+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Invitation to Apply but Visa expiring

hopesofcanada

May 5, 2017
Hello!
Looking for advice on my PR process. I have gotten my invitation to apply, and have been working on bringing together all of my documentation, but my student visa is applying in August, and I know PR takes quite a long time to process. I am ineligible to get a bridging work visa.

I believe as I started this process from Canada I am committed to staying in Canada while it all sorts out, but what do I do to avoid staying in the country without status? Or would it be better to reapply for PR from the States once my visa expires and I go back in the summer? All mention I have seen of applying outland has been for spousal sponsorship.

Is it just a matter of getting a visitor's visa once my student status expires?

Any help or advice would be WONDERFUL.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
hopesofcanada said:
Looking for advice on my PR process. I have gotten my invitation to apply, and have been working on bringing together all of my documentation, but my student visa is applying in August, and I know PR takes quite a long time to process. I am ineligible to get a bridging work visa.

Are you currently studying? Are you not eligible for the PGWP?

I believe as I started this process from Canada I am committed to staying in Canada while it all sorts out, but what do I do to avoid staying in the country without status? Or would it be better to reapply for PR from the States once my visa expires and I go back in the summer? All mention I have seen of applying outland has been for spousal sponsorship.

You can submit your PR application while you are here and move / leave the country at any time, there is no requirement to stay in Canada while it is in process. You only need to inform IRCC of your change of address. So there would be no need to submit a second application if you leave Canada.

You can certainly apply to extend your stay as a visitor, but (a) you have to apply before your student status expires, and (b) it is possible for your student status to expire BEFORE the date on your permit, if you are no longer studying.

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
hopesofcanada said:
Hello!

Any help or advice would be WONDERFUL.
You are not necessarily committed to stay in Canada if you started the process of PR from here. Aren't you able to apply for a work permit, since you are a student at the moment?

hopesofcanada

May 5, 2017
Unfortunately I already used my post graduation work permit (after my undergrad), then went back to school and now have enough points to apply for PR, but am no longer eligible for that permit.

Should I have to leave, could you tell me what the best way to inform the IRCC of my address change so my PR application will not be considered abandoned?