+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC told me they don't provide forms in an accessible format (?)

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
I'm trying to get all the forms I need to apply to sponsor my spouse, but the forms on the IRCC website are in a special PDF format that requires adobe software which is only available on Windows, Mac, and Android. It is not available for iPad, Linux, etc

Since I don't have a pc/mac/android, I cannot even view these forms, let alone print them.

I also have a cognitive disability that makes reading on an electronic screen very tiring on me. It has taken me months just to do the research and reading to understand what I now know (or think I know) about the process, but I still feel unsure about some things.

Anyway, today I called IRCC and told them I'm trying to obtain forms / sponsorship application package. He told me I have to apply online; I told him I can't even view the forms and that I only have an iPad. He offered to email me 'instructions to help' but I told him the adobe software simply isn't available for my device. He didn't understand.

He kept telling me I need to 'show some initiative' and 'get a friend or family with a computer to help you.' I don't have any friends. The library, which just reopened after covid, has a new policy that they won't go within 6 feet of you even to help on the computer.

I kept asserting that as a disabled person, I need the forms in a different format. He flat out said "no, we don't offer them at all, except what's already on the IRCC website to download." I asked what would happen if I was blind - don't you have braille copies? He said no. (which, honestly, I thought is illegal??) I remember when cell carriers started charging for paper billing and that got shot down by the goverment. But the same goverment, the current federal one, which told carriers they must provide different formats, doesn't apply the same disability rights to themselves?

I'm at a complete loss. I don't know what the next step is. I know there's a lot of forms I have to fill out but I also know that my case is not a a complicated one.

Is paying an immigration lawyer the only option to me as a disabled person? I can't believe this is happening... I feel discriminated against because of my disability. All I wanted was some forms or a package of forms. I can even pay someone to print and mail it to me.

But if there is no way to 'purchase' a package of the paper forms which I need--for my fairly straight forward application package--should I just start saving up for a full on representative (I think that's the term) to do the whole thing for me?

Teepayne

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
I'm trying to get all the forms I need to apply to sponsor my spouse, but the forms on the IRCC website are in a special PDF format that requires adobe software which is only available on Windows, Mac, and Android. It is not available for iPad, Linux, etc

Since I don't have a pc/mac/android, I cannot even view these forms, let alone print them.

I also have a cognitive disability that makes reading on an electronic screen very tiring on me. It has taken me months just to do the research and reading to understand what I now know (or think I know) about the process, but I still feel unsure about some things.

Anyway, today I called IRCC and told them I'm trying to obtain forms / sponsorship application package. He told me I have to apply online; I told him I can't even view the forms and that I only have an iPad. He offered to email me 'instructions to help' but I told him the adobe software simply isn't available for my device. He didn't understand.

He kept telling me I need to 'show some initiative' and 'get a friend or family with a computer to help you.' I don't have any friends. The library, which just reopened after covid, has a new policy that they won't go within 6 feet of you even to help on the computer.

I kept asserting that as a disabled person, I need the forms in a different format. He flat out said "no, we don't offer them at all, except what's already on the IRCC website to download." I asked what would happen if I was blind - don't you have braille copies? He said no. (which, honestly, I thought is illegal??) I remember when cell carriers started charging for paper billing and that got shot down by the goverment. But the same goverment, the current federal one, which told carriers they must provide different formats, doesn't apply the same disability rights to themselves?

I'm at a complete loss. I don't know what the next step is. I know there's a lot of forms I have to fill out but I also know that my case is not a a complicated one.

Is paying an immigration lawyer the only option to me as a disabled person? I can't believe this is happening... I feel discriminated against because of my disability. All I wanted was some forms or a package of forms. I can even pay someone to print and mail it to me.

But if there is no way to 'purchase' a package of the paper forms which I need--for my fairly straight forward application package--should I just start saving up for a full on representative (I think that's the term) to do the whole thing for me?
I am sorry you have this added stress on you. I could not read and let it pass by without responding. First, I had trouble with the forms too but when they said they couldn't be downloaded, I saved them to my desk top and when I clicked on them from the desk top/main screen and they opened. In am not techy at all, would this be possible? Also, both my sons have learning disabilities in writing and comprehension and have told my husband, I hope they never have to go through this archaic process like us one day because they would never get through the damn paperwork!

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
I saved them to my desktop and clicked on them from the desktop/main screen
Yes that's what I did. The message popped up in Adobe Reader which says "this form requires Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for Mac or Windows."

I'm really angry at the government for not making an accessible version of their forms.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada

It's horrible that this happens. You should contact your Member of Parliament for assistance.

If you can get the files printed onto paper you are allowed to submit them handwritten given that you have an access issue to the electronic forms. However, you do need to download them and print them.

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
You should contact your Member of Parliament for assistance.
You're right, and I just did. I called and left a voicemail telling them I have a disability and that I've already called IRCC immigration and how they told me they wouldn't accommodate me even with my disability. I stressed that I'm in his riding / city and that I hope his office can help because I have no other option.

I've never done that before. I hope I get a call back.

However, you do need to download them and print them.
I wonder: is there no alternative for someone who is a low-income person, disabled, and bad with computers? I'm good with computers (but still low income and disabled) and even I feel at a loss here.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You're right, and I just did. I called and left a voicemail telling them I have a disability and that I've already called IRCC immigration and how they told me they wouldn't accommodate me even with my disability. I stressed that I'm in his riding / city and that I hope his office can help because I have no other option.

I've never done that before. I hope I get a call back.

I wonder: is there no alternative for someone who is a low-income person, disabled, and bad with computers? I'm good with computers (but still low income and disabled) and even I feel at a loss here.
For your second question - I think the only alternative is to print the forms out at a library and hand-fill them, or maybe find some support through disability service organizaitons. It's a massive gap.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I strongly recommend finding or hiring someone who can work with the electronic versions. It is far more painful to update these without being able to edit. You will end up redoing many times. No-one ever gets it all correct the first time trying to fill them out. And parts are tedious and repetitive.

I know this is not the ideal answer and they should have a better solution. But this is the most pragmatic approach right now, I think.

In terms of the level of difficulty and work (and hence cost), it is only slightly above data entry complexity. A high school student could do it easily, for an admin assistant simple. And most of this could be done online, perhaps after an initial handfilled version passed.

You may be able to find some assistance at libraires, churches, volunteer groups, etc. All one needs is a computer and printer.

Reactions: k.h.p. and jackhcd

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
So when I go here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

And select "spouse" and then put in the country my spouse is from, it lists this:

for me to do:
for spouse to do:

and at the bottom is says "no extra forms for this country"

So if we're doing outland sponsorship, does that mean I print 3 forms, following the guide, and my spouse prints 5 forms and has to submit them from outside Canada? because it said we need to submit them at the same time... but that doesn't mean from the same place (I assume? because how could an outland sponsor application work otherwise)

edit: also, if we don't use a representative, do we each still have to print that form (twice; once for each of us?)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So when I go here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

And select "spouse" and then put in the country my spouse is from, it lists this:

for me to do:
for spouse to do:

and at the bottom is says "no extra forms for this country"

So if we're doing outland sponsorship, does that mean I print 3 forms, following the guide, and my spouse prints 5 forms and has to submit them from outside Canada? because it said we need to submit them at the same time... but that doesn't mean from the same place (I assume? because how could an outland sponsor application work otherwise)

edit: also, if we don't use a representative, do we each still have to print that form (twice; once for each of us?)
In practice the who submits of the forms means who signs. Either one of you can prepare all or split however you like. Final signatures in ink, use mail. Electronic versions back and forth to check amd revise. Submit a single complete package with all, posted from wherever is most convenient for you.

mdmqbck

Jul 26, 2020
Indeed, it's a really bad policy what they have in place. Everything could just be regular online forms to be filled in the browser, saved in your online IRCC account, and with a big button to produce PDF files for final printing and mailing. I don't get what they get in exchange of making the forms fillable only with the product of a private US company that only works in some platforms.

Reactions: neuroCanadian

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I strongly recommend finding or hiring someone who can work with the electronic versions.
And most of this could be done online, perhaps after an initial handfilled version passed.
A quick question - is your spouse able to do the forms, i.e. has a computer to work on? Preparing the forms can be done by either spouse (I did all of ours).

And for clarity when I said most of this could be done 'online', I meant you don't need to be in the same physical location as whoever prepares, i.e. email or skype or whatever to make changes as needed and exchange updated versions.

I think on your ipad you should be able to open the files to check them, or print and check by hand. I recall there are some slight oddities about how adobe acrobat works, but there is I think some way to print to pdf to save a completed version for review. (Or open in acrobat reader)

You may have to find someone to print the final versions just before signing as it generates barcodes, but a copy shop should be able to do that.