+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is having relatives in Canada a red flag?

ser5600

Jul 3, 2016
IMM5490 asks if the principal applicant has any family or relatives in Canada. My wife has an uncle, aunt, and 3 cousins (all part of the same family) in Canada. Is this going to be a red flag for her? Her immediate family (parents and siblings) are in her home country.

chhapa

Oct 4, 2015
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
27-08-2015
AOR Received.
15-10-2015
File Transfer...
06-11-2015
Interview........
November
LANDED..........
02-05-2017
ser5600 said:
IMM5490 asks if the principal applicant has any family or relatives in Canada. My wife has an uncle, aunt, and 3 cousins (all part of the same family) in Canada. Is this going to be a red flag for her? Her immediate family and all the rest of her relatives are in her home country.
No, its not redflag, its vice versa

M

mikeymyke

It is a bit of a red flag even if theyre not immediate family members. Whats the connection between her relatives, Canada, you and her? Did her relatives introduce u to her? If not, it might be a red flag because they might assume, out of all the countries to find a spouse, why would she pick one that happens to be in same country as her relatives?

Also a big part of this is what country she is from, and if she has had a history of trying to come to Canada

But at the same time, I dont recall the forms asking for info about relatives, just immediate family, so maybe they wont know , but I know CIc always finds this stuff out

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
mikeymyke said:
It is a bit of a red flag even if theyre not immediate family members. Whats the connection between her relatives, Canada, you and her? Did her relatives introduce u to her? If not, it might be a red flag because they might assume, out of all the countries to find a spouse, why would she pick one that happens to be in same country as her relatives?

Also a big part of this is what country she is from, and if she has had a history of trying to come to Canada

But at the same time, I dont recall the forms asking for info about relatives, just immediate family, so maybe they wont know , but I know CIc always finds this stuff out
Agreed

ser5600

Jul 3, 2016
mikeymyke said:

No, IMM5490 clearly asks for family and relatives in Canada. She is from afghanistan and she does not have any travel history at all. The connection is that her canadian aunt is the wife of my mom's brother... so that means her aunt and uncle are also my aunt and uncle even before the marriage.

in the same form they ask ask who introduced us, and for that question she wrote my grandmother's name. The relatives also played a part obviously but there was only room for 1 name.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
ser5600 said:
No, IMM5490 clearly asks for family and relatives in Canada. She is from afghanistan and she does not have any travel history at all. The connection is that her canadian aunt is the wife of my mom's brother... so that means her aunt and uncle are also my aunt and uncle even before the marriage.

in the same form they ask ask who introduced us, and for that question she wrote my grandmother's name. The relatives also played a part obviously but there was only room for 1 name.
if you and your wife are connected through her relatives in canada, i am sure the visa officer will be able to put one and one together and figure out that her relatives played a part in introducing you two to each other, even if you didn't explicitly mention this on an of the forms. i agree with mikey; it would be a red flag if you were NOT related to her aunt, uncle, and cousins. but since you are related to them, i would not worry. relax!

ser5600

Jul 3, 2016
I called my lawyer and he says it should not be a red flag because i am related to my wife's relatives. Who to believe? :-\

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ser5600 said:
I called my lawyer and he says it should not be a red flag because i am related to my wife's relatives. Who to believe? :-\
it's Not a red flag for PR application , it will be a big red flag for visitor visa application

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
This is another area where there is no one answer. It depends on many factors.

If the visa officer suspects that the marriage is a marriage of convenience, the applicant having relatives in Canada is a red flag. Having relatives in Canada is only one reason they might suspect a marriage of convenience.

But for example an applicant who has almost his or her entire family in Canada is going to be more suspect than someone who has just a couple of relatives.

Just answer the question truthfully. I have seen an appeal that was refused because the applicant did not mention her aunt who lived in Canada. Her excuse was that she did not know the aunt's address. It is much better to just list the relatives; if some information is not known, just attach a separate sheet of paper to that form and explain.

In your case it does not look like much of a red flag, mostly because her closer relatives are in her own country. Just list them.

If you are worried about the potential red flag, just include a bit more evidence that the relationship is genuine.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
TANMEX said:
it's Not a red flag for PR application , it will be a big red flag for visitor visa application
Hubby had a work permit denied for having a "number" of relatives in Canada...it was a temporary work permit and they thought he would not leave...He also had a TRP...AND we had his PR application already submitted...

canphil

Jul 5, 2016
What about this situation, my girlfriend in the Philippines has two relatives living in Canada - a first cousin (married) and a niece (a daugher of a cousin -married) but she is not at all close to them, no contact between them. Has only met the first cousin once when 4 yrs old and the niece she never met. All we know is the city they live in but not address. On lives in Manitoba, the other in Ontario. Is this a red flag for our outland common law sponsorship to Canada?

M

mikeymyke

Just a correction on my first post, OP was right, there is a question that asks if you have relatives living in Canada.

And yes, relatives in Canada is only one of the red flags, if the rest of your relationship is solid, it shouldn't be a big deal. They look at many red flags, not just focusing on one only.
canphil said:
What about this situation, my girlfriend in the Philippines has two relatives living in Canada - a first cousin (married) and a niece (a daugher of a cousin -married) but she is not at all close to them, no contact between them. Has only met the first cousin once when 4 yrs old and the niece she never met. All we know is the city they live in but not address. On lives in Manitoba, the other in Ontario. Is this a red flag for our outland common law sponsorship to Canada?
How did your girlfriend get to know you? Did any of those relatives introduce you to her? How did it come about she's got a boyfriend from Canada, which happens to be where she's got some familial connections (even if not close)? Was it just simply chance that she met you in her hometown, and you just happened to be Canadian?

Just a personal question, but did you dye your hair? Or are you just aging well? :p

canphil

Jul 5, 2016
mikeymyke said:
Just a correction on my first post, OP was right, there is a question that asks if you have relatives living in Canada.

And yes, relatives in Canada is only one of the red flags, if the rest of your relationship is solid, it shouldn't be a big deal. They look at many red flags, not just focusing on one only.
How did your girlfriend get to know you? Did any of those relatives introduce you to her? How did it come about she's got a boyfriend from Canada, which happens to be where she's got some familial connections (even if not close)? Was it just simply chance that she met you in her hometown, and you just happened to be Canadian?

Just a personal question, but did you dye your hair? Or are you just aging well? :p

No she was not introduced to me by any of her relatives. It was me who first contacted her. I found her on Facebook and sent her a friend request, that was more than 3 years ago. Someone else told us it is can be a positive sign for us to have relatives in Canada.

LOL my hair.. sometimes I color it and it's getting easier and easier to do because less and less of it to do LOL

crazy D

Aug 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Aug-2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
AOR1-28-Sept-2016,AOR2-20-oct-2016
File Transfer...
SA 7-Oct-2016 (ECAS in process oct 15,'16)/BC in Progress-dec 2 '16, pre-arrival received-dec 16'16
Med's Done....
22th July 2016-upfront(passed)-nov 28
Interview........
Waived :)
Passport Req..
And DM - 12-jan-'17- mycic -closed/approved-18-jan-'17
VISA ISSUED...
19-Jan-17
LANDED..........
28-jan-17 :)
if having a relatives in canada is one of the red flag.

I'm glad no additional red flag in our case. ;D

cheers!

AladdinsGirl

Dec 3, 2014
Cairo, Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
CAIRO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2016
AOR Received.
05-07-2016
File Transfer...
12-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-05-2016
Passport Req..
12-10-2016
crazy D said:
if having a relatives in canada is one of the red flag.

I'm glad no additional red flag in our case. ;D

cheers!

Agreed, same with my situation :p