+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a tax credit for taking care of my elderly parents who live in my house?

PEHAT

Nov 2, 2021
Vancouver, BC
I have brought my elderly parents to Canada through the "Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship" program. They live in my house, I supply all necessities and care for them.
Can I declare them as my "dependents" like I do for my children and claim some tax credits?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have brought my elderly parents to Canada through the "Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship" program. They live in my house, I supply all necessities and care for them.
Can I declare them as my "dependents" like I do for my children and claim some tax credits?
The whole point of PGP is that you will take care financially for them without government help.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No. not in the normal situation

You are supposed to provide for your parents while they are still your undertaking.
This is for whoever you need to support (parents, spouse...etc) whose physically or mentally impaired. That's why I said not in the normal case.

Who can you claim this credit for?
You may be able to claim the CCC if you support your spouse or common-law partner with a physical or mental impairment.

PEHAT

Nov 2, 2021
Vancouver, BC
No. not in the normal situation

You are supposed to provide for your parents while they are still your undertaking.
This is for whoever you need to support (parents, spouse...etc) whose physically or mentally impaired. That's why I said not in the normal case.

Who can you claim this credit for?
You may be able to claim the CCC if you support your spouse or common-law partner with a physical or mental impairment.

Kindly thanks for the detailed answer, but I am not considering CCC (Canada Caregiver Credit (Line 30450)).
Instead I am trying to understand the "Amount for an eligible dependant" (Line 30400 – formerly 305).

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
As well they only recently arrived into Canada . The financial aspect of support should have been part of deciding if one could support them before they arrived.

mfaisalm.ch

Dec 11, 2013
As a sponsor of your elderly parents under the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship program, you may be eligible to claim some tax credits and benefits related to their care. However, the eligibility criteria for claiming your parents as dependents are different from those for claiming your children.

To claim your parents as dependents, they must meet certain criteria set out by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). These criteria include being a resident of Canada, being financially dependent on you, and having a net income of less than the basic personal amount.

To be considered financially dependent on you, your parents must rely on you for food, shelter, and other basic needs. You must also provide more than half of their financial support in the tax year in question.

If your parents meet the CRA's criteria for being your dependents, you may be able to claim certain tax credits and benefits, such as the caregiver amount, the medical expense tax credit, and the disability tax credit (if applicable).

I would recommend consulting a tax professional or using tax software to determine whether you are eligible to claim your parents as dependents and to ensure that you are complying with Canadian tax laws.