+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is interview location negotiable?

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
I have an imaginary question:

I am currently working in Canada under a work permit and just filed my application under FSW2. My home country is governed by Beijing office, which is very far away from Canada. What if the local visa officer there require an interview with me sometime down the road? Do I have to suspend my current job and fly to Beijing right away or can I negotiate with them and try to do the interview in an office here in Canada, or even over the phone? Is there any room for negotiation?

Considering the costs and the risk of losing my job, I really don't know what I would do if that really happened.

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
liherb said:
I have an imaginary question:

I am currently working in Canada under a work permit and just filed my application under FSW2. My home country is governed by Beijing office, which is very far away from Canada. What if the local visa officer there require an interview with me sometime down the road? Do I have to suspend my current job and fly to Beijing right away or can I negotiate with them and try to do the interview in an office here in Canada, or even over the phone? Is there any room for negotiation?

Considering the costs and the risk of losing my job, I really don't know what I would do if that really happened.
Less than 10% of the applicants are called for interview. Pray you are not one of them. Interview is conducted, in person, by VO processing your application. There is no scope for any negotiation.

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Does it have to be conducted in person? I mean, if I am in Canada and the VO is in Beijing, can we do some video telecommunication interview? Many companies have adopted it already, why not CIC think in the applicants' shoes in this regard? :'(

SALIM BHAI

Aug 1, 2010
liherb said:
Does it have to be conducted in person? I mean, if I am in Canada and the VO is in Beijing, can we do some video telecommunication interview? Many companies have adopted it already, why not CIC think in the applicants' shoes in this regard? :'(
Interview location is Negotiable, you should inform China CHC that you dont want interview to be conducted in china, you can request interview to be scheduled in canada or USA, but there is not Video confrencing/Telcom interview.

Salim Bhai

weddingtonite

Star Member
Mar 13, 2011
Before issuing any interview request CIC officials should be well aware where the applicant is currently residing and interview should be scheduled in canada not in china.

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
SALIM BHAI said:
Interview location is Negotiable, you should inform China CHC that you dont want interview to be conducted in china, you can request interview to be scheduled in canada or USA, but there is not Video confrencing/Telcom interview.

Salim Bhai
Hi Salim Bhai, I am very interested in the possibility that you mentioned. How likely is such a request of location change be accepted? Is there any official source that addressing this issue? Thank you.

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
weddingtonite said:
Before issuing any interview request CIC officials should be well aware where the applicant is currently residing and interview should be scheduled in canada not in china.
Hi weddingtonite, does it mean I don't need to do anything, the interview, if there is one, will automatically be scheduled according the the mailing address label that I sent to CIO with my application package? Thank you.

Pk09

Jul 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
the easiest way to fidn out is to write to chc

weddingtonite

Star Member
Mar 13, 2011
liherb said:
Hi weddingtonite, does it mean I don't need to do anything, the interview, if there is one, will automatically be scheduled according the the mailing address label that I sent to CIO with my application package? Thank you.
Hi!

Yes it should happen automatically but in any case you will receive interview request at your address where you currently living and if it says in China you should inform them urgently that you are living in Canada and they should change it for you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

weddingtonite said:
Hi!

Yes it should happen automatically but in any case you will receive interview request at your address where you currently living and if it says in China you should inform them urgently that you are living in Canada and they should change it for you.
Your dreaming, the interview is held at the office processing the application, they don't change it. You either appear for the interview, or CIC/CHC makes a decision based on information on file, which is generally a refusal.

weddingtonite

Star Member
Mar 13, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

Your dreaming, the interview is held at the office processing the application, they don't change it. You either appear for the interview, or CIC/CHC makes a decision based on information on file, which is generally a refusal.
Is it really?? Thats nightmare then??

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

Oh really??? What factors normally lead up to an interview? I am not worrying about the interview per se. But considering the costs, it may not be worth it. CIC sometimes just assumes everything is free of costs on the applicant's part. :'(

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EDIT - Incorrect manual - see next post.

liherb said:
Oh really??? What factors normally lead up to an interview? I am not worrying about the interview per se. But considering the costs, it may not be worth it. CIC sometimes just assumes everything is free of costs on the applicant's part. :'(
Confirming identity, looking at the validity of the relationship, is the relationship real......

From OP2: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Officers should interview applicants and their family members only when it is essential to assess an application. Waive interviews whenever possible.
Interviews may help to confirm applicants' identities and relationship to sponsors or other family members.
Interviews may also clarify any questions about applicants' admissibility.
Interviews may be conducted at a visa office or any other appropriate location.
Ask applicants to bring any documents necessary for the selection decision.
If a relationship of convenience is suspected, officers may wish to interview applicants (and sponsor where applicable) separately.
Focus interviews on information essential for the decision.
See OP 1 for more information on interviewing applicants.

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Baloo said:
Confirming identity, looking at the validity of the relationship, is the relationship real......

From OP2: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Officers should interview applicants and their family members only when it is essential to assess an application. Waive interviews whenever possible.
Interviews may help to confirm applicants' identities and relationship to sponsors or other family members.
Interviews may also clarify any questions about applicants' admissibility.
Interviews may be conducted at a visa office or any other appropriate location.
Ask applicants to bring any documents necessary for the selection decision.
If a relationship of convenience is suspected, officers may wish to interview applicants (and sponsor where applicable) separately.
Focus interviews on information essential for the decision.
See OP 1 for more information on interviewing applicants.
That sounds like family class though, I am applying Federal Skilled Worker class. Is there a dedicated official document addressing interview conditions for FSW? Thanks a lot!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liherb said:
That sounds like family class though, I am applying Federal Skilled Worker class. Is there a dedicated official document addressing interview conditions for FSW? Thanks a lot!
My apologies.

FSW notes OP 6 about interviews :

13.2. Use of interviews
Selection standards are objective, clearly defined and can be assessed in straightforward cases through the information provided on the application for permanent residence and the accompanying supporting documents.
In most cases, officers should be able to make selection decisions—either to approve or refuse applications—from the documentation provided. However, in some cases, an interview may be necessary.
Any concerns officers have regarding the accuracy or authenticity of information or documentation should be communicated to the applicant, whether these concerns are raised as the result of site visits, telephone checks or other means. Concerns can be communicated to the applicant in writing or at interview.

Officers may conduct interviews with applicants to:
ensure that information submitted on the application is truthful and complete;
detect and deter fraudulent information and documents;
clarify specific information;
conduct quality assurance.

Officers may not conduct interviews to:
assess language abilities;
determine personal suitability (as this factor no longer exists).

Note:
Visa offices will be expected to undertake both targeted and random verifications to detect and deter fraud. The number and percentage of cases subjected to verification should be high enough to act as a meaningful disincentive to those who would attempt such practices. A40 makes material misrepresentation a grounds for inadmissibility in its own right and prescribes a two-year ban on those both directly and indirectly involved in such practices. Interviews, site visits and telephone checks have proven to be the most effective ways to detect and to combat fraud. The information gained at interviews where fraud is detected will help officers to identify current trends and patterns and to refine their profiles for ongoing use.

OP 6 file
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf