+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is the validity of Temporary Resident Visa based on the validity of Biometrics??

Shadshadak

May 15, 2022
Hi All,
I have applied for a temporary resident visa and my passport is valid until April, 2027 but the validity of my 10 years biometrics is until February 2026. My visa application has been approved and I have received the pass request letter together with a letter notifying the biometric validity and stating that the biometric information must be valid for the duration of temporary stay in Canada. Now, my question is that in this case my visa validity will be until February 2026 and not until the end of validity of my passport?? In the same letter it has been mentioned " if you wish to extend the validity of your permit or visa beyond the validity date indicated you can provide your biometric information again and pay the associated fee for another ten-year validity" Could you please inform me about this matter? if the validity of the visa will be based on the validity of my biometrics so how can I provide my biometric information again to extend the visa validity??
Thank you.

shahroze

Star Member
Nov 11, 2011
Scarborough
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,
I have applied for a temporary resident visa and my passport is valid until April, 2027 but the validity of my 10 years biometrics is until February 2026. My visa application has been approved and I have received the pass request letter together with a letter notifying the biometric validity and stating that the biometric information must be valid for the duration of temporary stay in Canada. Now, my question is that in this case my visa validity will be until February 2026 and not until the end of validity of my passport?? In the same letter it has been mentioned " if you wish to extend the validity of your permit or visa beyond the validity date indicated you can provide your biometric information again and pay the associated fee for another ten-year validity" Could you please inform me about this matter? if the validity of the visa will be based on the validity of my biometrics so how can I provide my biometric information again to extend the visa validity??
Thank you.
Hello,
Visa validity can not exceed the biometric validity period. If biometrics are valid you can still enroll for biometrics while applying for visitor/supervise. However, once you submit the application you can still voluntarily enroll for biometrics and have them update biometrics for your current application. Please see blew.
1. Pay your biometric fee online
2. Upload the receipt through webform (add a document to your application) and explain that you are requesting for BIL (Biometric Instruction Letter)
3 IRCC will send you an automated email within 5 business days and after a couple of days, you will receive BIL on your Visitor application portal account.

Link for online payment/receipt and webform
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1513&top=19
Link: Biometric Validity vs Visa Validity
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/identity-management/biometrics/validity.html

Reactions: Shadshadak

Shadshadak

May 15, 2022
Dear Shahroze,

Thank you for your reply. I have received the pass request letter which is valid for one month. If I pay the biometric fees, I think that I can not add any documents to my application now and need to provide it through webform, am I correct? In this case, doesnt it take too much time I mean more than one month to receive the BIL?

Shadshadak

May 15, 2022
As we are also currently applying for my brothers family, He also has same situation as mine but he is applying together with his wife in one application. His wife has never provided biometrics and they are going to travel at the same time to provide biometrics. In this case I think may be it is better for them to apply on paper. Because when I submit the application, we will receive his wife's BIL within 24 hours with one month validity. If we pay the biometric fees for him and upload the receipt we must wait for IRCC reply to send us his BIL and it might take some more time. What do you think?

TrvApp4322

Apr 12, 2023
Hello,
Visa validity can not exceed the biometric validity period. If biometrics are valid you can still enroll for biometrics while applying for visitor/supervise. However, once you submit the application you can still voluntarily enroll for biometrics and have them update biometrics for your current application. Please see blew.
1. Pay your biometric fee online
2. Upload the receipt through webform (add a document to your application) and explain that you are requesting for BIL (Biometric Instruction Letter)
3 IRCC will send you an automated email within 5 business days and after a couple of days, you will receive BIL on your Visitor application portal account.

Link for online payment/receipt and webform
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1513&top=19
Link: Biometric Validity vs Visa Validity
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/identity-management/biometrics/validity.html
Hi I did all the steps you mentioned above for my parents. Their biometrics validity was only upto 1 year [2024]. I paid the fee for biometrics and raised the web form for them on March 24th attaching the receipt with it and asking for BIL. However on April 12, they got biometrics correspondence letter and passport request letter at the same time. On biometrics correspondence letter the biometrics validity is stated till 2024. I am confused as to why they ignored my request for BIL. And how can I get the biometrics validity extended. I raised another Webform. Can they go to the VSF office near them and enroll their biometrics without the BIL? Will they consider sending them BIL now that they have already approved their visas and asked for passport request? We have waited for this visa for almost 2 years so getting it stamped only for 1 year seems very short considering the wait times and processing times of Canada visitor applications. please advice

Fahad Rajput

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Hyderabad,Sindh
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I Just posted this thread but find your thread useful so please also help me in this?

Hello Folks,

Recently i submit my family application for visit visa on 14th Apr by using new IRCC portal. there is an option to ask have you ever give biometric i select yes because i had biometric in 2016. Then right below to that question these was another question (do you again want give biometric if you travel document have validity i select yes. Because my Passport valid up to 2028 and last biometric valid for 2026. Then in last they ask to pay applications fee and biometric fee(170$) its means for two for my wife and for me. But quantity showing only one. Yesterday i receive biometric letter for my wife but not for me. In my application status they automatically detect my last biometric which is valid for 2026. so i am quite confused they detect fee but not give me any letter and also they automatically upload my last biometric.

My question is they will send me a letter later or refund my fee? or consider the previous biometric? If they consider my previous one then why there is question DO YOU WANT TO GIVE BIOMETRIC AGAIN IF TRAVEL DOCUMENT VALIDITY BEYOND THE LAST BIOMETRIC.

I really appreciate your assistance in this regard any answer from you would really appreciated by me and my family. i search many places but cant find the right answer.