+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Return Ticket Compulsary in Visitor Visa?

CL1412

Jun 21, 2019
Hi!
My grandmother had trouble in boarding her airlines, because she had a one-way ticket. She already has a super-visa, and will stay for a couple of years.

I'm curious on how this happened as I've read on the forum, super visa is already exempted!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi!
My grandmother had trouble in boarding her airlines, because she had a one-way ticket. She already has a super-visa, and will stay for a couple of years.

I'm curious on how this happened as I've read on the forum, super visa is already exempted!
Unfortunately you can find that checkin and boarding gate staff simply are not aware of the immigration rules for every country so they likely just apply a blanket assumption of no return no board unless is an actual immigration visa. Make no sense I agree given airlines will not accept a booking more than approx 330 days out from booking date so maybe best for anyone else to carry any documentation that shows a visa holder is entitled to stay for upto 2 years and if any issue ask for an airline supervisor or manager.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

MumTraveller

May 9, 2019
Hi,

I am on work permit in Canada. My spouse got V1 visitor visa(from 2019 till expiry date in 2022, which is same as my work permit). She will be travelling from India with one way ticket. Do we need to book a return ticket too? I checked with some travel agencies and they said it is not compulsion to have a return ticket since spouse is travelling as dependent. I've been checking online forums but we are still confused whether to book a return ticket before boarding from India. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am on work permit in Canada. My spouse got V1 visitor visa(from 2019 till expiry date in 2022, which is same as my work permit). She will be travelling from India with one way ticket. Do we need to book a return ticket too? I checked with some travel agencies and they said it is not compulsion to have a return ticket since spouse is travelling as dependent. I've been checking online forums but we are still confused whether to book a return ticket before boarding from India. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Yes, as a visitor, she should have a return ticket.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks.
Your spouse doesn’t have a work permit. They are essentially travelling on a visitor visa like every other visitor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey any update on this due to covid?
Thanks
Still the same. You need a return ticket unless traveling on a super visa.

Reactions: Qwertypod and alein

samiullah77

May 18, 2019
my wife have work permit visa and my two son's have visitor multiple visa are they require to purchase return ticket and my son's visa will expire on 30th november 2020 and they travel on 29th november 2020 if i purchase return ticket then which date. i have a work permit for one year till November 2021 and i travel on 12th of november2020.

please advice me

geol

Dec 18, 2014
Hi,

Thanks.
No, not necessary. Only be careful at immigration to answer the period of stay should be declare around 90 days.

geol

Dec 18, 2014
my wife have work permit visa and my two son's have visitor multiple visa are they require to purchase return ticket and my son's visa will expire on 30th november 2020 and they travel on 29th november 2020 if i purchase return ticket then which date. i have a work permit for one year till November 2021 and i travel on 12th of november2020.

please advice me
Your son can not travel as the visa will expire on 30th Nov., 2020

Jan 8, 2021
Hi guys,
My mother is applying for a visitor visa to pay me a visit in Canada. Do we need to get the two-way ticket after her visa application is approved or do we actually need to purchase it at the time of application and submit the return ticket along with other documents to IRCC?

felicialiu

Oct 20, 2019
Still the same. You need a return ticket unless traveling on a super visa.
Hi. I had applied for my trv on Feb and the avg processing tym showed nearly 5 months. So I bought a ticket from July to Jan. Fortunately I got my trv approved. And I bought a new ticket for May but haven't cancelled my July and Jan ticket. Is it alright if I board the plane and later when I reach Canada I can just reschedule my Jan ticket to Oct?? Or will they still refuse me??