+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it ok to work as a contractor after a year of being an employee ?

Mike0921

May 5, 2021
Hello experts,

I've gained 56 weeks (a year and a month) of full-time experience at my company as an employee. Now I want to change to working part-time, and will be paid as a contractor. I wish to claim the 56-week full-time experience in support of my PR application. But I'm wondering, does the contractor experience afterward have any negative effects on my eligibility?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello experts,

I've gained 56 weeks (a year and a month) of full-time experience at my company as an employee. Now I want to change to working part-time, and will be paid as a contractor. I wish to claim the 56-week full-time experience in support of my PR application. But I'm wondering, does the contractor experience afterward have any negative effects on my eligibility?

Thanks
For CEC, if you worked in Canada for a year as an an employee then you are eligible. If change to pt and contract, you will not gain more years for Canadian experience. if there is ever another CEC draw then this could impact your CRS score if you need higher points.

Mike0921

May 5, 2021
For CEC, if you worked in Canada for a year as an an employee then you are eligible. If change to pt and contract, you will not gain more years for Canadian experience. if there is ever another CEC draw then this could impact your CRS score if you need higher points.
Thank you so much. Since under the personal history, I’ll need to disclose all jobs, so I was wondering if I write 6 months contractor (as an intern), 1 year full time employee, and afterwards a few months contractor at the same company, will that look negative or not.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much. Since under the personal history, I’ll need to disclose all jobs, so I was wondering if I write 6 months contractor (as an intern), 1 year full time employee, and afterwards a few months contractor at the same company, will that look negative or not.
Working as a contractor does not have an impact if you are eligible for CEC.