+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a police certificate issued 3 months before I left the last country I stayed valid for EE?

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
The EE document list says:
  • For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the police certificate must have been issued after the last time the applicant stayed in that country for 6 months or more in a row.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s03

Please notice the highlighted "after". It seems that applicants have to return to the last country they used to stay just for a police certificate, which is not very reasonable.
I have a police certificate issued 3 months before I left the last country I stayed for more than 6 months, aka, I left in April and the certificate was issued in Jan.
It is not "after", so I am wondering is it possible that this certificate is valid for EE application so that I don't need to fly back to that country just for a certificate?

Thanks!

Last edited:

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"It is not "after", so I am wondering is it possible that this certificate is valid for EE application so that I don't need to fly back to that country just for a certificate?"
It depends on how long ago the certificate was issued. They normally have a shelf life of 6 months to a year.
"so that I don't need to fly back to that country just for a certificate?"
That's not necessary in the majority of cases, but if you're not one of the lucky ones - commiserations.

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
"It is not "after", so I am wondering is it possible that this certificate is valid for EE application so that I don't need to fly back to that country just for a certificate?"
It depends on how long ago the certificate was issued. They normally have a shelf life of 6 months to a year.
"so that I don't need to fly back to that country just for a certificate?"
That's not necessary in the majority of cases, but if you're not one of the lucky ones - commiserations.
Thanks for the reply.
The certificate was issued about 3 years ago, but only 3 months after it was issued, I came to Canada and haven't left so far.
So... IMO, the certificate covers the whole period I spent in my home country since I was borned, and for the period I have spent in Canada, no certificate is required, and there is only a gap of 3 months between these 2 periods, which is shorter than the 6 months listed in the EE requirements.
Do you think this certificate is expired or not?
Thanks!

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
Hi guys. Could more people provide insights on this questions please?

I believe it is not answered. Previous posts say it was expired, but I was asking if it is VALID for EE application, not if it is EXPIRED.
It has to be valid first then we can discuss if it is expired. They are 2 different concepts.
And BTW, the certificate doesn't have an expriration date at all. It is valid forever, I just don't know if it is valid in EE application.
Thanks in advance!

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You have to get the certificate AFTER you have left the country following your stay of more than 6 months in a row. IMO, your PCC is not valid for your EE application.

Rather get a new one. I have read on here about people who were rejected because they got the PCC mere 24 hours before they exited the country.

mrsamcan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Hi guys. Could more people provide insights on this questions please?

I believe it is not answered. Previous posts say it was expired, but I was asking if it is VALID for EE application, not if it is EXPIRED.
It has to be valid first then we can discuss if it is expired. They are 2 different concepts.
And BTW, the certificate doesn't have an expriration date at all. It is valid forever, I just don't know if it is valid in EE application.
Thanks in advance!
Your current certificate is expired, cannot be used for EE, Expired PCC is the major reason for PR application rejection. get new certificate.

Also, Get certificate without visiting that country. If that is not your country of residence. if you get certificate by visiting the country even that is invalid as it will not cover your entire stay. So, you have to apply for it outside that country.

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Certificate is expired, cannot be used for EE, Expired PCC is the major reason for PR application rejection. get new certificate.
If he got it AFTER he left that country, it will still be considered as valid and not expired by IRCC for the purpose of PR, provided he hasn't returned there and spent 6 months or more in a row.

The problem here is that they got it before they left the country.

Reactions: mrsamcan

mrsamcan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
If he got it AFTER he left that country, it will still be considered as valid and not expired by IRCC for the purpose of PR, provided he hasn't returned there and spent 6 months or more in a row.

The problem here is that they got it before they left the country.
Correct :) I edited the post .