+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Return Ticket Compulsary in Visitor Visa?

mthakurwani

Apr 16, 2015
My mother already has Canada Visitor visa. She landed and stayed for 175 days with us.It would be her second visit now. When she came last time she had return tickets. But checking is it mandatory cos I am planning to extend there stay this time and changing tickets cost lots of money so thinking may be one way ticket for now from India to Canada.

So on visitor visa can we book one way ticket from India to Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She needs a two way ticket. She will most likely be refused boarding by the airline without one.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
She needs a two way ticket. She will most likely be refused boarding by the airline without one.
Why do you say that?

It's up to CBSA to determine admissibility and with a visa (or eTA) the airline shouldn't have grounds for refusal because of a one-way ticket.

The traveller will have to convince CBSA that they are able to support themselves (or be supported) while in Canada without working and that they have significant ties to their home country and the funds available to purchase a return ticket.

That being said, it is a much easier with a return (two-way) ticket. Often, too, this can be much cheaper than two one-way ticket, even if you have to pay change fees.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Why do you say that?

It's up to CBSA to determine admissibility and with a visa (or eTA) the airline shouldn't have grounds for refusal because of a one-way ticket.

The traveller will have to convince CBSA that they are able to support themselves (or be supported) while in Canada without working and that they have significant ties to their home country and the funds available to purchase a return ticket.

That being said, it is a much easier with a return (two-way) ticket. Often, too, this can be much cheaper than two one-way ticket, even if you have to pay change fees.
The airline can and most likely wll refuse boarding without a return flight - airline policies. This is prior to speaking with CBSA

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
The airline can and most likely wll refuse boarding without a return flight - airline policies. This is prior to speaking with CBSA
What airline do you have this experience with, or can you point me to a specific policy? I guess the best place to ask the question then would be directly to the airline when buying the tickets on their policies.

I've travelled to Canada (and the US) as a non-citizen/non-pr many times (both as a visitor, and on a work-visa) on one-way tickets on many different airlines without ever being refused or even questioned by the airline. The important thing is to show that you have the means to purchase a return ticket once you're there or have proof of onward travel by other means such as by bus.

Some airlines may be difficult, but thankfully as consumers we have a choice and can always look at a different airline. Though, I guess to save any potential hassle with any airline the safest bet would be to buy a round-trip ticket. I still think it might even be cheaper to do it this way despite change fees. Two round-trip tickets might also even be cheaper than two one-way tickets if the flights aren't changeable.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What airline do you have this experience with, or can you point me to a specific policy? I guess the best place to ask the question then would be directly to the airline when buying the tickets on their policies.
You hold a visa exempt passport - correct? Different story and different experience for you.

OP's mother is from India (country requiring TRV to come to Canada). We have seen many examples here of people being refused boarding or having to buy a very expensive return ticket on the spot to be allowed to board the plane. It's pretty routine. The reason why the airlines do this is that if for any reason that person is not admitted into Canada when they arrive and is sent home, the airline has to swallow the cost of this flight if the person holds a one way ticket. A two way ticket protects them from taking this hit.

Super visas are exceptions. If you hold a super visa one way travel is fine since a long stay is permitted / assumed.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
My husband has had both experiences. He has traveled to Canada on his TRV with a one way ticket a few times with no issues. I think it was Copa and Air Canada.

The last time he came back in May, the airline (Avianca) would not let him board without a return ticket. So he had to buy one right there on the spot rust we canceled as soon as he landed in Canada.

He finally got his PR now so we won’t have to worry about that anymore.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
What airline do you have this experience with, or can you point me to a specific policy?
Speaking from personal experience, Singapore Air, Thai Airlines, United, Air China, Cathay Pacific and most recently Air Canada when the wife went back to her home country. We had to book her a flight out of Singapore to Indonesia before they would let her check in (first time that has happened).

Seems to apply to any country you fly to in some cases.

Reactions: scylla

comartifacts

Dec 30, 2015
My mom granted a 10yrs visitor visa is it alright to purchase a one way ticket than the round trip ticket? First time i applied for her for visitor visa and luckily was approved. My mother will come from Philippines.

comartifacts

Dec 30, 2015
My ex husband was granted a permanent resident visa but he didn't stayed here for 6mos..for 2months he went back home.his pr card now is expired and didnt complete the number of days he should be here.is it possible for him to apply for visitor visa and get approve?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My mom granted a 10yrs visitor visa is it alright to purchase a one way ticket than the round trip ticket? First time i applied for her for visitor visa and luckily was approved. My mother will come from Philippines.
As a visitor always advisable to get a return ticket given it is possible an airline will not allow her to check in or if they do she could have issues with CBSA on arrival. The exception would be if she was on super visa allowing up to a 2 year stay given not possible to buy a return with a date beyond about 330 days from date of purchase.

From many countries the economics of buying 2 one ways often turn out to be more expensive than a return even if paying to change the return leg so if you have not done so already do the math.

As sure you know a 10 year visitor visa still only supports maximum of 6 months stay on each entry, although can be extended from within Canada subject to qualification,.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My ex husband was granted a permanent resident visa but he didn't stayed here for 6mos..for 2months he went back home.his pr card now is expired and didnt complete the number of days he should be here.is it possible for him to apply for visitor visa and get approve?
PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be revoked or renounced.

As he is still a PR he cannot apply for visitor visa unless he renounced his PR status first which should always be the last resort.

Not clear how many days of residency he completed but but if he only ever stayed in Canada for less than 6 months since landing as a PR then sounds as though he has no other option but to renounce, decision is his given if correct with such a short stay even H&C reason to apply for a PRTD to return would be stretching a point.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She needs a two way ticket unless it's a super visa. Hopefully you realize that a 10 year visitor visa does not allow her to stay for 10 years.

Reactions: Buletruck