+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC is asking for a boarding pass

Xavier3000

May 22, 2022
I am waiting for my oath ceremony while being abroad.
IRCC has send me this e mail

Hello,

Thank you for updating us of your arrival back into Canada. Can you please provide us supporting

documentation of your (and your families) arrival back into Canada, such as flight itinerary or a picture

of the boarding pass(es). Once we have that documentation, we will mark you as being available for

ceremony and we will schedule you for your ceremony some time in the future.

Thanks,

IRCC Official AR

, Citizenship
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada / Government of Canada

What do they need it? I would like to fly only for the ceremony? Is there a way go around it?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016

Hello,

Thank you for updating us of your arrival back into Canada. Can you please provide us supporting

documentation of your (and your families) arrival back into Canada, such as flight itinerary or a picture

of the boarding pass(es). Once we have that documentation, we will mark you as being available for

Thanks,

IRCC Official AR

, Citizenship

What do they need it? I would like to fly only for the ceremony? Is there a way go around it?
Hi Xavier

I’m assuming that you informed them that you were already in the country? Hence why they asked for boarding pass or some from of evidence….I’m no expert but I can’t see a way around this.

If they have requested it then you are going to need to provide something, you may also encounter another issue now whereby if you said you were in the country and you were not….hey may query the dates you’ve put down etc because they don’t match.

don’t mean to be negative but yeh tough situation if you’re just planning to fly back for that oath only.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
OP doesn't want to fly into Canada without an oath date, IRCC doesn't want to schedule OP's oath without proof of arrival in Canada.

Agreed, tough situation. I can't blame either party for their position.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
My agent told me I can take oath outside as long as I have doctor's notes. I guess it depends on the office. Which office is yours?

Xavier3000

May 22, 2022
why is the boarding pass so important to them. IRCC is checking with the Air Canada if someone has landed in Canada by PNR number on the ticket?

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
why is the boarding pass so important to them. IRCC is checking with the Air Canada if someone has landed in Canada by PNR number on the ticket?
No, they don't do that. Some offices want applicants to be in Canada to schedule the oath.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
I’m not sure if your current circs, however it’s always the risk that one takes should we want to stay outside of Canada and then only come back for the oath.

OP doesn't want to fly into Canada without an oath date, IRCC doesn't want to schedule OP's oath without proof of arrival in Canada.

Agreed, tough situation. I can't blame either party for their position.
I guess it ultimately depends on the reasoning for wanting to stay out.

honestly can’t see a situation where OP can win unless it’s a medical necessity.

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
Now I am worried.

I am outside Canada and I do plan on flying back as soon as my oath is scheduled and I am notified. However, how do I know that they are not putting me on hold since I told them I am outside of Canada before doing my test?

Scarborough office is processing my application. Should I email them to tell them that I will be flying back to Canada?

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Now I am worried.

I am outside Canada and I do plan on flying back as soon as my oath is scheduled and I am notified. However, how do I know that they are not putting me on hold since I told them I am outside of Canada before doing my test?

Scarborough office is processing my application. Should I email them to tell them that I will be flying back to Canada?
You'll probably get an interview. I told the agent not to put my app on hold during the interview.

Reactions: iceman55

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
You'll probably get an interview. I told the agent not to put my app on hold during the interview.
Thank you Dreamlad, but all I have with me are soft copies of my original documents. All of my original documents are in Canada. How would that go if my interview is conducted while overseas?

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Thank you Dreamlad, but all I have with me are soft copies of my original documents. All of my original documents are in Canada. How would that go if my interview is conducted while overseas?
It's online. During the interview, they check your IDs (passport, driver's license, health card and PR card).

Reactions: UnleashedFX

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Now I am worried.

No personal experience but it seems like they're just following an internal procedure that was probably created when processing times were quicker. For example, if you are on a vacation, they'd wait for you to return to ensure your availability and avoid no-shows just like when you book any appointment.

So, I don't think there's any need to worry. If you let them know you can attend the ceremony at any time of their convenience, a reasonable officer would proceed with the next steps. There might be an additional interview like @Dreamlad says but just make sure your application is moving forward. I believe there's a maximum time an application can be on the hold status (iirc, it's six months) so make sure to respond asap and also ensure they received that response and act on it (whether by calling IRCC or writing to your local office). I also recall a recent post where someone hurriedly returned after receiving a similar email but did not see any movement after returning. But I'd keep close tab to avoid the application being abandoned after reaching the maximum hold period.

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
No personal experience but it seems like they're just following an internal procedure that was probably created when processing times were quicker. For example, if you are on a vacation, they'd wait for you to return to ensure your availability and avoid no-shows just like when you book any appointment.

So, I don't think there's any need to worry. If you let them know you can attend the ceremony at any time of their convenience, a reasonable officer would proceed with the next steps. There might be an additional interview like @Dreamlad says but just make sure your application is moving forward. I believe there's a maximum time an application can be on the hold status (iirc, it's six months) so make sure to respond asap and also ensure they received that response and act on it (whether by calling IRCC or writing to your local office). I also recall a recent post where someone hurriedly returned after receiving a similar email but did not see any movement after returning. But I'd keep close tab to avoid the application being abandoned after reaching the maximum hold period.
Thank you for the reply.

The question is how do they know that you have returned? They ask you if you are outside Canada, but they don’t follow-up to see if you are back and then presumably place your application on hold on their own timeline. Seems a bit odd.

I will probably email the Scarborough office and let them know I plan to return upon request, but I am worried that that may cause other problems. I have to consult an immigration lawyer.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018

Hello,

Thanks,

IRCC Official AR

, Citizenship

can you shed a bit of light on the context?

Did you tell them that you were already in Canada while you were abroad? And they checked to make sure?

I know that in the past IRCC didn't really have access to individuals exit and entry data, but I remember reading somewhere that towards the end of 2019 (2020?) they managed to integrate some of the systems with CBP. I could be remembering wrong though.

If so, unfortunately there is no way around it.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
can you shed a bit of light on the context?

Did you tell them that you were already in Canada while you were abroad? And they checked to make sure?

I know that in the past IRCC didn't really have access to individuals exit and entry data, but I remember reading somewhere that towards the end of 2019 (2020?) they managed to integrate some of the systems with CBP. I could be remembering wrong though.

If so, unfortunately there is no way around it.
Hey mate, there seems to be a typo in your post above, Do you mean CBP or CBSA ?