+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) required along with work permit application

rakeshkumargs

Mar 29, 2012
Hi,
I am from countries need visa to enter Canada.
I am goin to apply for work permit , i have to fill "Application for Work Permit Made Outside Canada [IMM 1295]"
but do I need to enclose
"Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada [IMM 5257 - Schedule 1] "
also . in what case i need to submit Temporary Resident Visa IMM 5257 application
Please reply me ASAP .

Thanks
Rakesh

Dayana

Apr 30, 2012
rakeshkumargs said:
Hi,
I am from countries need visa to enter Canada.
I am goin to apply for work permit , i have to fill "Application for Work Permit Made Outside Canada [IMM 1295]"
but do I need to enclose
"Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada [IMM 5257 - Schedule 1] "
also . in what case i need to submit Temporary Resident Visa IMM 5257 application
Please reply me ASAP .

Thanks

Rakesh
Hi Rakesh, we have the same problem but this what i found on cic website:

If you submit a work permit application and you require a temporary resident visa, it is not necessary to make a separate application or pay a separate fee; an officer will issue it at the same time as the documentation necessary for your entry to Canada as a worker.

PLease anyone explain this to us...thanks

priyum521

Star Member
Apr 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2012
AOR Received.
27-04-2012
Med's Request
03-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-08-2012
Interview........
waived off
Passport Req..
03-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2012
LANDED..........
Already in Canada since August, 2011
Only Application for Work Permit Made Outside Canada [IMM 1295] is required.

I applied with this form. TRV is not required.

Dayana

Apr 30, 2012
priyum521 said:

Thank you, but what will happen when u enter Canada, can u start to work without the TRV?

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
If you read the INSTRUCTION GUIDE IMM 5487 Step 2. Complete the application. Find the page on how to fill out the Background Information.Background Information

Question 1
Check the box to indicate if:
a.you or any of your family member(s) have ever had tuberculosis of the lungs or been in close contact with a person with tuberculosis within the past two years.
b.you have any physical or mental disorder that would require social and/or health services other than medication during your stay in Canada.
c.if you checked “Yes” to any of the above questions, provide details and the name of the family member, if applicable.

Note: Refer to the Family Members definition in this guide.

Question 2
Check the box to indicate if you have ever:
a.applied for any Canadian visa(s) either as a Permanent Resident, Temporary Resident (Visitor, Student, or Worker), or a Temporary Resident Permit.
b.been refused any kind of visa to travel to Canada.
c.been refused admission or been asked to leave Canada or any other country.
d.If you checked “Yes” to one of the above questions, provide details.

Question 3
Check the box to indicate if you have ever:
•committed,
•been arrested for, or
•been charged with any criminal offence in any country.

If you checked “Yes”, you may be required to complete Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 – Schedule 1).

Question 4a.Check the box to indicate if you have ever served in any military, militia, civil defence unit or the police.
b.If you checked “Yes” to question 4 (a), provide your dates of service and the countries where you served.

If you checked “Yes” you may be required to complete Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 – Schedule 1).Question 5
Check the box to indicate if you have ever been employed by a government in a security-related capacity.

If you checked “Yes” you may be required to complete Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 – Schedule 1).

Question 6
Check the box to indicate if you have ever held a position of authority in any government or judiciary or political party (for example, civil servant, police officer, hospital administrator, elections official, managing director, judge, counsellor, member of parliament, mayor, etc.).

If you checked “Yes” you may be required to complete Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 – Schedule 1).

Question 7
Check the box to indicate if you have ever been involved in the commission of a war crime or crime against humanity, such as:
•willful killing,
•torture,
•attacks upon civilians or prisoners of war,
•enslavement of civilians or prisoners of war,
•starvation of civilians or prisoners of war,
•other inhumane acts committed against civilians or prisoner of war, or
•deportation of civilians.

If you checked “Yes”, you may be required to complete Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 – Schedule 1).

What I understand from this guide is if you checked "Yes" to any of the Questions 3 - 7, then you need to fill out Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 – Schedule 1) and enclose this form with your application. If you checked "No" to all of those questions (Questions 3 - 7), then you don't need to complete Schedule 1 form.
As you read in the Document Checklist IMM5488, you need to enclose Schedule 1 form if it is applicable to you.

Once your application for work permit made outside of Canada is approved, then the Canadian consulate/embassy officer will issue a work visa which allows you to enter Canada. Then once you arrive at one of the airports in Canada with the work visa stamped in your passport, then the officer at the airport will issue the work permit which will allow you to start working for the employer that is written in your work permit.

I hope this will help.

Buleg

Mar 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2013
Nomination.....
30-05-2013 LOA dated 10-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-10-2013 thru email
IELTS Request
Already submitted
File Transfer...
11-09-13
Med's Request
21-11-13
Med's Done....
27-11-13 results submitted//add'l med req 01-13-2014 submitted 1-30-14
Interview........
Ecas "in process 2-18-2014"
Passport Req..
08-04-2014 (Apr. 27, '14 ecas changed to decision made)
LANDED..........
22-03-2014 entered as TFW under YNP/May,22,'14 Landed as Immigrant
Dayana said:
Thank you, but what will happen when u enter Canada, can u start to work without the TRV?
For non-visa exempt countries, when you apply for your TWP and you've been approved you're visa (TRV) will be stamped on your passport at the same time.

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
priyum521 said:

Hi, I may have a not so relevant question, but I'm not sure where I should post my question. So if this is the wrong place, please let me know. And if you know where I should post my question, please kindly remind me as well.

So here it is.

1. If one has a valid post-graduate work permit but no job yet, while his entry visa expired, is he able to apply for a new entry visa? (He's currently outside canada)

2. This is about the common-law relationship. So my partner and I have claimed common-law in our pr application (in progress). Right now he has to live in another country for a period of time because of working reasons. If he's about to apply for an entry visa, he should state the common-law relationship, and thus need to fill the form (IMM 5409). However, because we're in different countries, how are we supposed to sign that form together in front of a lawyer? Can we use the copy of a previous signed one (for the immigration application)?

Thanks a lot.

Dilsad Ahmed

Jun 15, 2018
  • My name is Mohammed Dilsad Ahmed (M/32) from India and currently working as a Pos-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Macau, Macau.
  • I won a Canadian Government Post-Doctoral Award.
  • Last day I have submitted my Online Application. However, I have a confusion as generally my status is to apply for a WORK PERMIT using imm1295 but when I was filling the online application form I did not see any option for submitted imm1295 rather it accepts only imm5257 Form, so I finally had to submit the imm5257 Form only. I am now very confused whether I have submitted the correct form? Please let me know
  • Do I need to undergo a MEDICAL EXAM or any other requirements in the context of my application status I need to fulfil, please let me know
Please suggest me as soon as possible

Regards,
Dilsad
dilshadsportspsychology@gmail.com