+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is an Audit Associate, an audit clerk or a financial auditor? (NOC)

RedPhoenix

Oct 22, 2016
Hello,

I have a question about the NOC codes.

My question is whether working in a big four accounting company as an "audit associate" for would fall under the NOC code 1431 (Accounting and related clerks) [Skill category - C] under the job title of an "audit clerk"/"auditing clerk" or whether this will fall under the NOC code 1111 (Financial auditors and accountants) [Skill category - A] under the job title of a "financial auditor"?

My main duties are better described in the NOC code 1111, since I examine financial data and internal controls, but I am not sure whether I meet the employment requirements since they require "CGA" (Certified General Accountants certificate) or some similar licensing certificate but I only have a university degree. (In Lithuania the licensing requirements are different from Canada)

Plus, there is a requirement of "some experience as an accountant" for auditors but it is not clear whether it only requires proper work experience as an accountant or would a university course/training by the employer suffice.

But on the other hand, the general description of the NOC code states that "Articling students in accounting firms are included in this unit group", would this description overrule the employment requirements part? Since I am an apprentice in a professional accountancy firm.

Any help will be truly appreciated!

Rocky127

May 18, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your job responsibilities match up with Financial auditor 1111 , then I don't see why you can't choose it.

Most of the Big 4 Audit associates are from NOC 1111

sharmapushp94

Oct 9, 2017
Hello,

I have a question about the NOC codes.

My question is whether working in a big four accounting company as an "audit associate" for would fall under the NOC code 1431 (Accounting and related clerks) [Skill category - C] under the job title of an "audit clerk"/"auditing clerk" or whether this will fall under the NOC code 1111 (Financial auditors and accountants) [Skill category - A] under the job title of a "financial auditor"?

My main duties are better described in the NOC code 1111, since I examine financial data and internal controls, but I am not sure whether I meet the employment requirements since they require "CGA" (Certified General Accountants certificate) or some similar licensing certificate but I only have a university degree. (In Lithuania the licensing requirements are different from Canada)

Plus, there is a requirement of "some experience as an accountant" for auditors but it is not clear whether it only requires proper work experience as an accountant or would a university course/training by the employer suffice.

But on the other hand, the general description of the NOC code states that "Articling students in accounting firms are included in this unit group", would this description overrule the employment requirements part? Since I am an apprentice in a professional accountancy firm.

Any help will be truly appreciated!
Hey, I just wanted to know what NOC level were you able to apply for as I am also working as an Audit Associate and I am not really sure what NOC level to apply under so if you could provide me some information that would be of great help.

Thanks

Shubie

Sep 7, 2018
Hi, I have the exact same question. It will be a great help if anyone could answer. Which NOC code did you guys finally use for the application?

I will be very grateful for your help

sharmapushp94

Oct 9, 2017
Hi, I have the exact same question. It will be a great help if anyone could answer. Which NOC code did you guys finally use for the application?

I will be very grateful for your help
Hi Shubhie,

If you are working for a big four. I was able to apply under NOC A and I got my PR because alot of my job duties matched that with NOC A. As for the education criteria I did a 3 year diploma which for CIC purposes gives you same points as an undergraduate.

I hope this helps you.

Reactions: Shubie

Shubie

Sep 7, 2018
Hi Shubhie,

If you are working for a big four. I was able to apply under NOC A and I got my PR because alot of my job duties matched that with NOC A. As for the education criteria I did a 3 year diploma which for CIC purposes gives you same points as an undergraduate.

I hope this helps you.
Thank you for your answer :). It really helps a lot. I am also starting work for Big 4 and was thinking of applying through Ontario PNP- Employer Job offer- International student stream as then I won’t have to wait 1 year. Do you think that company is supportive?

lone_ranger

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hi Shubhie,

I hope this helps you.
hey guys, I hope you all are fine
I am also facing the same issue. I have completed my articles (3.5 years - starting from audit associate till senior audit associate) from big 4. As per my understanding, I fall under NOC 1111. is my understanding correct?

Moreover, my articles were pre-qualification one. Is it acceptable even in that case.

Because if you lead statement of NOC 1111 as per cic website, it states

"
Lead statement
Financial auditors examine and analyze the accounting and financial records of individuals and establishments to ensure accuracy and compliance with established accounting standards and procedures. Accountants plan, organize and administer accounting systems for individuals and establishments. Financial auditors and accountants are employed by private sector accounting and auditing firms or departments and public sector accounting and auditing departments or units, or they may be self-employed. Articling students in accounting firms are included in this unit group."

Please advise.

kaushalyap

Star Member
Dec 23, 2016
hey guys, I hope you all are fine
I am also facing the same issue. I have completed my articles (3.5 years - starting from audit associate till senior audit associate) from big 4. As per my understanding, I fall under NOC 1111. is my understanding correct?

Moreover, my articles were pre-qualification one. Is it acceptable even in that case.

Because if you lead statement of NOC 1111 as per cic website, it states

"
Lead statement
Financial auditors examine and analyze the accounting and financial records of individuals and establishments to ensure accuracy and compliance with established accounting standards and procedures. Accountants plan, organize and administer accounting systems for individuals and establishments. Financial auditors and accountants are employed by private sector accounting and auditing firms or departments and public sector accounting and auditing departments or units, or they may be self-employed. Articling students in accounting firms are included in this unit group."

Please advise.
Hi, yes you are good to got. This was the same scenario with me and I'm here in Canada now.

Tuyam

Jan 16, 2019
Is it necessary to satisfy the requirements of both Audit and Accounting to apply under NOC 1111
I have work experience which is just purely Audit and not accounting
Need an immediate response from someone who knows about this for sure
Thanks!

sharmapushp94

Oct 9, 2017
Is it necessary to satisfy the requirements of both Audit and Accounting to apply under NOC 1111
I have work experience which is just purely Audit and not accounting
Need an immediate response from someone who knows about this for sure
Thanks!
As long as your job requirements match just having audit experience won’t be an issue. Also most of the job duties under NOC 1111 are related to audit.

EESK

Oct 24, 2017
Dear all,
I have a similar query

Please if anyone could help clarify:

I got my ACCA membership certificate in 2015 but I have been in an audit firm since 2008 as full time employee(not as a trainee) without any professional qualification, will my work experience be counted from 2008 or when I got my ACCA membership i.e. from 2015?

The date of certification on my WES report is also 2015 for ACCA membership.

I would really appreciate your response.

Thanks