+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it too soon to ask for a reference letter?

bonus

Apr 25, 2013
I will be completing a year of working experience in 2 days, I have already told HR to write me a letter, I am working as a temporary, but I dont know until when. I haven't gathered the others documents (Police Record, Pay stubs,Application forms etc.) and I haven't done the IELTS yet. Is it ok to keep this letter? I am probably applying for PR next year because of the documents. Also my passport is not valid anymore because I sent an application for renewal. Please need advise. Did I screwed up? Should I tell them not to write the letter,I think it is too late? I am sorry for my grammar, I am a little bit anxious, nervous and stressed.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
If I were your, I would wait until you know when you send your application and have them
write the letter then.

bonus

Apr 25, 2013
I don't know what to do , it is too late now, they are going to write the letter. I think I did screw up. However, I did ask because my contract was intended to end after a year, but some apparent reason I think I got extended.

Priority

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
05-11-2013
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
5-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
2-Apr-2014
VISA ISSUED...
4-Apr-2014
You can tell HR to update the letter when you know for sure when you are applying. This should not be a problem for HR.
Please save yourself from anxiete and stress at this stage since you will have experience these feelings throughout your PR process. Good Luck!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Relax!! 8) You'll get the letter, make sure to keep it. Once you mail the application take the letter to HR and
ask them to update the letter.
You'll be fine!

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
iam_toby said:
Relax!! 8) You'll get the letter, make sure to keep it. Once you mail the application take the letter to HR and
ask them to update the letter.
You'll be fine!
u will be fine as long as letter say you worked for one year. You dont need to update the letter too...

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
gladaki said:
u will be fine as long as letter say you worked for one year. You dont need to update the letter too...
Yes and no. In the document checklist it says that 'up-to-date' reference letters are required.
So letters should be up-to-date in case you're still working with that company.

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
iam_toby said:
Yes and no. In the document checklist it says that 'up-to-date' reference letters are required.
So letters should be up-to-date in case you're still working with that company.
He said its temporary position. if he is not working then those letters will work

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
gladaki said:
He said its temporary position. if he is not working then those letters will work
Correct if he stops working with said company in a week, but in case he's still working with said
company when he applies, he'll need an updated letter.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you haven't yet passed one year's full-time (or equivalent) work experience according to the CEC criteria.

If this is true, then isn't it safer to wait until the full year's experience has accrued and then get the letter?

The date on the reference letter is going to be a vital part of the calculation of what work experience you have.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
LPS said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you haven't yet passed one year's full-time (or equivalent) work experience according to the CEC criteria.

If this is true, then isn't it safer to wait until the full year's experience has accrued and then get the letter?

The date on the reference letter is going to be a vital part of the calculation of what work experience you have.
Exactly!

weewatch

Aug 22, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lol dont worry you will get the letter, my contract with my previous company was for 2 years but i moved on in like 8 months after working there, i followed up with my HR after a month of leaving my job, he issued it to me exactly the way i requested him to. if you do happen to leave ur current job, just make sure u end up in good terms, like give ur notice and stuff, i dont think there will be a problem issuing you a letter, coz basically all ur asking ur employer to write is that u worked for a year in his company which i blive is right :) relax and be positive you ll be fine. All the best