+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada a Better Place Than the UAE / Gulf?

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
canada11 said:
Canada is better if your family income is AED 15,000 pm or less having two school going kids .

Canada is better if your family income is between AED 15,000 to 20,000 pm having two school going kids .

Canada is better in long term of 20 years or so if your family income is between AED 20,000 to 30,000 pm having two school going kids .

UAE is better is better if your family income is between AED 30,000 to 50,000 pm by working in govt sector having two school going kids. Only downside is you will never get passport
May be…. possibly true. But not always since there is no guarantee that you can continue for 20 years in UAE…..

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Very True... Apart from Passport, continuity or uncertainty is a major factor depending where u are working..

All your life style is dependent on the work visa which may get bulldozed anytime

May2010applicant said:
May be…. possibly true. But not always since there is no guarantee that you can continue for 20 years in UAE…..

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
In terms of Technology, infrastructure,security & lifestyle there is not much difference although continuity is a question which tilts towards Canada

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
I have lived in the UK, Canada and Middle east. What my experience is that Middle east is good for expats who have western passport. There are lot of Indians, Pakistani, Filipinos professionals work in the middle east and even getting good tax free salary. However, they don't have any security and rights here in middle east and they are treated here like a 3rd world nationals.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Not sure how the recent Trump win is going to affect Canada. Especially from the immigrants / minorities point of view. Unfortunately, what trump has proven that racism and bigotry are the new tools of success in North America. In my opinion, it would be difficult for Canadians to remain immune from this possibility.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Yes, his election will be bad for everybody?

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Here we go. This is exactly what I was talking about.

"Trump’s win an ‘exciting message’ that’s needed in Canada, Kellie Leitch says
The Tory leadership candidate’s campaign has proposed screening immigrants for as-yet undefined Canadian values, while criticizing her fellow candidates."
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/11/09/trumps-win-an-exciting-message-thats-needed-in-canada-kellie-leitch-says.html

May2010applicant said:
Not sure how the recent Trump win is going to affect Canada. Especially from the immigrants / minorities point of view. Unfortunately, what trump has proven that racism and bigotry are the new tools of success in North America. In my opinion, it would be difficult for Canadians to remain immune from this possibility.

alnemeh82

Mar 10, 2017
I have the same dilemma of choosing between Dubai and Canada. I moved to Dubai from Jordan 4 years ago. I was broke and in debt. Now at 35, I`m a director in a big firm and make in a month more than what I used to make in a year back home. I love Dubai, It has been good to me. It elevated my life style and carer path big time. My only concern is what would happen if I lose my job in Dubai. The world economy is always at stack. No one knows what the future holds in terms of job stability and my main fear is to end up going back home. I love my country, dont get me wrong, but cant stand the backward thinking of the majority, political corruption, poverty, unemployment, racism etc...and want to ensure that my kids will have a better environment to grow than the one I had. I received my PR as a Skilled Immigrant recently and have to choose on whether to drop my high position and take a leap of faith or stay here for the money and lifestyle and lose on the chance of gaining a citizenship that will give me an adequate human rights. I worked hard for my job and I know it will probably take me another decade to get a similar position in Canada. I lived in Europe and I loved it, but never been to Canada and although it looks beautiful on Youtube Im not sure if I`m going to like it. I heard Dr. and engineers end up working at McDonald, which freaks me out. Again, dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with side jobs to support your self and family, but it is not easy for someone who invested years of his life studying and building a carer to throw it all away. Not sure how this will impact my insanity ...
An insight from someone with a similar situation/experience is highly appreciated.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
I have the same dilemma of choosing between Dubai and Canada. I moved to Dubai from Jordan 4 years ago. I was broke and in debt. Now at 35, I`m a director in a big firm and make in a month more than what I used to make in a year back home. I love Dubai, It has been good to me. It elevated my life style and carer path big time. My only concern is what would happen if I lose my job in Dubai. The world economy is always at stack. No one knows what the future holds in terms of job stability and my main fear is to end up going back home. I love my country, dont get me wrong, but cant stand the backward thinking of the majority, political corruption, poverty, unemployment, racism etc...and want to ensure that my kids will have a better environment to grow than the one I had. I received my PR as a Skilled Immigrant recently and have to choose on whether to drop my high position and take a leap of faith or stay here for the money and lifestyle and lose on the chance of gaining a citizenship that will give me an adequate human rights. I worked hard for my job and I know it will probably take me another decade to get a similar position in Canada. I lived in Europe and I loved it, but never been to Canada and although it looks beautiful on Youtube Im not sure if I`m going to like it. I heard Dr. and engineers end up working at McDonald, which freaks me out. Again, dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with side jobs to support your self and family, but it is not easy for someone who invested years of his life studying and building a carer to throw it all away. Not sure how this will impact my insanity ...
An insight from someone with a similar situation/experience is highly appreciated.
Bump for an answer from a more experienced member with a similar situation

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Bump for an answer from a more experienced member with a similar situation
Not going to comment on Canada versus any other country as that is down to individual interpretation and everyone sees negatives/positives either way. However the first thing for the OP to do is to complete a landing to 'activate' their PR before any expiration date having come so far already in the process.

It only needs to be a short landing and granted for a whole family is an expense however once that is out of the way the OP can stay away for up to just under 3 years without causing issues with the residency obligation. Make the trip an adventure for the family, have a look around at housing, schools and the job market and if time approach some companies directly.

Still might have to make that leap of faith in the future but will have a lot more time to make that decision and with PR already in hand you become a bit more attractive to any potential employers even though not easy from outside the country..

You might get off the plane, spend a couple of weeks vacation and hate it . On the other hand even though being on vacation is not same as living somewhere you may love it and cannot wait to come back permenently but at least once PR landing process is complete you have time to make that leap or not without always later on looking back and thinking 'what if' I had taken that opportunity..

Note the above is a personal view based on what I might do in the same situation and despite what anyone else may post negative or positive ultimately only the individual should make the final decision. .

Last edited:

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Not going to comment on Canada versus any other country as that is down to individual interpretation and everyone sees negatives/positives either way. However the first thing for the OP to do is to complete a landing to 'activate' their PR before any expiration date having come so far already in the process.

It only needs to be a short landing and granted for a whole family is an expense however once that is out of the way the OP can stay away for up to just under 3 years without causing issues with the residency obligation. Make the trip an adventure for the family, have a look around at housing, schools and the job market and if time approach some companies directly.

Still might have to make that leap of faith in the future but will have a lot more time to make that decision and with PR already in hand you become a bit more attractive to any potential employers even though not easy from outside the country..

You might get off the plane, spend a couple of weeks vacation and hate it . On the other hand even though being on vacation is not same as living somewhere you may love it and cannot wait to come back permenently but at least once PR landing process is complete you have time to make that leap or not without always later on looking back and thinking 'what if' I had taken that opportunity..

Note the above is a personal view based on what I might do in the same situation and despite what anyone else may post negative or positive ultimately only the individual should make the final decision. .
Very well said,my main concern though is not able to practice my profession and the struggle
That will have to go through till i reach to that point

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well it depends on what matters more in life... trust me there is no right or wrong answer - It depends on who you are and what you want in life

migrating to a different country is a major lifechanging step... you need to think long and hard before you make any decisions.

Let me make one thing very clear which not a lot of people have highlighted - The fruits of immigration are rarely enjoyed by the applicants, its extremely rare... immigration is something which is helpful more for your children... So when you are making a decision to migrate or not - Think in terms of what is best for your children, not for yourself... Becoz most of us who apply average around 30-32 years, it will take years for us to integrate and carve a niche for yourself in a new country... by that time you are halfway to retirement anyway. Its really your kids and their kids who benefit.

Ive lived in India almost all my life, been in UAE for like 7 years, trust me I love UAE... the money and the lifestyle here is something which is hard to match. You can travel the world and almost any destination is a direct flight away... Like yourself even i was in debt when i came here, and now I can pretty much buy whatever i feel like - whenever i feel like... But I have seen the other side also, when you lose your job, and are searching desparately to find a better or atleast an equivalent job, otherwise you pack your bags and go home - thats hardly any stability. Its much harder to go back to India and live there, after getting used to the life here

You also have to remember there is no guarantee that canada will be kind to you... What is guaranteed is the struggle... but if you play your cards right, have right expectations and with a little bit of luck , i'm sure most of us will make it there... You will never earn as much in Canada (most times half or less) as you will here... but its a question of what is more important you know...

Keep in mind that most friends who have kids living here are worried that their kids are too soft or too protected - maid does everything for you, parents do the remaining parts, they are not really ready for a harsh life outside... whether they will be prepared to take on the world at a later stage is a tough question to answer.

Final thing to remember is retirement - at the age of 50 (Lets say 50 instead of 60) would you really want to be back in Jordan to spend the remaining years of your life ?? with poor healthcare and all that... ?

Anyway like I said there is no one correct answer, and for everyone their priorities are different.... But try looking at the big picture, think about yourself and your family - think about whats best for them and choose whatever makes sense :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are making good money in the Middle East, why don't live in Canada for retirement? You won't be ending up working in fast food chains unless for leisure.

@316: how would the children and grandchildren benefit? Also, Jordan is a better retirement destination than Canada?

Last edited:

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are making good money in the Middle East, why don't live in Canada for retirement? You won't be ending up working in fast food chains unless for leisure.

@316: how would the children and grandchildren benefit? Also, Jordan is a better retirement destination than Canada?
Well I'm pretty sure you cant just decide to live in Canada after retirement age... i doubt canada is looking for old people who do not contribute to the economy and are a burden on the healthcare... only way that I know of currently to migrate for old people is on parents visa or investment visa..

The thing with living in ME is you never know when you will lose your job and be asked to leave the country - EVERYTHING depends on your job, and i mean everything... from your wife's dependent visa to your kids school education.. imagine i lose my job in January and i cant find a new job by March, i would have to exit the country with my family, remove my kids from the school midway through the academic year, go back home and start a new, forget about me the child loses an year becoz of this... and that is best case scenario ... scary isnt it ?? :)

children and grandchildren would benefit becoz they will have a western passport, good education and a fairly safe place to grow up... and not to mention a good and healthy lifestyle - they wont be brought up in ACs lol

I've never lived in Jordan so i cant comment - But i think its a fair assumption that Canada is a better country to live in than Jordan...

hardworkpays

May 8, 2014
Bahrain
Category........
Visa Office......
WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Sep-14
Doc's Request.
CC charged 25-Nov-2014
Nomination.....
PER-22-Jan-2015
AOR Received.
23-Mar-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted With Application
File Transfer...
22-Jan-2015
Med's Request
17-Apr-2015
Exactly the same situation as this. The dilemma is so enormous that in a single day I think of moving and the same day I consider not to move. Myself as well, 35 years old with 2 kids. Spent round about 10 years in Middle east to reach to the current level. Some how ended up in a Govt. Job here as engineer. I can save upto 7 $ out of every 10 $ I make, with of course good living standards. Keeping the current job for another 5 to 7 years seems more then likely. In all this current not so bad situation, we already did landing in 2016, and now 2018 dead-line of moving permanently is looming over my head. I am going nuts on this situation.
Unable to decide whether to move and start from scratch or just continue and save as much as possible for the rainy days of future.
I understand the importance of kids future and education in Canada, but frightened to my core by thoughts of not being able to even pay in Canada for their basic needs for house, food, clothes etc.
I too from India, and of course would be afraid of moving back from Middle East to India in my 50s or 60s.
but I would be more afraid of moving back from Canada to India in my 50s or 60s empty handed.

Reactions: Nobatia