+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is that possible for an international student in the UK to get visitor visa?

mik2202

Jul 19, 2014
Hi everyone,

I made a visa application to Canada and I got rejected yesterday. They mentioned that I didnt satisy some areas:
1. Travel history
2. Immigration status
3. Current employment status
4. Personal assets and financial status.

I dont know why it is that difficult to get a visitor visa. I am currently an international post graduate student in the UK. Apart from UK, I have never travelled to any country. How can I get any evidence for my travel history?
I also dont have any idea why I have any problem with immigration status, I have a tier 4 visa for studying in the UK, never commited any crime in the UK or have any problem with immigration.
I am working part-time and already included my monthly income in the application package. (I am self-employed so the employer does not provide me any proof that I am working there apart from a card and my monthly wage)
I do not have any personal assets at the moment in the UK.
About financial status, I got 2500 GBP in my bank account, equal to around 4000 CAD ( I just applied for one week). This amount of money I got from my parents and my wage. I had a letter of support and income proof from parents.

I also attached my booking for the flight back home from the UK, which showed that I would leave Canada at the end of the period. I just intend to come there for travelling.

Anyone can help, please?
I am considering reapplying, but dont know which documents that I will have to add.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Re: Is that possible for an UK student to get visitor visa?

you are from the UK, therefore you do NOT need a visa to visit canada. UK citizens are visa exempt, so of course any application for a VISITOR visa will be rejected. If you want to visit canada, all you have to do is show up at the border with your passport. The airline won't require a visa because they know UK citizens do NOT need a visa to visit Canada. The border agent will ask you some questions and let you in assuming you aren't planning to work or go to school.

So no, it's NOT possible for a UK citizen to get a visa... because they are VISA EXEMPT! No need to apply again, just get on the plane and go! If you are NOT from the UK, and are just studying there, that is a different story.

If you go to the immigration website and put your home country in, and assuming it's part of the UK, my guess CIC will tell you the same thing:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013

The OP is not from UK, he is an international student in UK, so if his country of citizenship is not visa exempt, he will need a visa!
Immigration status is referring to the fact that you dont have a secure status in UK, I.e ur not a citizen, so u could be kicked out anytime.
rhcohen2014 said:
you are from the UK, therefore you do NOT need a visa to visit canada. UK citizens are visa exempt, so of course any application for a VISITOR visa will be rejected. If you want to visit canada, all you have to do is show up at the border with your passport. The airline won't require a visa because they know UK citizens do NOT need a visa to visit Canada. The border agent will ask you some questions and let you in assuming you aren't planning to work or go to school.

So no, it's NOT possible for a UK citizen to get a visa... because they are VISA EXEMPT! No need to apply again, just get on the plane and go! If you are NOT from the UK, and are just studying there, that is a different story.

If you go to the immigration website and put your home country in, and assuming it's part of the UK, my guess CIC will tell you the same thing:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

swords1010

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01 June 2014
Passport Req..
10 June 2014

Canadian TRV is a huge pain in the butt. Don't be surprised. You can reapply, but no guarantees... You have to produce a really strong application this second time. What is the country issuing your passport?

How come you are currently a postgraduate student? In the summer? Are you in a 2 years post-grad course and you just finished your first year, or did you just graduate? If you've graduated this will make it hard to impossible for you to get a TRV on this basis. Especially if you are in the UK on a student visa, valid for the time of your studies only. If this is the case, then focus on demonstrating bonds with your home country rather than with the UK. If not, and you are staying in the UK, cool. :p Let us know what your immigration status is, actually. ;)

As for the travel...If you are an interntional student you made at least one travel - you moved to the UK. Write a letter and list all of your movements in it, explaining that these are the only travels you've made, including a short description of the purpose of each travel.
In fact, write a short explanation letter for everything in your application that is not too clear. There should be no room for misinterpretations from their side.

Attach contracts and proofs of payments received. Even if you are self-employed in the UK, you should have paperwork proving you do some kind of work for someone else. If not, then get it - you can always ask people to sign backdated agreements for the work you've done for them. They may not agree, but you can try. Write a letter FROM the person you CURRENTLY working for, explaining you will continue to work for them in the long term and ask this person if they would sign it for you. 8)

Where do you live? You can attach a letter from you landlord, confirming you have been paying your rent and the place is currently held by you. If you don't have assets in the UK, you can provide proofs of assets in your home country. ::)

mik2202

Jul 19, 2014

First of all, I really appreciate all replies to my post. I am quite hopeless at the moment with the visa to CA :'(.

I am currently a post-graduate student in an university in Scotland. My course starts on 20.09.2013 and will end on 20.09.2014. I am on "Tier 4 Student visa" and my UK visa wont expire until 20.01.2015( but I do understand from those applying for EU visa that I can only apply for a visitor visa 3 months before the UK visa expires, so I applied for the period from 10.09 to 17.09, my course will not have finished at that time as well). That's why I dont understand why the officer is not happy with my immigration status. I have the status letter from my university which stated that I am still a student until 20.09.2014.

I am a self-employed worker and part-time worker in the UK. I enclosed all my invoices and my monthly wages from my employers. They can even see the payment on my bank account since the numbers match exactly.

I even enclosed my flight ticket to my home country from the UK (which is 500 GBP), I dont understand why the officer is still thinking that I would NOT likely to leave CA at the end of the period. I just intend to visit my friend and see the country a little bit, then come back to get my degree. I wont get my degree until November 2014.

Do you think I should reapply, the fee is what I am thinking too much about, 112 GBP. And whether or not I should get an invitation letter from my friend saying that she will accomodate me and show me around. She is currently a PhD student in Canada.

Apart from these letters you mentioned above, is there anything I can prepare for this second time.
Please help if you can!!! I am really grateful.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014

mik2202 said:
Hi everyone,
Hi

mik2202 said:
1. Travel history
Not much to do here.

mik2202 said:
2. Immigration status
You are a student in a second country. Therefore your status is unsteady and temporal, easy for you to move around.

mik2202 said:
3. Current employment status
Self employment is not that good of an argument. This is not about you having a wage, money or employment this is about having something that forces you to go back. In fact you could work illegally in Canada as you can self employ yourself again as you did in the UK.

mik2202 said:
4. Personal assets and financial status.
Well... you are an international student, so not much to do here neither.

mik2202 said:
I am currently a post-graduate student in an university in Scotland. My course starts on 20.09.2013 and will end on 20.09.2014. I am on "Tier 4 Student visa" and my UK visa wont expire until 20.01.2015( but I do understand from those applying for EU visa that I can only apply for a visitor visa 3 months before the UK visa expires, so I applied for the period from 10.09 to 17.09, my course will not have finished at that time as well). That's why I dont understand why the officer is not happy with my immigration status. I have the status letter from my university which stated that I am still a student until 20.09.2014.
Uh? you only have a status for barely two months? o_O

That is suspicious, going to Canada by the end of studies.... smells like at least job seeking....

mik2202 said:
I am a self-employed worker and part-time worker in the UK. I enclosed all my invoices and my monthly wages from my employers. They can even see the payment on my bank account since the numbers match exactly.
Yup, so basically you have no attachment to where you are, you just can one day decide to immigrate to another country....

mik2202 said:
I even enclosed my flight ticket to my home country from the UK (which is 500 GBP), I dont understand why the officer is still thinking that I would NOT likely to leave CA at the end of the period. I just intend to visit my friend and see the country a little bit, then come back to get my degree. I wont get my degree until November 2014.
So how exactly a ticket from UK to home would matter to a Canadian Immigration Officer? This makes no sense. If it is not a ticket from Canada to somewhere else it is basically irrelevant.

mik2202 said:
Do you think I should reapply, the fee is what I am thinking too much about, 112 GBP. And whether or not I should get an invitation letter from my friend saying that she will accomodate me and show me around. She is currently a PhD student in Canada.
You didn't include an invitation letter? Seriously? No doubt you got refused....

What else did you not include?

I would recommend not to apply again though. First make sure to have a steady and obvious status in the UK, with only two months that is incredibly weak and would suggest you are looking for your next move and not actually a visit.

swords1010

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01 June 2014
Passport Req..
10 June 2014
I am concerned about your immigration status being a main reason for the refusal. Your travel coincides with the end of your course - even though your graduation is in November - nobody cares about that. To them it simply sounds like - "Oh, I finished my stuff here, let's move to Canada!". There isn't much you can do about it. Honestly, it does sound suspicious. And it is a very, very, very good reason for them to give someone a refusal. : ))

You should DEFINTIELY attach an invitation from your friend. This is a must! :eek: There is enough info in the CIC website on what it has to contain, but you should also add details explaining how you met your friend and showing you know them well. You can also include explanation letter from yourself, explaining your connection and make sure the story matches. Add some letter from your family, where they say they are expecting you to return on that specific date and are looking forward to having you back. They can also say they are willing to provide you with financial support. Just list someone from your family as a supporter and add financial status proofs for them as well. 8)

Oh, you have a part-time job?!? Then use that contract as a proof of bonds. Not the self-employment, which doesn't do much for you. :-X

Just be creative! :p Show connections with as many people in your country as you can (in whatever way you can), show connections with your uni, include results letter showing your commitment to achieving good grades in your course. Add statements from your landlord showing you have been able to cover your bills. Make sure you add short explanatory letters for vague things such as the financial documentation or the sources of your income proofs of which you are applying. Really, just be creative. Add as many paperwork as you can. In your whole application you should be basically giving good answers to the question why you are going to leave Canada.

One last thing... Do you apply on paper? Try applying through the online system - it's easier, much more organised, it's clear what you are expected to do and I believe - quicker. ::)

Good luck! ;)

mik2202

Jul 19, 2014
Hi

So how exactly a ticket from UK to home would matter to a Canadian Immigration Officer? This makes no sense. If it is not a ticket from Canada to somewhere else it is basically irrelevant.
I write a letter to the immigration officer, saying that It means that I will go back to the UK for a definite, the flight ticket is not cheap. I didnt book a return ticket right away between Uk and Canada since I think that they will not likely to accept my case.

You didn't include an invitation letter? Seriously? No doubt you got refused....

What else did you not include?

You should DEFINTIELY attach an invitation from your friend. This is a must! :eek: There is enough info in the CIC website on what it has to contain, but you should also add details explaining how you met your friend and showing you know them well.
I didnt include an invitation letter from my friend since my friend is not a Canadian. They might think that sb is going to accomodate me and feed me, they will have more reasons to refuse my case and think that I am gonna stay there forever, which IS NOT my intention for a definite. If now I apply again and include this invitation letter, will this cause any other doubts or problems?

I would recommend not to apply again though. First make sure to have a steady and obvious status in the UK, with only two months that is incredibly weak and would suggest you are looking for your next move and not actually a visit.
I am concerned about your immigration status being a main reason for the refusal. Your travel coincides with the end of your course - even though your graduation is in November - nobody cares about that. To them it simply sounds like - "Oh, I finished my stuff here, let's move to Canada!". There isn't much you can do about it. Honestly, it does sound suspicious. And it is a very, very, very good reason for them to give someone a refusal. : ))
I know that might sound suspicious but she is honestly, my gf. So I just want to see her before going back home.

You can also include explanation letter from yourself, explaining your connection and make sure the story matches. Add some letter from your family, where they say they are expecting you to return on that specific date and are looking forward to having you back. They can also say they are willing to provide you with financial support. Just list someone from your family as a supporter and add financial status proofs for them as well. 8)
I included my letter of support from parents already, saying that they will pay for my visit.

Just be creative! :p Show connections with as many people in your country as you can (in whatever way you can), show connections with your uni, include results letter showing your commitment to achieving good grades in your course. Add statements from your landlord showing you have been able to cover your bills. Make sure you add short explanatory letters for vague things such as the financial documentation or the sources of your income proofs of which you are applying. Really, just be creative. Add as many paperwork as you can. In your whole application you should be basically giving good answers to the question why you are going to leave Canada.
Thank a lot, this is very helpful for me.

One last thing... Do you apply on paper? Try applying through the online system - it's easier, much more organised, it's clear what you are expected to do and I believe - quicker. ::)
Good luck! ;)
I cannt apply online since I had to give biometrics.

Honestly, I just want to visit since lots of international students can apply visa to EU quite easily 3 months before the visa in the UK expires. That's why I thought that Canadian Visa would work similarly. However, it seems that it is not. So it seems like that I should go home, get jobs and get settled before getting any TRV to any countries.

Guys, a final question for my case, how much percent of success do you think I have if I apply with an invitation letter from my friend included; proof of personal assets at home ( I have certifcate saying that I will take over a small property at home from my parents) and letter explaining that my gf is there and I wont meet her in 2 years time if I cant go to Canada, I have strong bonds with my parents at home and will go back to my homecountry to take over the property, I have good commitment at my university; letter from university saying that I will go back to the UK to attend the graduation ceremony (I will try to get this one) and a visitor visa to Europe as well.

Thanks!

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
you can apply online. they will send you a letter requesting you to go give ur biometrics
mik2202 said:
I cannt apply online since I had to give biometrics.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
mik2202 said:
I write a letter to the immigration officer, saying that It means that I will go back to the UK for a definite, the flight ticket is not cheap.
Usually when you have to explain something it is because it is not clear by itself. Documentation that is not self explanatory is usually a weak argument.

mik2202 said:
I didnt include an invitation letter from my friend since my friend is not a Canadian. They might think that sb is going to accomodate me and feed me, they will have more reasons to refuse my case and think that I am gonna stay there forever, which IS NOT my intention for a definite. If now I apply again and include this invitation letter, will this cause any other doubts or problems?
First of all stop thinking what CIC will think. That is why you got denied, because you tried to come up with an application that you thought would satisfy them and not with an application that was overall honest.

If you are going to visit someone then that someone (Canadian or not) has to invite you. If your friend is willing to give you accommodation then that is a strong point and will add to your case. This would make even more sense as you are still a student.

The invitation letter is at the core of your application. Without it you are very likely to be denied if you can't prove you are there as a tourist.

mik2202 said:
I know that might sound suspicious but she is honestly, my gf. So I just want to see her before going back home.
Yeah I understand and wish you the best.

mik2202 said:
I included my letter of support from parents already, saying that they will pay for my visit.
Are you a minor? If not then that would help little.

You can apply again but your case has to be strong.... see, from what you send CIC can think:

"He is finishing his studies with only 2 months left in his permit, he has no money to show and his parents need to support him, no ties nor reason to go back but an air ticket. He says he is visiting but no evidence from the girlfriend."

This all sounds like a straight forward denial. The question is, can you show otherwise? If yes, please reapply, if not then better wait until your situation changes.

swords1010

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01 June 2014
Passport Req..
10 June 2014
Dude, the invitation letter is the center of your application as it was said above. Unless you are going purely as a tourist and have hotel bookings and stuff like normal tourists do, you can't just say you are going to stay at someone's home just because you know their name. It simply doesn't work like that. For many countries you can't even think of starting this sort of application without having an invitation letter. :) It's worth applying again only if you believe you can produce an application at least 50% stronger than the previous one. Once again - apply online!!! The guidelines there are so clear that you simply can't make a stupid mistake such as submitting your app with no invitation in it.

mik2202

Jul 19, 2014
swords1010 said:
Dude, the invitation letter is the center of your application as it was said above. Unless you are going purely as a tourist and have hotel bookings and stuff like normal tourists do, you can't just say you are going to stay at someone's home just because you know their name. It simply doesn't work like that. For many countries you can't even think of starting this sort of application without having an invitation letter. :) It's worth applying again only if you believe you can produce an application at least 50% stronger than the previous one. Once again - apply online!!! The guidelines there are so clear that you simply can't make a stupid mistake such as submitting your app with no invitation in it.
You might not notice what I mean above,

I prepared my application as a pure tourist, I DIDNT mention my friend in the application, in the section "Purpose of visit" I put "tourism", I DIDNT put "visit friends" . I had my hotel bookings for the period that I applied and the tours that I booked as well.

The only thing that I didnt book is a return flight ticket between the UK and Canada.

I know that it is not entirely honest but I DONT have intention to stay there for longer period than what I applied. My mistake might be that I tried to produce what I think they might be happy with, not entirely honest application.

P.s: I want to click the [Good] button to all replies above but I cant see it on the left or any where :(