status is okay regardless of the date. Again, I appreciate it!