+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is it better to marry in Canada or in the Philippines?

judien88

Oct 19, 2009
I am a PR in Canada and I want to sponsor my boyfriend. I know that we need to get married first. We've been dating for more than two years, I just don't know which is better, to marry in Philippines or marry in Canada (he will apply for tourist visa.)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
The legality may be equal in the eyes of Canada, but it is MUCH easier to get married in Canada than it was for my wife and me in China -- that I can assure you!!!

So check out what is involved in the Philippines before deciding. We did not have a choice; my wife could not get a temporary visa to Canada, so it was China by elimination.

bongd

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think it matters where you get married, as long as you can show them proof that you are indeed married.

One thing though, have your boyfriend apply for a visitor visa before the wedding, because it will be much harder once they have a legal record that you're a couple. I'm trying to get a visitor visa to spend Christmas with my husband, and we're a bit nervous that I won't get it.

Twix

Star Member
Mar 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Philippines, for a number of reasons:
1. cheaper
2. you don't have to apply for a tourist visa for your future husband, hence the third reason
3. it's faster

mrsmyle

Apr 1, 2009
I think it depends on where most of your family are - I would guess you want them to be part of this event. For me, I went back to the Philippines to get married, my wife's application has been approved and she will be going here before Christmas

lemonz

Nov 30, 2009
mrsmyle said:
I think it depends on where most of your family are - I would guess you want them to be part of this event. For me, I went back to the Philippines to get married, my wife's application has been approved and she will be going here before Christmas
how many months did it take from the day you submitted your application for sponsorship till it was approved and stamped with visa? because i am really desperate right now waiting.... =( we submitted our application last sept. 2009 and until now no response from the manila office.
thanks.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
mrsmyle said:
How long did it take for your sponsorship application to be processed (from filing till visa stamped on passport)?

wasted_year

Nov 19, 2009
why dont you get married in both places? that way you can take lots of pictures of the 2 of you with both sides of the family. it tells the immigration office that this marriage is accepted on both sides of the family. or a wedding in one country and a reception in the other.