+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really worth moving to Canada???????????????

ben24

Star Member
Oct 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2009
Doc's Request.
11-01-2010
AOR Received.
13-08-2010
IELTS Request
WAIVED
File Transfer...
26-08-2010
Med's Request
19-09-2011
Med's Done....
25-09-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
10-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
18-02-2012
LANDED..........
May 2012
ride_thelight said:
I am from India, been in the US 12 years. I am an accountant, went to college here, got my CPA license in NY. I work in accounting in NYC. I am on the H1-B, was on the F-1 before. My Perm (employer sponsored green card) is in early stage and I understand getting US permanent residency could take 5 additional years with current processing times.

Anyhow, I am looking into a move to British Columbia. I went to the area for a visit recently to see it first-hand, explore prospects of employment and getting my CA license there. I realize any such move would set me back a few years in terms of experience I have in US and I would take a step-down in pay, plus retraining required in Canadian tax and accounting.

While a move would be a significant upheaval, I feel it would be better for long-term prospects for better standards of living, raising a family and a better quality of life than what I have experienced in US.
After being in the US for over a decade, I feel this country has little to offer to me. Here in NYC, the stress of work, no work-life balance, scenario of having no health insurance without employment and limited social safety nets have made me rethink whether the US is the place to be for long-term.

I do not want to romanticize Canadian life into being any kind of utopia, but it sure looks like it beats the US on the list of best places to live, year after year.
I work hard and would also like to be in a system that gives back something to me. The US has failed me on this.

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I hope to do significant research before deciding on a move.
I welcome any criticisms and comments.
well said even I am from NYC... I feel same as you!!!
even I have green card I feel to move out of the US as it has nothing to offer me!!

CanadaVisa4me

Star Member
Aug 5, 2009
ben24 said:
ride_thelight said:
I am from India, been in the US 12 years. I am an accountant, went to college here, got my CPA license in NY. I work in accounting in NYC. I am on the H1-B, was on the F-1 before. My Perm (employer sponsored green card) is in early stage and I understand getting US permanent residency could take 5 additional years with current processing times.

Anyhow, I am looking into a move to British Columbia. I went to the area for a visit recently to see it first-hand, explore prospects of employment and getting my CA license there. I realize any such move would set me back a few years in terms of experience I have in US and I would take a step-down in pay, plus retraining required in Canadian tax and accounting.

While a move would be a significant upheaval, I feel it would be better for long-term prospects for better standards of living, raising a family and a better quality of life than what I have experienced in US.
After being in the US for over a decade, I feel this country has little to offer to me. Here in NYC, the stress of work, no work-life balance, scenario of having no health insurance without employment and limited social safety nets have made me rethink whether the US is the place to be for long-term.

I do not want to romanticize Canadian life into being any kind of utopia, but it sure looks like it beats the US on the list of best places to live, year after year.
I work hard and would also like to be in a system that gives back something to me. The US has failed me on this.

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I hope to do significant research before deciding on a move.
I welcome any criticisms and comments.
well said even I am from NYC... I feel same as you!!!
even I have green card I feel to move out of the US as it has nothing to offer me!!
I am from India. Would you guys rather live in India or US? I am curious.

chandan

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Am a product support engineer (PSE) in a multinational IT company in abuja, nigeria and the salary I earn is not bad. About 2 years ago, after collecting my monthly pay check, i went to deposit it to the bank then went to pick my wife at her office, not too far from mine, we then went to pick our 3 kids at their secondary school still in abuja, on our way home, we were unaware that some armed robbers were following us, they just stopped my car asking 'your salary or your life'? I gave them all the money on me (about N50,000, fifty thousand naira which is equivalent to around $300USD). They were furious, asking 'where is your real salary? You just got your salary today and you are giving us some 'chicken change' (something little). I was still pleading to them telling them i just went to deposit the check in the bank when they opened fire and shot my first son! He died on the spot(18years' old). They ran away. That agony, trauma and shock is on our memories. That's why am so kin about emmigrating to canada. Not because of anything else. I didn't want to narrate this ordeal before, but just to share my personal experience with people like awarang that people emmigrate due to different reasons. Some, because of money, some due to security of lives, better education for children, etc. I know this could have happened anywhere else if that was my son's destiny but at least if it had happened in somewhere like canada, those guys could have been tracked down with the use of CCTV or something else. It still hurts us but we are hoping to put it behind us and start a new life in canada as soon as we have our PR visas.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi Chandan,

Very sorry to hear about the demise of your son.Really unfortunate and may GOD give you the strength to overcome this tragedy.I fully agree with you.Each and every individual is unique and his needs are also unique.Hence his decisions will also be unique and it cannot be equated with any other person's profile.There are a lot of factors which come into play when you are hunting for a job in a foreign land where you hv just landed.Hard work,luck,perseverance,educational and professional background,language etc.etc.Since each individual is quite different,one should give it a try before consigning onself to fate which may GOD forbid should never happen.Economic recession is there everywhere.Take my case.The guys who gave me the pink slip during this recession,never expected in their wildest dreams that i would end up with a better job in all respects and that too within a week's time.So what if i had accepted defeat and gone back to my native after cancelling my visa,would i have landed this job.I tried and got it.Trying and playing is more important than sitting back and blaming the external factors which is influencing your decision.Be proactive and not reactive.
I had been following this post for quite some time and i could not stand the negative vibes emanating from this post,hence thought of posting this.Hope it cheers up the guys in the dumps and rejuvenates the people who are intending to land in canada with renewed confidence.We all know that it is not going to be easy to settle down in canada.We are fully aware of this and we are not naive to take this plunge.So let us post all the positive stories ,here as we are aware of the negatives.

Thanks

awaranag

Sep 14, 2009
Mr Chandan
Sorry to hear about loss of your son.
Earlier in the same thread u have stated ur age as 37.This mean before two yrs u were 35 yrs of age and as per u your son was 18yrs of age at the time of that unfortunate incident..This means when u got married u were 16 yrs+.
Mr.Chandan...I know u r eager to move to Canada and my well wishes with u and ur family but I feel you are misleading the people.I have my own reservations hence I will either believe that u r 37 yr old OR this unfortunate incident happened with ur family.
Correct me If i am wrong and tell me which one of the story is to be believed

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Life in South Korea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/world/asia/02race.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=global-home

Mr.Kim gave Canada 2 years, and with having PR in Canada he can buy a home with a mortgage as long as he has a job. I live in South Korea, and I have PR here and I simply can't get any loan. Not because of my salary or job but because I am not Korean.

For many who are educated and experienced, your first few years are going to be a time of learning and adjustment. It's not just for immigrants. I even have one friend who has a Phd. and he eventually became an electrian because he had a family to support. He can re-wire your house with the added bonus of giving you a lesson in philosphy.

Canadian firms are missing out on the talent and international connections many educated immigrants have, and it's their loss. Most of you know this and it's best to make your own path in life.

Naavy100

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-09
Doc's Request.
6-02-10
IELTS Request
6-02-10 - 7 Bands
File Transfer...
10-02-2010
Med's Request
19/11/2010
Med's Done....
7/12/2010
Passport Req..
19/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/2/2011
LANDED..........
22 April 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlQfdOTRxE&feature=PlayList&p=3C968D482702AF75&index=5

Naavy100

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-09
Doc's Request.
6-02-10
IELTS Request
6-02-10 - 7 Bands
File Transfer...
10-02-2010
Med's Request
19/11/2010
Med's Done....
7/12/2010
Passport Req..
19/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/2/2011
LANDED..........
22 April 2011
I just wanna say that i am working here in india as senior manager
i have handsome salary,familiy,friends,assets.......
But i just applied for canadian PR for sake of my son

I will move to canada ..will help in settement of my son and will come bak
Because ive seen many of the students from india who moved to UK,US,aussie,canada etc ..these students are leading life of mysery
with hope that they will get a PR status.But i am just helping my son to get direct PR from home country ..he has to start his carrier from zero ...so why not from canada ????

chandan

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well, awarang, you can PM me if you want to hear much about my personal history, this is a public forum, i didn;t want to share that my personal experience as it hurts really so bad, i was in secondary school when i had my first son. it happened to me, i don't pray it happens to anybody else, ever. I just shared the experience to let people know the reason that i want to move to canada, nothing more.

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So are you guys gonna go to Canada on other people's decision????? Wake up decide for yourself, experience it and please close this topic. Its going no where.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chandan said:
Well, awarang, you can PM me if you want to hear much about my personal history, this is a public forum, i didn;t want to share that my personal experience as it hurts really so bad, i was in secondary school when i had my first son. it happened to me, i don't pray it happens to anybody else, ever. I just shared the experience to let people know the reason that i want to move to canada, nothing more.
Chandan,
Sorry to hear about all the "Mishaps", in particular the untimely demise of your beloved son.
I personally lived in Nigeria for almost 20 Years and can understand you, your situation and your plight. Money is not everything as you already know. Security and peace of mind is of utmost importance. I can assure you that, that is one thing no "3rd world country will give you". I firmly believe that anybody "Wey fit survive for Naija will survive anywhere in the world", not to talk of Canada. No need to tell you. Go for it. It cannot get worse but only better.
I am in the IT (Technical) Sector myself. Believe me, this is a sector where you will always find something to do.
Even though the UK (In fact the whole world), they say is in recession, believe me IT is still booming in the UK and I believe in Canada too.

Best Wishes for the future.
Hope to meet you in Canada one day.:))

BobbyB.

Naavy100

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-09
Doc's Request.
6-02-10
IELTS Request
6-02-10 - 7 Bands
File Transfer...
10-02-2010
Med's Request
19/11/2010
Med's Done....
7/12/2010
Passport Req..
19/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/2/2011
LANDED..........
22 April 2011
I was also having 3 children ....my elder son died at the age of 18 4 years back

He was always interested in moving to canada.
Pehraps this is the reason i selected for the settelment of my second son

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Naavy100, Chandan
Sorry to hear about your sons. There is nothing that can erase that loss but I do hope your future and your children's future is bright as ever.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Naavy100 said:
I was also having 3 children ....my elder son died at the age of 18 4 years back

He was always interested in moving to canada.
Pehraps this is the reason i selected for the settelment of my second son
Naavy100,
Sorry to hear about the untimely demise of your beloved son too.
Best wishes for the future.