+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a seperate letter regarding plans for a Canadian Life okay?

Meiji17

Oct 21, 2019
Hi all!

I am so grateful to have this forum as a resource. I am working my way through the visa process for my Husband to come back to Canada with me. I am coming to the end of writing the relationship outline, and realizing I have many details I want to include regarding our plans upon returning to Canada that will take up much more than a paragraph towards the end. Would it be a nuisance to write as separate letter detailing these plans? Or should I wrap it up nicely within the relationship letter? I plan on having printout of emails and proof of planning a life with my husband in Canada.

Thanks so much
~Meiji

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all!

I am so grateful to have this forum as a resource. I am working my way through the visa process for my Husband to come back to Canada with me. I am coming to the end of writing the relationship outline, and realizing I have many details I want to include regarding our plans upon returning to Canada that will take up much more than a paragraph towards the end. Would it be a nuisance to write as separate letter detailing these plans? Or should I wrap it up nicely within the relationship letter? I plan on having printout of emails and proof of planning a life with my husband in Canada.

Thanks so much
~Meiji
Are you a citizen residing abroad?

If not, you'll have to apply from within Canada.

If so, read the instructions carefully - you'll need to provide some information on your intent to return to Canada - that would include these plans.

If you just mean as a general thing - follow the instructions. Don't write a Russian novel, short concise information on your relationship and plans is appropriate.

Reactions: Meiji17

Meiji17

Oct 21, 2019
Are you a citizen residing abroad?

If not, you'll have to apply from within Canada.

If so, read the instructions carefully - you'll need to provide some information on your intent to return to Canada - that would include these plans.

If you just mean as a general thing - follow the instructions. Don't write a Russian novel, short concise information on your relationship and plans is appropriate.
Thanks! I am a citizen abroad, and can be a bit wordy with writing. I am doing my best to keep it short but sweet. I will just keep it to one letter.

Huntingwhale

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
I wrote our plans to return to Canada as a separate letter. We recently got approved for PR. In our case, it certainly didn't hurt to have those details in a separate letter. Obviously as mentioned, you don't need to write a novel. But if you want to include additional details that you think would help your case, there is no harm in doing so. Just my own personal experience.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks! I am a citizen abroad, and can be a bit wordy with writing. I am doing my best to keep it short but sweet. I will just keep it to one letter.
If you're a citizen abroad a separate letter specifically about plans to return is, I think, a good idea.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
We did it as one combined letter but with bolded headings for each thing that needed to be covered. We did have additional documents to support the return to Canada plan like a spreadsheet of my husband's (the citizen's) many job applications and the status of each one (called for a phone interview, took exam, never heard back etc).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We did it as one combined letter but with bolded headings for each thing that needed to be covered.
Yes, don't think it matters whether it's a physically separate document or a clearly separated section and clearly specifies it's about the plans/intent to return to Canada.

I did it separate so I could keep in order and group the bits like this with the related documents.

But whatever works; I suspect any simple organisational schema is helpful to make it easier for them.

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
We did it as one combined letter but with bolded headings for each thing that needed to be covered. We did have additional documents to support the return to Canada plan like a spreadsheet of my husband's (the citizen's) many job applications and the status of each one (called for a phone interview, took exam, never heard back etc).
This is what I did as well, included the job search items as well as the name of a local employment place that i was doing video chats with to help me with my resume etc. I wrote about it in a our letter and included copies of my emails from them acknowledging the application etc.

twinmama15

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
I’m in Australia with my husband so I did a short seperate letter,I’m the sponsor and he is the PA. It’s more important to show you plan to move there permanently so providing proof of where you will live, we added everything including contacting gymnastics for our girls, schools, neighbourhoods, my husband contacted employment agencies etc. just everything you can think of to move back to Canada put in the application. Writing the details in a letter are plans but actually researching and providing evidence is what they want to see Best of luck to you :D

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Yes, don't think it matters whether it's a physically separate document or a clearly separated section and clearly specifies it's about the plans/intent to return to Canada.

I did it separate so I could keep in order and group the bits like this with the related documents.

But whatever works; I suspect any simple organisational schema is helpful to make it easier for them.
My feeling is that IRCC can and does have very specific guidelines for certain things so in the case of something like this where they basically say "outline your plans" so long as it's easily identifiable as that, they must not care too much. After all they could have specific requirements for the format of this particular thing too.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My feeling is that IRCC can and does have very specific guidelines for certain things so in the case of something like this where they basically say "outline your plans" so long as it's easily identifiable as that, they must not care too much. After all they could have specific requirements for the format of this particular thing too.
They seem to be asking most aponsors to provide more detail and evidwne now. So more evidence, and not just an ok plan.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
They seem to be asking most aponsors to provide more detail and evidwne now. So more evidence, and not just an ok plan.
Yes of course. I meant that they don't have a specific format for the letter or requirements about a combined letter or separate letters etc so people shouldn't stress about the format and instead be sure to provide as much evidence as possible

twinmama15

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Yes of course. I meant that they don't have a specific format for the letter or requirements about a combined letter or separate letters etc so people shouldn't stress about the format and instead be sure to provide as much evidence as possible
I agree I think spending time on the evidence to reside permanently is more important then the letter of general plans