Scheduled for citizenship test: Mar 11, 2022
Citizenship test completed: Mar 28, 2022
Background verification completed: Jun 23, 2022

Ghost update without any changes in status: Oct 7, 2022

Status as of today:
Citizenship test and Background verification: Completed
Language skills, Physical presence and Prohibitions: In progress
Citizenship ceremony: Not started

My local MP's office reached out to IRCC regarding my application (up on my request) and IRCC said my application is completed at their end and I should be hearing from Scarborough Oath office next (Oath or Interview). IRCC could not provide a time line on when Scarborough office will contact me.

I have couple of questions. I hope somebody can answer.

1) Do you guys think I may have to submit finger prints the third time since the second finger prints expired on Sep 12, 2022? Point to note is background verification is completed.
2) Is there any particular reason for Ghost update? Does it mean I will hear back soon from Scarborough office regarding Interview/Ceremony?
3) How can I reach out to IRCC on phone regarding update? Is there a way to speak to an agent who can answer our questions? I have been using the webform to contact IRCC but always received generic response without any specific information regarding my application.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
Do not want to demotivate you but finger print can be requested again. I am March-2019 Applicant and had interview in September. During interview I was told that I have to provide finger prints again and it is 3rd time for me. They modified to Language skills, Physical presence to completed but background check modified back to in-progress.

Reactions: mat_fm

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
IRCC website, …..Track your citizenship application status……is not working, can’t open the page. Did you notice that problem?
last week was ok

Gondal27

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
My question is as we are outside Canada. While taking oath I will be in Canada. I have also 10 years daughter. She is not required for oath under the law as she is less than 14 years old. If she does not come while I am taking oath in Canada. Is there any issue for her. Her citizenship certificate will be given to me or they can deny her certificate as she is not in Canada?
Response is appreciated.

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
IRCC website, …..Track your citizenship application status……is not working, can’t open the page. Did you notice that problem?
last week was ok
You need to reset your password as they have recently upgraded their website. And in order to login you must reset it. I think they have also added a small note saying this on the page.

somak2001

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
My test was completed on Oct 10th in the tracker. Based on Scarborough office's timeline, when can I expect oath?

Also, a friend told me that this office is the slowest. Is this true?

figsalad

Oct 20, 2021
Hi all,

I'm a June 2019 applicant and finally things started moving this year after putting in an urgent processing request in January. But something very odd happened today:

I had my citizenship interview last Friday and the agent gave me trouble for working outside of Canada. I politely tried to convey that I don't control the job market (I'm in a very international field and I took the best offer I got) but I'm actively trying to get back here, as I have wife and children + extended family here. Anyways, she tells me she can't give me the ceremony today as she has to wait for my security II clearance to come through as it had expired and that she has to review my days to make sure all's in order--she has to order my entires and exits from CBSA. I was bummed, especially because she was aggressive with me and I've been waiting 3+ years at this point, but went home with it.

The next day the system is updated and shows background verification completed, with only physical presence, language skills, and prohibitions pending. I call the following Monday (today) and the agent on the phone tells me that from her side, all's marked as completed except the citizenship ceremony. EVERYTHING. Physical presence, prohibitions, language skills, etc.

I'm now wondering: did the officer give me false info about having to wait for my Security II and having to order my entries and exits from CBSA to justify not giving me the citizenship ceremony because she took it personally that I'm working outside of Canada? Is that possible? Irony is I'm waiting on the citizenship for several jobs in Canada and I've been here more than 10 years... I hope she didn't make a discriminatory judgement just because, and making me wait more months arbitrarily...

Reactions: SVK21

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hi all,

I'm a June 2019 applicant and finally things started moving this year after putting in an urgent processing request in January. But something very odd happened today:

I had my citizenship interview last Friday and the agent gave me trouble for working outside of Canada. I politely tried to convey that I don't control the job market (I'm in a very international field and I took the best offer I got) but I'm actively trying to get back here, as I have wife and children + extended family here. Anyways, she tells me she can't give me the ceremony today as she has to wait for my security II clearance to come through as it had expired and that she has to review my days to make sure all's in order--she has to order my entires and exits from CBSA. I was bummed, especially because she was aggressive with me and I've been waiting 3+ years at this point, but went home with it.

The next day the system is updated and shows background verification completed, with only physical presence, language skills, and prohibitions pending. I call the following Monday (today) and the agent on the phone tells me that from her side, all's marked as completed except the citizenship ceremony. EVERYTHING. Physical presence, prohibitions, language skills, etc.

I'm now wondering: did the officer give me false info about having to wait for my Security II and having to order my entries and exits from CBSA to justify not giving me the citizenship ceremony because she took it personally that I'm working outside of Canada? Is that possible? Irony is I'm waiting on the citizenship for several jobs in Canada and I've been here more than 10 years... I hope she didn't make a discriminatory judgement just because, and making me wait more months arbitrarily...
Sometimes they try to act tough on applicants, but if you qualify on paper and meet requirements, they can’t really prevent or delay much.
Just ensure you continue to meet eligibility/residency until oath day.
Hopefully you get it soon.

Reactions: becca545

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hi all,

Yeah possible, a small percentage of people in any role make up their own rules as an outlet for their own prejudices. Happens in all scenarios. I've read here before a border agent was not happy during a PR landing when he learnt the new PR is going to work as an employee. The agent's preference would be for PRs to start new businesses instead and not "take" Canadian jobs. This is while the federal government's policy was to give more points to Canadian job offers.

People make up stuff all the time - everyone from the guard who triages applicants outside the passport office to citizenship officers.

Heck, people on this forum who are entirely powerless to influence others' life (and apparently even their own), they even write posts in a way to influence people to bend to their own preference like not working outside Canada. Those are people who are typically jealous, stuck in a old school job and not malleable to the realities of the modern technology and trying to prevent others from leading a prosperous and fulfilling life. If that's the case you can imagine why some citizenship officers - who have at least some power - will behave.

Even more prominent example is the systematic issues within IRCC itself on race and country-based bias. There were news articles about that. There are very less things frowned upon in the society than these biases. But it's very difficult to get rid of those things entirely as long as humans are involved in a discretionary decision making process.

All these people think the high level policy makers running this country are not smart and they have to take up things on their own hands. These people cannot think longer term. They can't see people working outside bringing money/expertise back later on in their life or establishing a relationship with their foreign employer and moving back etc.

The remedy to these biases is internal supervisory controls within IRCC, to utilize other means such as going through an MP, filing requests and web forms, and in extreme scenarios - filing Mandamus.

If I were in a scenario like yours I wouldn't talk about job market or high level stuff at all. I'd just say I couldn't find the opportunity that uses my skillset and I took the one that allowed me to do that. That's all.

Fortunately the number of these people is small. And there are sufficient processes in place. For example that border agent couldn't refuse entry because the PR had all the papers. Even that other person who was refused a passport because he used four references instead of a guarantor, I believe Passport Canada issued the passport after complaining and initiated an inquiry on the original officer. Same way I think they cannot be holding your application forever.

I would do these:
1. Write to the office (not the officer) a polite email in a week or 10 days providing you dates and you're waiting for xxx time and saying you would appreciate any update. This is to possibly get a second pair of eyes to review your application.

2. If you don't get a response then, file for GCMS.

If nothing happens, I think you can try Mandamus.

Hopefully yours will get resolved soon and don't have to take that route.

pal-3

Mar 27, 2013
Completely true!
On September 2022 ( one month ago ) I had my interview and saw generally applicants from 2018-2019, talking interview and Oath ceremony same day. Couldn’t believe how many 2018- 2019 applicants were still expecting their “Decision Made “. So, this kind of procedure is created from IRCC to speed up citizenship process that had been stopped during the Covid-19 pandemic . Good luck to everyone !
Thank you I got the same thing. Same day interview and oath all done in an hour. Finally the wait is over

aakif2013

Jul 20, 2013
I got a ghost update on 7th October, but nothing got updated. Did the exam on 9th June, 2022 and waiting for oath or interview. Can I expect some think soon ?