+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Irish citizen wishing to work in Canada for at least two years

portbar

Jan 14, 2008
I am an Irish citizen, Degree Qualified Manufacturing Engineering with 10 years industrial experience, 3 years of which as Project Director and have decided to work in Canada for at least 2 years.

I have applied for a management vacancy within a Canadian based energy company and when I followed up the application was asked many questions, one of which was regarding Visa Status.

I have reviewed the Canadian Visa system applicable to my situation and conclude as follows.

With the objective of working in Canada within the next two months my best approach is to apply for a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa through Form IMM5257 and renew every 6 months.

This form requires a letter from my current employer and I am wondering if I am taking the correct approach.

Can some one please confirm if my approach is correct

Thank you in advance

ROB

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
As a UK citizen, you don't need a visa to go to Canada for up to 6 months. However, that will not allow you to work. You need a work permit. And for that, you need a job offer.

With your experience and degree, you could find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work permit. But it won't be easy. Employers usually have to obtain a positive LMO (labour market opinion) before hiring you. That takes time, and it's no doubt the reason why they asked for your visa status.

In short, you don't need the Temporary Resident Visa. And even if you had one, it wouldn't allow you to work. You need to find an employer willing to offer you a job and obtain an LMO on your behalf.

portbar

Jan 14, 2008
Thaiguy, thank you for your response, it is much appreciated.

You have given me much food for thought.

Obtaining a work permit in Canada is much more difficult than I was led to believe.

An option open to me is intercompany transfer.

What are the work permit requirements on the employee and employers side if I was to transfer internally within a company from the EU to Canada.

Thanking you in advance.

ROB

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I believe the work permit requirements are the same. However, with a multinational company, it is much more likely that they will be able to obtain the labour market opinion for you. Large companies often have very specific skillset requirements and therefore would more easily make the case that the local labour market was inadequate.

Having worked for a few large organizations, I know that if they want you badly enough for a position, they'll find a way to make it happen.

So if an intercompany transfer is an option, you should definitely pursue it.