+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC Scarborough Applicants - Online Test/Interview/DM/Oath

figsalad

Oct 20, 2021
Yeah possible, a small percentage of people in any role make up their own rules as an outlet for their own prejudices. Happens in all scenarios. I've read here before a border agent was not happy during a PR landing when he learnt the new PR is going to work as an employee. The agent's preference would be for PRs to start new businesses instead and not "take" Canadian jobs. This is while the federal government's policy was to give more points to Canadian job offers.

People make up stuff all the time - everyone from the guard who triages applicants outside the passport office to citizenship officers.

Heck, people on this forum who are entirely powerless to influence others' life (and apparently even their own), they even write posts in a way to influence people to bend to their own preference like not working outside Canada. Those are people who are typically jealous, stuck in a old school job and not malleable to the realities of the modern technology and trying to prevent others from leading a prosperous and fulfilling life. If that's the case you can imagine why some citizenship officers - who have at least some power - will behave.

Even more prominent example is the systematic issues within IRCC itself on race and country-based bias. There were news articles about that. There are very less things frowned upon in the society than these biases. But it's very difficult to get rid of those things entirely as long as humans are involved in a discretionary decision making process.

All these people think the high level policy makers running this country are not smart and they have to take up things on their own hands. These people cannot think longer term. They can't see people working outside bringing money/expertise back later on in their life or establishing a relationship with their foreign employer and moving back etc.

The remedy to these biases is internal supervisory controls within IRCC, to utilize other means such as going through an MP, filing requests and web forms, and in extreme scenarios - filing Mandamus.

If I were in a scenario like yours I wouldn't talk about job market or high level stuff at all. I'd just say I couldn't find the opportunity that uses my skillset and I took the one that allowed me to do that. That's all.

Fortunately the number of these people is small. And there are sufficient processes in place. For example that border agent couldn't refuse entry because the PR had all the papers. Even that other person who was refused a passport because he used four references instead of a guarantor, I believe Passport Canada issued the passport after complaining and initiated an inquiry on the original officer. Same way I think they cannot be holding your application forever.

I would do these:
1. Write to the office (not the officer) a polite email in a week or 10 days providing you dates and you're waiting for xxx time and saying you would appreciate any update. This is to possibly get a second pair of eyes to review your application.

2. If you don't get a response then, file for GCMS.

If nothing happens, I think you can try Mandamus.

Hopefully yours will get resolved soon and don't have to take that route.

Thanks for your answer. This makes entire sense and I suspect this is what happened. I have all my investments here and even have started a company here--I work in tech so it`s easy to do these things even as you work abroad. Heck, I`m bringing foreign money to this country by working outside but investing here! These small minded people don`t seem to understand anything...

The web portal just got updated again today with only physical presence marked as in progress. I suspect she`s delaying me to `review` my physical presence one last time. As if they have to wait 3 and a half years to look at physical presence and make sure it`s in order. I doubt I`d have gotten this far in the process without someone reviewing my physical presence already. Frankly, I`ve reviewed it again on my end using my passports and I even gain days on one or two entries/exits I misfiled. She's just wasting my time at this point...

In all honesty I'd love to put in a complaint for how she treated me. Do you know if that's feasible? How?

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for your answer. This makes entire sense and I suspect this is what happened. I have all my investments here and even have started a company here--I work in tech so it`s easy to do these things even as you work abroad. Heck, I`m bringing foreign money to this country by working outside but investing here! These small minded people don`t seem to understand anything...

The web portal just got updated again today with only physical presence marked as in progress. I suspect she`s delaying me to `review` my physical presence one last time. As if they have to wait 3 and a half years to look at physical presence and make sure it`s in order. I doubt I`d have gotten this far in the process without someone reviewing my physical presence already. Frankly, I`ve reviewed it again on my end using my passports and I even gain days on one or two entries/exits I misfiled. She's just wasting my time at this point...

In all honesty I'd love to put in a complaint for how she treated me. Do you know if that's feasible? How?
Let it go ! Get your citizenship, passport done and spend your energy on things you dream and love about. It is always difficult to change people's way of thinking and best is to ignore and do what you do best.

Reactions: figsalad and Mhbij

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
My test was completed on Oct 10th in the tracker. Based on Scarborough office's timeline, when can I expect oath?
in 1 day to 6 weeks

Also, a friend told me that this office is the slowest. Is this true?
No. All offices are slow these days, but Scarborough is among the least slow. The slowest is Ottawa. Montreal might be as slow. Mississauga, MB SK, and Calgary might be next.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013

It really depends. Are you prepared to deal with the new twist it may cause in your application?? It could be positive or somewhat negative.
Negative means delays while positive means faster oath/done….

Perhaps writing to the Minister’s office or to the Director/Manager of Citizenship Operations at the office where your file is at, or such designation so it reaches above the processing staff…….indicate all your roots here as well as bringing that miney INTO canada etc…..takes time to write/edit such letter but it can probably get things moving faster
Also indicate their behaviour in the interview as well as u described here

or perhaps wait it out and contact them in 1-2 weeks indicating how long its been since u applied etc
Emailing them nicely asking for rough estimate for oath, etc

Reactions: figsalad

DD4Canada

Aug 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-5-2010
Doc's Request.
03-11-2010
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting

DD4Canada

Aug 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-5-2010
Doc's Request.
03-11-2010
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
For online oath ceremony's do they ask you to cut your PR card on the video call? or send it back to IRCC office?

Rz21

Oct 19, 2022
Did anyone have an inperson oath ceremony at Scarborough or any other GTA office? If yes, let me know if you receive the citizenship certificate the same day as the ceremony in person?

sahilsid

May 16, 2016
Did anyone have an inperson oath ceremony at Scarborough or any other GTA office? If yes, let me know if you receive the citizenship certificate the same day as the ceremony in person?
Yes I went there today for my family's ceremony and the certificate was awarded there itself.

Reactions: bellaluna

brave heart 100

May 9, 2018
Hi, how long it takes for (test complete) to appear on the system when you finish the test? then how long for a decision? and oath?in Scarborough

Last edited:

hastur

Aug 22, 2017
Just received the ceremony email for Nov.3rd and it is on Zoom. Too bad it's not in-person - I was hoping for it so that I can get the certificate right away.

Oath Ceremony Letter: October 21, 2022 (virtual)

Reactions: Toronto1971