+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is retaining a lawyer necassary when filing a refugee claim?

sn1ker

Jan 14, 2021
I am trying to help a family member in Canada claim refugee status. Before we start the process should we consider retaining a lawyer? The family member is from Afghanistan and I believe they have a strong case but I am not a lawyer. Also if you think retaining a lawyer is not necessary when filing a claim is there a certain point in the process where we should retain one like the refugee hearing etc.?

Also any tips about the whole process would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I am trying to help a family member in Canada claim refugee status. Before we start the process should we consider retaining a lawyer? The family member is from Afghanistan and I believe they have a strong case but I am not a lawyer. Also if you think retaining a lawyer is not necessary when filing a claim is there a certain point in the process where we should retain one like the refugee hearing etc.?

Definitely. Claiming asylum has many consequences and should only be done if you have a strong case with strong proof. It is best to consult with a lawyer. Also would advise that if the person has a chance to be able to get PR through economic programs, that is better. good luck.

mimika

Jan 12, 2021

You can also retain RCIC who has experience in RPD. It can be cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Does your relative have a TRV or are you wanting to sponsor them privately? A TRV can be very challenging to get and your friend may not meet the travel restrictions at the moment unless he has family in Canada.

Kikastudy

Sep 10, 2020
Hi guys, kindly advise who is a good lawyer for refugee status for women? There are many lawyers who have terrible reviews on Google, do you know a good one? I appreciate your advise because I really want to help someone who is really need help.

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
Hi guys, kindly advise who is a good lawyer for refugee status for women? There are many lawyers who have terrible reviews on Google, do you know a good one? I appreciate your advise because I really want to help someone who is really need help.
I sent you a private msg