+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is asylum possible for Ukrainian citizens?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thank you, I get your point. Job experience is my biggest concern considering that I have only worked as a labourer on a plant. I'm doing some research about Manitoba Provincial Nomination Program. It seems there is no eligible occupations list or eligible noc types
Why are you not answering my question? As @scylla pointed out there are special draws that require meeting only the bare minimum criteria, but you have 3 years on CUAET. What's the issue with coming here and retraining in order to find a skilled job regardless? You could even do it to the extent where you become a supervisor in the same profession which makes it a skilled job. I mean, seriously, who wants to be a labourer in a factory forever? This is your opportunity to not only get PR in Canada, but to actually get ahead too.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
A friend personally knows a Ukrainian national who lived for more than 6 years in an African country, and he had a business that made him earn a lot of money. His wife is a local citizen of the country where he lives (and of course had a permanent residence of the country in question, by marriage)

Personally I find that the special program for Ukrainians is unfair, in the sense that it grants a privilege to Ukrainians only because they are Ukrainians... Without any consideration of their real situations or the urgency of their case.
Given the gravity of the situation and the fact you're dealing with millions of people, they don't have time to consider the circumstances of each case. Don't also for a second think Canada didn't use this as a business opportunity as well as good PR from a humanitarian perspective.

Ukrainians are very smart, educated and peaceful for the most part - Sask has a big Ukrainian pop and the many Ukrainians I've met are simply amazing. They make up most of my workforce and I love them to bits. So this was an one-time opportunity for Canada to import a smart bunch of people with a culture that's extremely easy to integrate in order to plug the labour shortages we have.

Like I don't want to bring race into this, but if I was working at IRCC Ukrainians would be at the top of my wish list if I could choose who to import.

You're definitely right though, this war turned out to be quite the lottery/miracle for Ukrainians to get easy PR in Canada regardless of their circumstances.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Given the gravity of the situation and the fact you're dealing with millions of people, they don't have time to consider the circumstances of each case. Don't also for a second think Canada didn't use this as a business opportunity as well as good PR from a humanitarian perspective.

Ukrainians are very smart, educated and peaceful for the most part - Sask has a big Ukrainian pop and the many Ukrainians I've met are simply amazing. They make up most of my workforce and I love them to bits. So this was an one-time opportunity for Canada to import a smart bunch of people with a culture that's extremely easy to integrate in order to plug the labour shortages we have.

Like I don't want to bring race into this, but if I was working at IRCC Ukrainians would be at the top of my wish list if I could choose who to import.

You're definitely right though, this war turned out to be quite the lottery/miracle for Ukrainians to get easy PR in Canada regardless of their circumstances.

You quoted only a part of my speech... Which alters the meaning of my words... This is not very ''intellectual honest''.

Second observation : You are referring to a preference based on race or ethnicity if you were an IRCC agent... Thank goodness Canada is a rule of law country: there are clear rules based on rules, laws and regulations... Everyone is on the same boat: the applications for permanent residence of a French, Indian, or Norwegian temporary worker are treated in the same way... And if there is a manifestly unfounded decision (or issued by an agent who would have racist thoughts, like those to which you alluded), there are avenues of appeal and challenge ... I have even seen some review decisions judicial of the federal court to rectify (or correct) decisions of agents for the attribution of visa courses stays, students or visitors.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
You quoted only a part of my speech... Which alters the meaning of my words... This is not very ''intellectual honest''.

Second observation : You are referring to a preference based on race or ethnicity if you were an IRCC agent... Thank goodness Canada is a rule of law country: there are clear rules based on rules, laws and regulations... Everyone is on the same boat: the applications for permanent residence of a French, Indian, or Norwegian temporary worker are treated in the same way... And if there is a manifestly unfounded decision (or issued by an agent who would have racist thoughts, like those to which you alluded), there are avenues of appeal and challenge ... I have even seen some review decisions judicial of the federal court to rectify (or correct) decisions of agents for the attribution of visa courses stays, students or visitors.
I read your full post, and it was a very good post, and my comment stands. Canada didn't do this just on humanitarian grounds - they seized an opportunity to get a skilled pool of labour from a country that has it has a very strong cultural connection to. If we had mass unemployment or a financial crisis, I doubt this was happened. The labour shortage is working in everyone's favour, especially Ukrainians.

Everyone clearly isn't in the same boat. If you're Ukrainian, Syrian, Afghan or French - you have an undeniable advantage in your chances to come to Canada. In SK our Minister also went to the Philippines to recruit 100 nurses himself. Is that racist? Or did he just pick a country that provides a skilled pool of labour to Canada - why didn't he go to Africa as well? etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Do think the people living in Ukraine and without other possibilities should have been prioritized. We have seen a few cases where Ukranians have been living abroad with a Ukrainian spouse or a spouse of other nationality and often living in their home country in safety. They have received CUAET while others without other options have not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I read your full post, and it was a very good post, and my comment stands. Canada didn't do this just on humanitarian grounds - they seized an opportunity to get a skilled pool of labour from a country that has it has a very strong cultural connection to. If we had mass unemployment or a financial crisis, I doubt this was happened. The labour shortage is working in everyone's favour, especially Ukrainians.

Everyone clearly isn't in the same boat. If you're Ukrainian, Syrian, Afghan or French - you have an undeniable advantage in your chances to come to Canada. In SK our Minister also went to the Philippines to recruit 100 nurses himself. Is that racist? Or did he just pick a country that provides a skilled pool of labour to Canada - why didn't he go to Africa as well? etc.
It is definitely mostly a humanitarian program. Originally it wasn’t it was a work program without access to welfare or healthcare if you didn’t work. That lasted a few weeks. The population is mainly made up of single mothers with children and some elderly not all single men or 2 parent households so there are many challenges getting Ukrainians becoming financially self-sufficient. The availability and cost of childcare is one of the biggest hurdles.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Do think the people living in Ukraine and without other possibilities should have been prioritized. We have seen a few cases where Ukranians have been living abroad with a Ukrainian spouse or a spouse of other nationality and often living in their home country in safety. They have received CUAET while others without other options have not.
I agree.

In addition, I know that for refugees who apply for permanent residence, for example, there is an additional form, which asks if the applicant has another status elsewhere, in another country: Temporary residence, permanent residence, or citizenship outside of the country against which he obtained citizenship...

Again, I understand that the context is slightly different here: Clearly the federal government of Canada did not want to bring Ukrainians with refugee status to allow them to eventually return after the war, without damage to their eventual permanent residences. .... But, despite everything, I think that at a minimum, a device similar to that of the form given to refugees who apply for permanent residence would have been a minimum: A form, or the applicant Ukrainians certify on their honor by signing (and a form that is written in Ukrainian, Russian, in addition to English and French: so that no one pretends ignorance afterwards), that when applying for the special program, he has no no residence or citizenship other than Ukrainian + That he lived in Ukraine in the 6 months preceding the application, for example.

Such a form would make it possible to concentrate the program for those who need it most + possibly to disqualify the abusers, even later, because they will have lied in the form....

It would have been minimal. A Ukrainian, for example, married to a Romanian and having a permanent residence in the country of his wife is already protected by this fact.

This program is excessively generous... The op should thank Canada for this openness and this exceptional opportunity for an open work permit, with no other condition than being Ukrainian.