+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it worthwhile to move canada if you are earning good salary in India?

calgirl

Nov 17, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7-5-09
Doc's Request.
6-7-09
Med's Request
28-10-09
Med's Done....
3-11-09
Passport Req..
28-10-09
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-09
LANDED..........
7-5-2010
Commonwealth, rateme.... aren't you guys planning to come to your motherland right away? If not then why?

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great question........ because of my little one, 18 months old with a special special heart and....

charninder

Jul 2, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rishabshanker said:
nice discussion...heres my 20 cents worth

for all of you who are wondering whether to make the move or not...heres a situation, analyse the situation and decide on your reaction from the choices I have provided below...based on the choice you make...you can decide whether to move or not

situation
======
You live in a middle class area, close by there is a below poverty line slum full of immigrant labourers, house hold help, beggars and so forth. The health standards and sanitation in your area is alright, but you have to cross the slum to get anywhere and they have garbage on the roads and occassionally sewage overflowing on the roads but the roads in your area are clean and better maintained, though you also have garbage on your streets. The slum ggradually grows and there are anti social elements living there now, not terrrorists but eve teasers, drug peddlers, prostitutes, rowdies etc. You have complained to your local authorities, no chanage. You have tried to address the issue in your local residents welfare association meetings, no change.

Now the slum has grown bigger, encroachments are taking place on the empty spaces in your area, your water and electricity are being stolen. The anti social elements are now on your street corners. Your wife/parents/sister/girlfriend face a harrowing time whenever they have to go out of the house...nobody does anything to them, but the journey is not a pleasant one. their pressure is passed onto you.

What do you do?

Choices
=====
1. You decide to move out of the locality, you sell your ancestral house, leave your neighbouors who have known your family for generations, move away from your local gurudwara/temple/church/mosque, your kids/parents/wife's friends.
2. You decide to stay and ignore the things going on around you, you try to accept it as a change out of your control. You put up with it and stay there for whatever reasons
3. You decide to take matters into your own hands and make a change, you form a local welfare committee, constantly petition the authorities till you get a response, work with local NGOs for rehabilitating the slum people etc
4. You decide to get a bomb and blow up the slum!!

Results
=====
If you chose 1 – pack your bags, get your visa and get out!!...NOW!!..:) the situation mentioned above is India, a land which has great culture...only in its museums and history books, none in daily life. The real India is apathetic, crude, rude. Passive, complacent, opportunistic, intruding, dysfunctional and corrupt. The minute some people read this they are going to pounce on me and wax eloquent on India's greatness...but in their hearts everybody knows the truth so please spare me!! India is beautiful, historical, colourful, warm (weather), welcoming (only to foreign tourists), resilient etc...but please also understand that these positives don't make a speck of difference in an individual's life...they lokk extremely good on tourist brochures and that's that. Again LEAVE NOW!!

If you chose 2 – If you have decided to stay on and put up with your surroundings, you will be happy there no matter what...or you will force yourself to pretend you are happy. You don't need change. You are ok with change...for good or bad but you don't wish for a better life!.. Your history, culture, surroundings are more important to you than the quality of your daily life.

If you chose 3 – You are an activist, you should DEFINITELY NOT MOVE!!...stay and fight the negative change. Try your best to make a positive impact, change society and show everybody the better path. You will get your own statue after you die in the heart of the city and crows with uncontrollable bowels will forever remember you and thank you!! Or you just might get wiped off without a trace by some politician or local goon who has vested interests in the existence of the slum!!...either ways you will be a hero...posthumously!!

If you chose 4 – You require serious urgent psychiatric help!!

I chose 1. I do not like what I see and have to put up with. I do not wish to spend the rest of my life here wondering whether there will be electricity when I switch on the fan on a hot day, or whether the water will flow when I open the tap, I do not want to play the “guess where the pothole is and how big it is game” when it rains on the roads, I don't want to have a bath, wear a crisp white shirt and reach office in a brown or black shirt thanks to the buses and lorries which run on a hybrid fuel mix of kerosene, petrol, and dog piss. I do not want to go to doctor because of ailments caused by no fault of mine...they are all environmental diseases..sinus, eye infection, skin infection, lung infection. I don't want to bribe anybody to do their job. I have thought over this for a year and made my decision...I'm moving!!

I may have to work at McDonalds and serve burgers, I may have to live in somebody's basement, I may have to bear with inhuman cold, I may face racism, I may not get the opportunities which I deserve as soon as I land. I am ok with all that because from my research I know that its only a temporary phase and I have the courage, determination, faith and perseverance to get through it and reach for a better life...and when I do I will get it and then there will be no looking back.

Canada may not be the best place on earth, but for me its better than where I currently am, and its giving me an opportunity to move...I am taking it!!

For all of you asking is India better or Canada better??....the answer is always a personal one...its like asking a crowd of people is biriyani better or burger better...the answers and the justification for the answers will always be beyond your imagination or comprehension..

Don't take my word for it...do your own research..dont move because somebody you know moved and has a great life in Canada now...don't not move because somebody else you know went there and is having a tough time...do diligent research and find out for yourself...if you have the money and time, plan your next holiday in Canada to get a better idea...you are the only one who can decide whats good for you!!

All the Best and God Bless

Cheers
Rishab
Hi Rishab,

What a sketch you have portrayed for Forum members, never ever seen. You have said what is in minds of many Indians/Asians. Very well said. And thanks for removing doubts that general people have in their minds.

Thanks.

sp2009

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
Hi all,

Thanks for replying.

I know the current situation of our country and that's why want to move canada. But as I have heard from the people that the living standard in canada is high. I am only worried about the expenses in canada. Because I know initially I cant get a good job but atleast I have to get that much money for survival.

Salman2007

Star Member
Oct 27, 2008
sp2009 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for replying.

I know the current situation of our country and that's why want to move canada. But as I have heard from the people that the living standard in canada is high. I am only worried about the expenses in canada. Because I know initially I cant get a good job but atleast I have to get that much money for survival.
Yes u are right. For everybody applying through skilled worker category should have prepared for any type of labor job at initial stage to atleast start getting on. But it can be taken as granted that in the long run the Canada would not disappoint you & u & your family will feel happy & satisfied on decision moving to Canada.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. I also think I'll post it as a new thread. But, presently this is in reply to the previous poster; & many more who dwell on it, regularly.

With regards to the job scenario for us (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. Survival Jobs:
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. Tertiary Jobs:
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. Intermediate Jobs:
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the residential costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. (I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only).

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

Capt. Stan Dutta
(Member: Canadian Society of Industrial Security)

jalams2000

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 July, 2005
Med's Done....
18 Nov. 2009
VISA ISSUED...
Bravo friends!

Really a fantastic job and well planned. I think it will help all the newcomers to Canada. We need this type of help from you more and more. Actually you are increasing our expectations from you day by day. Keep it up man. Almighty will always be with you.

Thanks and regards.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Qorax

I will request you to start a new thread and all of us can chip in with our research and get benifited by feed back from Seniors

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thanx 'jalams2000'.

Ankit, Are u sure? I shouldn't start getting bashed-up for writing long posts.

COCOSTING

Star Member
Aug 3, 2009
London
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. I also think I'll post it as a new thread. But, presently this is in reply to the previous poster; & many more who dwell on it, regularly.

With regards to the job scenario for us (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. Survival Jobs:
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. Tertiary Jobs:
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. Intermediate Jobs:
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the residential costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. (I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only).

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

Well said, but based on my research, my own experience in the UK and helpful discussions with people like Josh and others who are already there in Canada i think I want to change the time frame for each stage.

Stage 1 will probably start only after 2-3 months so 1-9 months,
Stage 2, 1-3 years and by then if you have wisened up then maybe you will have stage three

This is just my opinion but one which has been researched extensively.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Qorax,

I am sure lot of people can vouch for great inputs and feedback that you have provided to all of us. Jokes apart but I think we should have threads for preparation after landing.

jitz has already started few threads that deal with post landing preparation but we can defiantly have one for how to settle in Canada.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
[quote author=COCOSTING.msg188571#msg188571 date=1261395729]

Well said, but based on my research, my own experience in the UK and helpful discussions with people like Josh and others who are already there in Canada i think I want to change the time frame for each stage.

Stage 1 will probably start only after 2-3 months so 1-9 months,
Stage 2, 1-3 years and by then if you have wisened up then maybe you will have stage three

This is just my opinion but one which has been researched extensively.[/quote]

Brother,

Your observation is absolutely right.
+/- few months would always be there. Morover, it depends on one's own insight & zeal to run for a job. That'd be uncontrollable, unaccountable.

But, what I intended is to advice everyone to take a 'survival job' asap. The rest of the stages would fall into place, by itself thereafter. And a starter job can be taken in Day-1, provided we leave our 'ego' behind. There are ways to get that.

However, I agree to your views in totality.

Thanx & regards.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ankit_20 said:
Dear Qorax,

I am sure lot of people can vouch for great inputs and feedback that you have provided to all of us. Jokes apart but I think we should have threads for preparation after landing.

jitz has already started few threads that deal with post landing preparation but we can defiantly have one for how to settle in Canada.
Ankit,

I think u r right. There r already few view-points gathering-up. But, I'll do so (post a seperate thread) only if u r the 1st one to comment there. <pun intended

Jalams2000, r u listenning?

Regards.

doc28

Oct 18, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good job qorax. Keep it up!! Don worry aba the length of messages.. i think those who r interested wud love to read it.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Ankit,

I think u r right. There r already few view-points gathering-up. But, I'll do so (post a seperate thread) only if u r the 1st one to comment there. <pun intended

Jalams2000, r u listenning?

Regards.
I would love to contribute to it