+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really worth moving to Canada???????????????

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
imranali_2004us said:
Having seen all the post ,I also like to contribute,I have landed in Canada o 13th October.Now what I feel is that one should hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.Currently Canada is in recession,thats absolutely true,having seen all the things myself I have come to the conclusion that the way they are projecting that Canada is in Recovery stage,its not true at all,even odd jobs are hard to find,everyone welcomes u with so much warmth that u think that u have really impressed the employer and that the very next u will recieve a call from them but nothing happens,things just calm down,now just make one thing sure before u even purchase tickets that what are the real job prospects for your profession in canada,is there any certification ,courses u can do from your homeland to enhance your chances of hiring ,the best thing will be that u land here with some job offer in your hand otherwise life will be really difficult.No matter how many of close relatives and friends u have here,u will start feeling the guilt,so make sure before u land u know everything that can obstruct you in landing a job,identify ur area of weakness n deficiency according to the canadian system and try to work on that from ur homeland,

MAKE A SMART AND INTELLIGENT MOVE TO CANADA
Thanks imranali_2004us for the first hand information. Highly appreciated.

V

vbond007

Within 17 days of landing u started understanding the reality. But as frankly u have written ur experiences after landing, can u also state ur thinking before leaving for Canada. Persons like u and me say here the reality, but r such that they don't want to listen to it dream a lot about Canada, as they haven't yet landed there. And due to such 'blind' people, our friends & relatives have stopped communicating here the real situation as no one is going to believe and the adviser is treated as fool. So let the over-enthusiastic people reach there and have posts on this thread! - If they r left with enough courage to speak the truth. No matter of ur qualification, experience, intelligence, acceptability, fluency in English with Canadian Accent, Hard work, persistence, references when the people won't let u enter the system, then to give a positive advice to new comers is really hard to do. And let's see how many over-enthusiastic people can do it!

chandan

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
What some people like vbond007 don't realise is that people are different, they have different beliefs, different zeal, thinking, enthusiasm and even background. Because some people failed does not mean everybody would fail. Personally, i don't lose battles before i even start it. If i go to canada with such negative thoughts in my mind, i am 100% i would fail, this is the kind of person that i am. Even if i will get there and find it hard to get a cleaning job, i realise it is my 'new home', if i get there within 3weeks and assume that i have failed, then i where is the future? For me, canada is not a place i will go and fail. I am not saying others will not fail there. It is obvious and clear that others have even failed before they will get there.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chandan said:
What some people like vbond007 don't realise is that people are different, they have different beliefs, different zeal, thinking, enthusiasm and even background. Because some people failed does not mean everybody would fail. Personally, i don't lose battles before i even start it. If i go to canada with such negative thoughts in my mind, i am 100% i would fail, this is the kind of person that i am. Even if i will get there and find it hard to get a cleaning job, i realise it is my 'new home', if i get there within 3weeks and assume that i have failed, then i where is the future? For me, canada is not a place i will go and fail. I am not saying others will not fail there. It is obvious and clear that others have even failed before they will get there.
In this case, I fully agree with you. Each individual's situation as well as "Stress Limit" is different .

kimjim

Oct 30, 2009
ok guys , cool it

Here is my story , true , if you like to call me a failure ..... ur wish

I was well paid in a good job in S Korea , then the bug of canada with its GREAT life style /oppurtunities....bla blaa .... bit me.
I was all fired up ( like the other guys i find on this forum , who are " moving" what may come ... to make a great life in a GREAT country)....

then i landed here , the same companies with which i worked in Asia , refused to hire me here because i did not have the qualifications , i had worked for the same co's for years in asia... , but not here , because i did not come up to their standards !!!

It is a different thing to sit comfirtably and talk about " we shall struggle until successfull" , but when it comes to cleaning tables and floors it is a different story, beleive me it is not easy.

Happiest people over here are , who did not have anything to do back home , they are happy in what ever they get. But for a guy who was doing well before moving , it is very tough , it will take him YEARS to reach where he was before moving.

After staying here for 2 years , i am moving back , i do not discourage anyone , you all are welcome , but PLEASE donot come with wrong ideas,
i am lucky to find a job back home , i felel my kids will have a better life back home , they cam move to any country when they grow up , but why should i waste my life washing floors , when i can do better back home

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I think what you said is very fair and relevant. Sorry to hear it didn't turn out on the better side. Good luck with your move.

sk.aggarwal

Star Member
Aug 26, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 30, 2009
Doc's Request.
October 26, 2009
Nomination.....
-
IELTS Request
October 26, 2009
File Transfer...
October 26, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 2, 2010
Med's Done....
March 1, 2010
Interview........
not done yet
Passport Req..
Feb 2, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
April 03, 2010
LANDED..........
Lets see
Kimjim, I am sorry to hear about your experience. I completely agree with your thinking. But as you said you did got ability for your children to move any where in world. I assume you got Canadian citizenship.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kimjim said:
ok guys , cool it

Here is my story , true , if you like to call me a failure ..... ur wish

I was well paid in a good job in S Korea , then the bug of canada with its GREAT life style /oppurtunities....bla blaa .... bit me.
I was all fired up ( like the other guys i find on this forum , who are " moving" what may come ... to make a great life in a GREAT country)....

then i landed here , the same companies with which i worked in Asia , refused to hire me here because i did not have the qualifications , i had worked for the same co's for years in asia... , but not here , because i did not come up to their standards !!!

It is a different thing to sit comfirtably and talk about " we shall struggle until successfull" , but when it comes to cleaning tables and floors it is a different story, beleive me it is not easy.

Happiest people over here are , who did not have anything to do back home , they are happy in what ever they get. But for a guy who was doing well before moving , it is very tough , it will take him YEARS to reach where he was before moving.

After staying here for 2 years , i am moving back , i do not discourage anyone , you all are welcome , but PLEASE donot come with wrong ideas,
i am lucky to find a job back home , i felel my kids will have a better life back home , they cam move to any country when they grow up , but why should i waste my life washing floors , when i can do better back home
KimJim,
Your input is highly appreciated and I am indeed sorry to hear about your situation. I hope that the future in your homeland brings "sunshine to you and family".

However, the bitter truth is, some will survive and make it while others will sink and fail. I have always said, it is in the interest of the prospective immigrant to plan, plan and plan before executing.
One should be able to look at "half a glass full of water as half empty too".
Good luck to you and your family.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sk.aggarwal said:
Kimjim, I am sorry to hear about your experience. I completely agree with your thinking. But as you said you did got ability for your children to move any where in world. I assume you got Canadian citizenship.
I doubt if one can get the citizenship after 2 years.:)
Anyway, take a look at this. This is not to discourage anyone but for information purposes.:(
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090319/educated_immigrants_090318/20090319?hub=Canada

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Here's my tale of recently hiring someone (in a smaller city in Ontario). The position required a university degree (pref. in social sciences) (NOC A). It was a TEMPORARY 3 month position.

I received ~125 applications. Of those who applied, several were recent immigrants, some were not yet in Canada but looking for that AEO (remember, it was a 3 month temporary position - did not qualify for AEO). Some had PhDs, MDs - even a dual MD/PhD. WAY overqualified, to state the obvious. Some had engineering or even biophysics degrees - not particularly suited for this job. Had about 15 applications from the Toronto region (about 4-5 hours away - would require relocation for a temporary job?)

About 1/2 of those who applied met the minimum qualifications - that still left more than 50. Since the position required extensive telephone calling all around Ontario, we needed somebody with excellent verbal English and also preferrably French skills. Of the 125, only about 20 were bilingual English/French. That helped us narrow it down considerably. Here's the kicker - most of these were local or from the region, had graduated from college in the past 3-5 years, and were either unemployed or working in low-wage or part-time service sector jobs (e.g. fast food, social services), because that's all that's available here.

For many jobs, those communication skills are ESSENTIAL. As a foreign worker myself, I am very sympathetic to immigrant applications. I kept a handful in my "call" file (to test telephone skills). If I have trouble understanding, the average Canadian does not have a chance, esp. on the telephone. I know I am advantaged (at least in this country) by having English as my mother tongue. I speak (to varying degrees) 4 foreign languages, used to teach ESL, and have lived in several Non-English speaking countries. And it doesn't help when people misunderstand, ignore, or deliberately overlook the job requirements - looks like either a language skill problem, or someone who doesn't really care about rules and requirements. (And I know, it is often just desperation - but empathy turns to exasperation when the 100th CV comes in...).

And, the bottom line - lots of qualified locals are desperate for any job. This is a tough town for job-seekers. If the job requires knowledge of the region, people, etc... locals will have an advantage.

BUT - and here's my point, finally - the employment conditions I described are specific to my community, specific to this time. "Times are tough all over," true, but Canada is a BIG PLACE. French language skills are a requirement in Quebec, an advantage in Ontario, not so much in BC. There may be jobs and communities where Gujarati will be a language advantage. And job conditions will likely be different in a year, 5 years. You may get PR and decide to wait. If a good job in your field is the goal, YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK regarding a place to settle. Time and place are everything. The more you know about Canada...

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Good link Bobbyb. Also remember, if unemployment is bad, underemployment numbers will be much higher :(

Jes_ON...gread post. It is scary how many people look for few jobs. I hope everyone reads your post so they will be determined to better prepare themselves for Canada.

scorpiof3

Jul 30, 2009
Guys, it is an interesting insight from those who probably did go through bad and perhaps even traumatic experience living in Canada. All i can honestly say is this: whatever we do in life, wherever we may go in Life, it is up to us to make our own fortune. We are in control of our own destiny. We all experience the bad and the good, the ups and downs in life - wherever we are in this world. These experiences do not only happen in Canada, but anywhere in the world. Bad and good fortunes happen to all of us.

My friend who immigrated to Vancouver has this experience to share, she is a single mom and her experience made me feel confident of my decision to move. This is what she has to say:

"Right now, just like everywhere else, the economy is not good, jobs are scarce to find. You really have to have a stable job secured when or before you move to a new place, otherwise, it's like going to Vegas and going for a gamble. For my part and perhaps because i am in Admin, it was just my luck to have landed a job a week after I arrived here. I only had $80 when i got here but the fortunate thing is that i had my sisters here with me. As per living expenses, i will list down below my monthly expenses:
rent - $1380 inclusive of hot water (900sq ft one bedroom and a den)
utilities - $30 (if you use your heater, but i dont so my utility bill is usually only $20 and this is even in the winter)
phone - $40 (you can get a landline and it's cheaper, $20. but i use mobile so i can call anywhere)
gas - $20 (this usually is good for 3-4 days depending of course on how much you use)
groceries and food - $250 - $400 (depending on how many you are in your family, there's only me and my son so i only consume about $260 per month)
RESP/RPS - this is for you and for your kids, pension kind of thing, usually your employer will shoulder this
insurance - your employer should shoulder this
Again, everything is down to personal economics. So far, i cannot complain. Since moving here, i was able to pay my total personal debt of $9,000 (which i have accummulated back home) and to date, i only have $2,000 in debt. The quality of living in Canada is excellent. The school/education is free and there are a lot of help and support for family and children. There are a lot of jobs in the hotel and food and beverage industry. You can even get a job in the government based industry. I met an immigrant who is a janitor, who is working in my son's school. He was able to buy and sell 3 condos and he's been here for only 13 years and is now a Canadian citizen. He earns $26 per hour and he has great benefits because he works for the government.
I am going to be honest with you i am now looking for another job because our pharmaceutical company is going to merge this Nov and we could have another lay off. but i am not worried, i know that there is a job for me out there. I cannot complain. Life has been good for my son and myself. I would like to give my son the advantages and opportunity he so deserve in life. Right now, the only place i can see where such dreams can happen is here in Vancouver. Life is not a bed of roses, wherever you are. It is up to us make our lives better. I have experienced a lot of downfalls in London, in Manila, in Dubai. I will probably experience another downfall here in a month or two. But, it is never the end of the world. Something always comes up. Have faith."

Hope everyone will be inspired with her experience.....

BKKMAN

sk.aggarwal

Star Member
Aug 26, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 30, 2009
Doc's Request.
October 26, 2009
Nomination.....
-
IELTS Request
October 26, 2009
File Transfer...
October 26, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 2, 2010
Med's Done....
March 1, 2010
Interview........
not done yet
Passport Req..
Feb 2, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
April 03, 2010
LANDED..........
Lets see
Great eye opening posts.

BobbyB, I missed 2 years in jimkim's message

kimjim

Oct 30, 2009
I did not mean to discourage anyone , if u feel canada offers you oppurtunities , then do move in. But be prepared , it is easy when u are in a comfortable job to think big thoughts like " i will work hard and make it"... most of the people who come here come with these ideas only , but beleive me , very few are able to do well here .
I am telling the hard truth , most people dont tell the truth , they think if they say the truth people will think that they are failures.... , but i have seen very few people doing well here.., everybody thinks that somehow things will be different in his case , somehow he will get a good job....but it rarely happens ....if you think that doing odd jobs like working on cash counters , waiters... is a good job then it may be good for you to move here , but remember , many people think that they will do such jobs for a short while before moving to better jobs .... but most of people are unable to find better jobs and end up doing these jobs for years ..and that is when the frustration sets in
all i want is that , i have wasted 2 years of my & my families life over here , i want people to learn from me and not to commit the mistake i did ... think very hard before making a move , in my view , move ONLY if you are realy in a bad job or you have a job lined up here in canada, Donot think that you will come here and then try to find a job
if you think that you will get one after landing here , then be prepared for the shock of your life...

Anyway , good luck to everyone

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi Scorpiof3,

"I met an immigrant who is a janitor, who is working in my son's school. He was able to buy and sell 3 condos and he's been here for only 13 years and is now a Canadian citizen. He earns $26 per hour and he has great benefits because he works for the government. "

What are the job prerequisites? Recession proof and no mental stress.
Everyday is a new beginning.