+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Quebec a wise choice if you are a high skilled immigrant ?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Even learning French will not get you far in Quebec if you are not pure laine or your last name is not Tremblay. You will always be second class in Quebec no matter what. Thats the mentality of the people of this province.

May I remind you that we are talking about "high" skilled immigrants who are in the 80 or 90 percentile in Canadian income level.

1. Highest income taxes in Canada.

2. Salaries for skilled workers are lesser than other provinces in Canada.

3. Immigrant parents cannot help kids with their homework as its in French.

4. Kids educated in French schools are not fully fluent in English, (French schools makes conscious efforts to give low quality English education, but not viceversa) thus limiting their ability to work in an English speaking country like Rest of Canada or USA.

5. All the good books especially engineering/medical are in English.

6. For high income earning immigrants, I dont think any kind of governmental benefits including childcare are applicable no matter if you are in Quebec or ROC.Government benefits are inversely proportional to your income.

7. Bill 21 targets minorities invoking the not withstanding clause. A government which targets minorities cannot be trusted with. They will soon target minority English speakers and immigrants soon. Its just a matter of time. Bill 101 version 2 is now raising its ugly head again.

8. There is targetted discimination in Quebec based on race and language for employment.
How many minorities are employed in HydroQuebec ? How many in STM ? How many Quebec government services ?
Do you think the kids of these immigrants will ever be accepted if they know fluent French ? I dont think so.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/too-few-minorities-quebec-1.3413967

What I am saying is, high skilled immigrants do not get the bang for their tax money if they are in Quebec and a second class treatment too as a bonus.
It is not rocket science (hopefully), then just don't move to Quebec, versus harping on and on and on like a broken record. It is like someone studying to be a Surgeon for years and years, then once they are done realize they can't stand the sight of blood. Don't people do there homework before moving ? No, but they elect to come to a province that they want it to change for them.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
high skilled immigrants who cannot migrate to USA are migrating to Canada or Australia.

not sure about logic of your long post regarding Quebec etc.

wht exactly will change in 21/22 months ??
Its just a reminder to high skilled immigrants in US or in other countries that if they get a job offer in Quebec, they should let it pass. I know many foreign temporary skilled workers who came on LMIA based work permit and got trapped including me. So my post is an advice for all them contemplating on coming to Quebec to work on a temporary work permit and then hoping to get a Canadian permanent residency thru Quebec.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
It is not rocket science (hopefully), then just don't move to Quebec, versus harping on and on and on like a broken record. It is like someone studying to be a Surgeon for years and years, then once they are done realize they can't stand the sight of blood. Don't people do there homework before moving ? No, but they elect to come to a province that they want it to change for them.
> harping on and on and on like a broken record
Many people in this forum who got burned by Quebec Bill 9 and Bill 21 agrees with my opinion though. But you are free just like me to say your opinions.

> Don't people do there homework before moving ?

Yes they do. I believe this discussion will help them in their homework to make an informed decision. Think about the 18,000 applicants including 1000s of the high skilled temporary workers who are already working in Quebec, who applications were thrown out by the CAQ government. So did they do their homework ? Yes they did, but their applications was thrown out by the anti immigrant CAQ government after they moved to Quebec.

Though to be fair, all of those 18,000 were not skilled applicants as it was merely based on first come first served, I am only rooting for the skilled ones in those 18,000 applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Immstu

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
high skilled immigrants who cannot migrate to USA are migrating to Canada or Australia.

not sure about logic of your long post regarding Quebec etc.

wht exactly will change in 21/22 months ??
> not sure about logic of your long post regarding Quebec etc.

There are many companies in Quebec actively trying to recruit talent from abroad using LMIA temporary work permit because there is an acute shortage of skilled workers in Quebec.

The point of my post is an advice to those who are contemplating on coming to work and settle in Quebec on an LMIA based temporary skilled work permit so that they take an informed decision and not get trapped in Quebec's immigration fiasco and the resulting xenophobia in Quebec.

> wht exactly will change in 21/22 months
Not sure what you mean by change in 21/22 months. 22 months is the time for Federal stage of the PR process.
Quebec PR is a two stage process. Express Entry is not applicable in Quebec.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Being fluent in French helps anyone living in Quebec. There are certainly non white immigrant, who are French speakers or not, who don’t feel like they are second class citizens. If someone chooses to move to Quebec they should be planning on trying to learn French. If not, they should have moved to another province. If people want to move to Canada they should also want to learn English. Learning the main language spoken where you live will only benefit the person .
You are still saying "immigrants" while I talk about "highly skilled economic immigrants" Highly skilled economic immigrants have language skilled already tested by IELTS and will have a college degree with years of experience. So lets talk about them.

You are just generalizing "If people want to move they should learn English and all". We are not talking about any immigrants. We are talking about highly skilled economic immigrants.

> There are certainly non white immigrant, who are French speakers or not, who don’t feel like they are second class citizens

1. https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/young-sikh-teacher-leaves-quebec-for-b-c-over-bill-21-religious-symbols-exclusion-1.4550071

""It makes me feel like a second-class citizen, like I don't belong," said Kaur. "I was offered a job in British Columbia and I'm excited to see where that takes me in my teaching profession."

2. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-police-diversity-1.3559165

"Despite efforts to diversify, Montreal's police force remains overwhelmingly white, according to its latest annual report. "

3. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/francophones-still-dominate-quebec-s-public-service-1.1856933

"Although only about 79 per cent of Quebecers are white francophones, they hold 95 per cent of senior management positions in the province’s civil service."​

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
> not sure about logic of your long post regarding Quebec etc.

There are many companies in Quebec actively trying to recruit talent from abroad using LMIA temporary work permit because there is an acute shortage of skilled workers in Quebec.

The point of my post is an advice to those who are contemplating on coming to work and settle in Quebec on an LMIA based temporary skilled work permit so that they take an informed decision and not get trapped in Quebec's immigration fiasco and the resulting xenophobia in Quebec.

> wht exactly will change in 21/22 months
Not sure what you mean by change in 21/22 months. 22 months is the time for Federal stage of the PR process.
Quebec PR is a two stage process. Express Entry is not applicable in Quebec.
I meant if a candidate gets pr in 21/22 months what exactly is going to change ?

Looks like you are already in quebec with your family. so that's all that matters.

Unless you are afraid that rules may change and you may never get your PR. That maybe too much of a stretch to think about.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
I meant if a candidate gets pr in 21/22 months what exactly is going to change ?

Looks like you are already in quebec with your family. so that's all that matters.

Unless you are afraid that rules may change and you may never get your PR. That maybe too much of a stretch to think about.
I am past the danger zone. But CAQ can cut Federal quotas so they can increase the current delays of 22 months, but highly unlikely as they have cut quota recently.

This thread is for those who are planing to move to Québec as a skilled temporary worker or as an economic immigrant.

See the plight to this individual as an anecdote:

This person finished studies and got CSQ thru PEQ category, ie: proved their French language ability. But being delayed PR by the CAQ government because of quota cuts. This leads one to believe that infact Quebec does not want skilled immigrants or any immigrants at all no matter they speak fluent French or not.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/federal-stage-after-csq-via-peq.653164/

Last edited:

Dhan09

Aug 3, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-03-2020
As a person who lived in Ontario and moved to Quebec i can confirm few facts and reject few. Quebec is least expensive compared to Ontario (not sure about other provinces). Also daily expenses are low. The only issue is with the French as some jobs require French as compulsory. Also they don't care about English speaking skilled workers who wanna immigrate as permanent residents.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
As a person who lived in Ontario and moved to Quebec i can confirm few facts and reject few. Quebec is least expensive compared to Ontario (not sure about other provinces). Also daily expenses are low. The only issue is with the French as some jobs require French as compulsory. Also they don't care about English speaking skilled workers who wanna immigrate as permanent residents.
Thanks for the inputs.
How do you feel about the behaviour towards immigrants in Quebec when compared to Ontario ?
(Probably subjective & depends on the skin color AFAIK. No obligation to answer this.)

When it comes to expenses, can you clarify more on this. The context is about high skilled immigrants who are in 80 or 90 percentile income ( both husband & wife working and earning combined annual income of 130,000 or 150,000+ )
Daily expenses like :

1. Gas prices, auto insurance.
2. Internet, cellphone plans
3. Rent ( for a concrete sound proof, not noisy cheap worn down ones which are very cheap)
4. Healthcare wait times or access to a family doctor.
5. Customer service like in a restaurant, or supermarkets.
6. Sales tax
7. Child care ( we do not have kids yet, so I dont know how it compares)
8. Commute
9. Quality of road construction, public infrastructure.
10. Schools.

Dhan09

Aug 3, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-03-2020
1. Gas prices, auto insurance. :
I dont have a car yet. So cant comment on this.

2. Internet, cellphone plans
I use Fido for phone and bell for internet. Reasonable plans

3. Rent ( for a concrete sound proof, not noisy cheap worn down ones which are very cheap)
I stay in a decent concrete apartment and paying 850 as rent which would cost around 1200 in ON

4. Healthcare wait times or access to a family doctor.
There are walk in clinics and wait times are average similar to ON

5. Customer service like in a restaurant, or supermarkets.
Never felt any difference or racial treatment so far

6. Sales tax
Taxes are bit high compared to ON

7. Child care ( we do not have kids yet, so I dont know how it compares)
No kid atm

8. Commute
Paying around $86 per month for bus and metro pass which is good

9. Quality of road construction, public infrastructure.
I stay in Greater montreal and is all good

10. Schools.
No kids. no info about schools

SHANTYSA

Sep 4, 2019
CSQ's Simple Simone has cancelled 18,000 applications and now implemented cherry picking system. MIDI has no transparency in how they are selecting immigrants. A news reports say that they are interested in selecting white Europeans only. The system is designed to hand pick immigrants which they see fit based on secret selection criteria which they never make public.

Last edited:
Reactions: Immstu