+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Introduction to Professional Licensing in Canada with foreign education

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Hello dear members,

I am moving from US to Canada as a PR early next year. I have a Civil Engineering background and I am in my early career (not licensed yet). This profession is regulated in Canada. While I have not secured a job in Canada yet, I am planning to apply to become an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) in some province. From my research on more than half the provincial licensing authorities, I found some differences – some accepts transfer from US EIT to Canadian EIT, some offer free application within 6 months of landing; different processing time and fees, etc.

My Bachelor’s – Non ABET-Accredited
My Master’s – ABET-Accredited

The problem -

I found that some authorities like PEO (Ontario), APEGA (Alberta) deliberately gives a hard time to new immigrants having an undergraduate degree from outside Canada by assigning a lot of “deficit” courses and not recognizing online or distance courses for the same which is a big deal. I am not sure if this has changed now but if possible I would choose not to go back to attend school physically only to fill these deficit courses. Also other services like email support return very generic answers which is not helpful. This list is not exhaustive.

What I need your help with – (especially from people who have gone through the licensing process in Canada with foreign UG degree but anybody who is familiar with the process is welcome)

I would like to know your licensing experience. Also please share if there is something I should know or be aware of before application. This will immensely help me with how to proceed.

My Thoughts –

Apply to become an EIT in a province with less hassle/issues with licensing authorities. If I secure a job in a different province later and it requires me to be a member of that particular provincial licensing authority, it would be easier to just transfer existing EIT membership within Canada instead of starting from scratch.

Any guidance in this matter is highly appreciated.

Beeba

Jun 20, 2019
@cc31 Hello,
Could you please guide me about which Canadian Regulatory body has easier licensing process with foreign undergrad degree? Your input would be much appreciated.