+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is first language (IELTS) the same as native language ?

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
Folks,

I have one query and seek your expert opinion. Is first language (chosen in IELTS) the same as native language ? I have received my IELTS scorecard in which, my first language shows up as HINDI (national language of India). This is what I chose when I filled up the IELTS form which probably was wrong.

But my native language is a south indian language. Will mentioning a different language in PR application other than what is given in IELTS scorecard create a problem ?

Canadavisa07

Oct 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2012
AOR Received.
23-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
22-05-2013
Med's Done....
27-05-2013
Passport Req..
30-07-2013
Yes First language is the same as native language.

I think it may create a problem if you mention a different language than the one chosen during your IELTS since CIC will refer your IELTS score card for your native language. Also, you will have to mention your name in native language in the background declaration form that you selected as Hindi.

Hope that clarifies !

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
Thanks! I will make sure to maintain uniformity in my application with 'Hindi' as my native language.

sunbun

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Hi Andy,
I would suggest you speak to IELTS service provider on whether you can change the first language option as practically there is no difference choosing Hindi or other south indian languages. If it is a simple process, better you choose that option so you continue reporting accurate information everywhere.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Andy2109 said:
Thanks! I will make sure to maintain uniformity in my application with 'Hindi' as my native language.
Hmmm... maintain a uniform error? Not a good idea. Change the info with IELTS.

Andy2109

Champion Member
May 7, 2012
London Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02 Jan 13
AOR Received.
17 Feb 13
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
23 Oct 13
Sorry but it is a personal choice. Hindi is our India's national language and I can own to call it my 'native language'. My father speaks a different language than my mother. And I was born in a state where a third different language is spoken than both of them.

India has more than 250 languages and it can get really confusing.

bahadur30

Mar 29, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - CPP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
File Transfer...
DID UPFRONT MEDICAL
Med's Request
22-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-06-2013
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
18-12-2013
Andy,

Well you can assume Hind as your native language ..and maintain that in your all forms ....and so there is no error.

just make sure that in some of the forms you have to write the names in your native language ..so write it in Hindi ..and thats it.

I dont see this as an issue from any angle ..

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Andy2109 said:
Sorry but it is a personal choice. Hindi is our India's national language and I can own to call it my 'native language'. My father speaks a different language than my mother. And I was born in a state where a third different language is spoken than both of them.

India has more than 250 languages and it can get really confusing.
The only thing that is confusing is that in your first post, you say that your native language is not Hindi, and now you say it is :)

Calgary_Man

Dec 28, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/New Delhi
NOC Code......
SPOUSAL VISA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-MARCH-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
AOR1- 23-JUNE-2014, AOR2 - 02-JULY-2014, IP - 19-SEPT-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
23-JUNE-2014
Med's Request
FILED WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
21 FEB 2014
Interview........
INTERVIEW - WAIVED, DM - 14 OCT, 2014
Passport Req..
13 OCT, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 21, 2014
LANDED..........
NOV 10, 2014
how wud u describe this?
i was born in montreal..french is my native lang; but i can call english my native lang since say i live in victoria n my parents speak eng not french ???

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary_Man said:
how wud u describe this?
i was born in montreal..french is my native lang; but i can call english my native lang since say i live in victoria n my parents speak eng not french ???
Native language is supposedly the language that you learned at home during childhood and one which you still understand. If your parents speak English at home, then that's what you as a child learn at home. If so, you could call English your native language. But if your parents speak French at home, that's the first language you are initiated to and build command on, and therefore it could be referred to as your native language.

Yes, it does get trickier in today's world!!

ahmerkhan

Mar 10, 2017
RanjithP said:
Native language is supposedly the language that you learned at home during childhood and one which you still understand. If your parents speak English at home, then that's what you as a child learn at home. If so, you could call English your native language. But if your parents speak French at home, that's the first language you are initiated to and build command on, and therefore it could be referred to as your native language.

Yes, it does get trickier in today's world!!
Thanks for this clarification. I had put English as my first language for my IELTS exam. I felt that is the language that I am most adept with and have studied and worked in all my life. I've however been born and brought up in Delhi (India) but felt English is the language that I am the most fluent with. Now in the PR form they're asking for my First Language/Mother tongue. I guess I will have to now stick to English right? Even though technically my mother tongue is Urdu/Hindi?

sachdev

Aug 9, 2017
can i change my first language code in trf card after the result out.i wrongly wirtten as english.but my first language is punjabi.mistake done by me.is it possible to change first language code in british ielts.

metalrahul

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for this clarification. I had put English as my first language for my IELTS exam. I felt that is the language that I am most adept with and have studied and worked in all my life. I've however been born and brought up in Delhi (India) but felt English is the language that I am the most fluent with. Now in the PR form they're asking for my First Language/Mother tongue. I guess I will have to now stick to English right? Even though technically my mother tongue is Urdu/Hindi?
Also, most of us in India who went to English medium schools might have learnt all subjects in English so it gets a bit tricky. I mean English was my first language in School, second language was Hindi and third language was my native language.

shridwd

Aug 7, 2017
Also, most of us in India who went to English medium schools might have learnt all subjects in English so it gets a bit tricky. I mean English was my first language in School, second language was Hindi and third language was my native language.
Hi
I have mentioned as my 1st langauge as English in IELTS, but now in PR application form it is First Language/Mother Tongue option, as I studied English as my 1st language but mother tongue is Kannada . Bit confused which one to fill in the form.

Jan 25, 2019
Hi I have put English as my first language in my IELTS, but now for the applications to college and future processes which language should I mention. My mother tongue is kannada. But my medium of study was English. Now please help me with this.