+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra Company Transfer from USA to Canada : Dependent open work permit

Jul 6, 2018
Hi All,

I am moving from USA to canada on intra company transfer to toronto.

1. I would like to know will he essay for my wife to get an IT junior java developer job in Toronto. She is having 2 year experience is India working as a developer.

2. Since am in ICT visa , i will eligible for expert entry system to initiate PR right ? Does i need to inform my employer before starting the process ? will employers raise any concern for raising PR?

Thanks
Abhi

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi All,

I am moving from USA to canada on intra company transfer to toronto.

1. I would like to know will he essay for my wife to get an IT junior java developer job in Toronto. She is having 2 year experience is India working as a developer.

2. Since am in ICT visa , i will eligible for expert entry system to initiate PR right ? Does i need to inform my employer before starting the process ? will employers raise any concern for raising PR?

Thanks
Abhi
Hi Abhi,

- It will require her some time to get settled here and start talking to recruiters/organization to find a suitable. From my experience, recruiters here prefer candidates who have PR or who are citizens, but she can start with some kind of contract job for a year or more....

-ICT visa means you are an LMIA exempted one... In order to claim points such as valid job offer(50 points), Canadian experience(1 yr - 35 points), you will need to wait for 1 year after which you can claim this points. If you are good without them, you can apply as early as possible(in this case you will be under the FSW stream). There are criteria for valid job offer(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=695&top=29) you must read them thoroughly.

-If you are doing it on your own employers should not have an issue, but you will still require them to provide you some documentations such as reference letters, pay stubs etc.

I am sharing the ICT process from my own experience as I am currently here in Canada on a ICT WP

Reactions: anandkakkad

anandkakkad

Dec 25, 2017
Hi Abhi,

- It will require her some time to get settled here and start talking to recruiters/organization to find a suitable. From my experience, recruiters here prefer candidates who have PR or who are citizens, but she can start with some kind of contract job for a year or more....

-ICT visa means you are an LMIA exempted one... In order to claim points such as valid job offer(50 points), Canadian experience(1 yr - 35 points), you will need to wait for 1 year after which you can claim this points. If you are good without them, you can apply as early as possible(in this case you will be under the FSW stream). There are criteria for valid job offer(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=695&top=29) you must read them thoroughly.

-If you are doing it on your own employers should not have an issue, but you will still require them to provide you some documentations such as reference letters, pay stubs etc.

I am sharing the ICT process from my own experience as I am currently here in Canada on a ICT WP

Hi Bimal,

My company and its lawyers are filling for my Intra Company Transfer (ICT) and for the SOWP the lawyer is asking for $500 fees. So, I would like to fill the SOWP application on my own. So, my question is that

1. Can I file the SOWP application on my own even when ICT is being filled by the company lawyers?
2. Are the two applications ICT and SOWP independent of each other?
3. Do I require any information from my ICT application in my SOWP application?
4. Can I file for SOWP application after my ICT has been approved?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi Bimal,

My company and its lawyers are filling for my Intra Company Transfer (ICT) and for the SOWP the lawyer is asking for $500 fees. So, I would like to fill the SOWP application on my own. So, my question is that

1. Can I file the SOWP application on my own even when ICT is being filled by the company lawyers?
2. Are the two applications ICT and SOWP independent of each other?
3. Do I require any information from my ICT application in my SOWP application?
4. Can I file for SOWP application after my ICT has been approved?
- You can file the OPW for your spouse
- They can be independent and can also be filed together...
- I do not know about this tbh...
- Yeah, only thing is that it is going to take additional days once your part ICT WP is over... that's all...

Reactions: anandkakkad

anandkakkad

Dec 25, 2017
- You can file the OPW for your spouse
- They can be independent and can also be filed together...
- I do not know about this tbh...
- Yeah, only thing is that it is going to take additional days once your part ICT WP is over... that's all...
Thanks Bimale for the quick reply. Appreciate it.

Regarding point 1, my follow up question is if the attorney has filed my ICT, how do I file for SOWP on my own, as an independent application/?

Also,my company mentioned that they will be filing for my wife's TRV.. so can I file for SOWP on top of TRV.. or if SOWP is filled TRV is not neede?

Is TRV like H4 visa in USA and SOWP like H4 EAD or their are two diffrent visas?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks Bimale for the quick reply. Appreciate it.

Regarding point 1, my follow up question is if the attorney has filed my ICT, how do I file for SOWP on my own, as an independent application/?

Also,my company mentioned that they will be filing for my wife's TRV.. so can I file for SOWP on top of TRV.. or if SOWP is filled TRV is not neede?

Is TRV like H4 visa in USA and SOWP like H4 EAD or their are two diffrent visas?
- this you can do once you get your ICT approved
- I guess the TRV and SOWP should be linked together... (just my guess I could be wrong)...
Better to go with the company lawyer and get this over in shot

Jul 6, 2018
Hi All,

My Employer filed my ICT work visa and i have seen the submission documents.
I have one question regarding my wife's visa type

The Submission document says "Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) form for my wife". I have uploaded the document for "Open Work Permit visa for my wife" while filing the case. Is Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) means Open Work Permit Visa ? Because am expecting an Open Work Permit Visa for my Wife.

Thanks
Abhi

Njtoon

Sep 2, 2018
Hi All,

My Employer filed my ICT work visa and i have seen the submission documents.
I have one question regarding my wife's visa type

The Submission document says "Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) form for my wife". I have uploaded the document for "Open Work Permit visa for my wife" while filing the case. Is Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) means Open Work Permit Visa ? Because am expecting an Open Work Permit Visa for my Wife.

Thanks
Abhi
From what I understand visitor visa does not mean open work permit. However you can apply for her once your iCT is approved.

Can I ask if your ICT was files in NYC? If yes, can you please share your timelines from date of application to decision to return of passport? Thanks

Jul 6, 2018
Hi

My visa got approved and got my stamped passport as well.

Timeline as follows

Once my employer filed my visa from USA within 2 days it’s got approved

Then with the set of documents I have send my passport to NYC VAC , it took overall 10 days for stamping

Njtoon

Sep 2, 2018
Hi

My visa got approved and got my stamped passport as well.

Timeline as follows

Once my employer filed my visa from USA within 2 days it’s got approved

Then with the set of documents I have send my passport to NYC VAC , it took overall 10 days for stamping
Thank you for replying.

My husband's ICT was applied on 24th of this month, still waiting on decision. The 10 days was from the date of application or after your submission of passport?

We are in kinda tight situation so just hoping that things move fast. Do you know if walking in with passport instead of mailing can save a few days? Also the consulate facebook/Twitter page says they are currently finalizing work permit applications received on 12th sept. Any idea if finalizing includes passport stamping or just decision making?

Sorry for too many questions, thanks again.

Jul 6, 2018
Yes if you are directly going to VAC office you can save couple of days i guess.

Once they confirm they received your passport it will take almost 10 days to get your passport stamped.

Hope@Canada

Oct 1, 2018
Hi everyone. I am very new to this forum Andy my questions may be very basic. My company has recently hired a Canadian attorney to process my ICT to canada. Couple of weeks back they created the employers portal and had dropped my application. Not sure what exactly the process is. Can someone if possible share the procedure and timelines please. If it’s already available can you please help with the link. CIC website says the processing time is 2 weeks to receive letter of invitation.

Hope@Canada

Oct 1, 2018
Thank you for replying.

My husband's ICT was applied on 24th of this month, still waiting on decision. The 10 days was from the date of application or after your submission of passport?

We are in kinda tight situation so just hoping that things move fast. Do you know if walking in with passport instead of mailing can save a few days? Also the consulate facebook/Twitter page says they are currently finalizing work permit applications received on 12th sept. Any idea if finalizing includes passport stamping or just decision making?

Sorry for too many questions, thanks again.
Hi, can u let me know what time it took for you to get job offer no from IRCC

Hope@Canada

Oct 1, 2018
Hi. I have gone through various threads and saw that the process for Intra Company Transfer from USA to CANADA was in bits and pieces. I would request you guys help document here so that it's clear for someone who is really in need of it like me.

The process i know:
Step 1: Create employer portal and generate job offer no.
Step 2: use job offer no to apply for ICT with IRCC (Noth offline & Online are available)
Step 3: Will receive Letter of Invitation
Step 4: Send Documents and get the visa.

I am not sure regarding the steps here. This is something that i researched. Can you please let me know what timelines are involved and whether the steps are correct.

Time to generate the job offer no.
Time from applying to getting letter of invitation
Time from Letter of invitation to Visa.

Thanks a lot in advance