+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Int'l Student Road to CoPR - My Story

expressentrant

Star Member
Jun 12, 2015
I just got my passport back last night with CoPR after being in Canada for 9 years.

Canadian Undergrad with one year Canadian working experience with OOPNP.

Student Life
I did two years of high school starting age 16 in Canada and subsequently completed my undergrad.

Working Life
I started my first full time job in 2014 and waiting to get my PR application started. It was the time CIC just announced that they would switch to Express Entry. I just missed the old CEC route. I heard many people submitted their CEC after six month of working and added the work experience letter afterwards to save time. I wanted to do that; but it was not happening with EE.

Unfortunately, I spoke to the company and they would not sponsor me under the company-led provincial nomination (Employer can initiate the PNP for me if I am a new grad and have a full time offer).

Unfortunately, I got fired after 8 months of working there.

Second Job
I was pretty upset and did not think I would find a job. But I just applied to a lot of places and got a job that was just as good as the first one.

OOPNP
Luckily, I hit my one year of working experience mark in June 2015 and OOPNP just announced their provincial nomination application. I applied to the program right away; around 6 days after the program had started.

Note: I was only 10-11 months on my Post Grad Work Permit; but CIC told me it was ok since I had been working on my Off Campus Working Permit to bridge the time that I was waiting for my PGWP. It was just over 12 months of working experience.

In the Application
I did not provide my travel history.
I did not provide my original birth certificate (only a notarized one)
(If you're applying, don't take my case as a good example. I am telling what has happened.)

EE CEC OOPNP
I got my 600 points after 1.5 month. ITA around Aug 7th.

In the Application
I had been in and out of the country (Canada) since age 16. But it was not exceeding 6 months.
EE asked me for criminal check. I just provide a letter of explanation that I did not need to provide haha.
I got some money from parents for down payment. But I didn't provide any explanation. I was worried bc Asivad was rejected bc of financials.
(If you're applying, don't take my case as a good example. I am telling what has happened.)

AOR'd Aug 13th
Medical Passed Aug 26th
Schedule 4 requested Aug27th
Schedule A requested Sept 14th
Family info requested Sept 16th
.... and there is no update

I contacted my local MP. They said the file had been going well and the due date for it was Dec 18th. But it did not mean CIC would look at it since it was around the holiday.

...more waiting

PPR came around Jan 14th. Submitted my passport right away.
Got CoPR Jan 26th in the mail.

I would have to say it was a long journey to CoPR and I had been dreaming about it since 2006. Now that I got it, first thing first, time to buy a place that I can call home.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations, your long marathon is over. Best wishes for a successful life in Canada. :)

RamsayBolton

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats to you ! I also have a small question regarding the PCC. I've been in Canada since 2010 as international student, and now working fulltime. I only left Canada two times for travel, and both trips were under one month. Can I use the old PCC from my country when I submitted for the Study Permit back in 2010? or do I have to get a new PCC from my country again?

r1ley

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
RamsayBolton said:
Congrats to you ! I also have a small question regarding the PCC. I've been in Canada since 2010 as international student, and now working fulltime. I only left Canada two times for travel, and both trips were under one month. Can I use the old PCC from my country when I submitted for the Study Permit back in 2010? or do I have to get a new PCC from my country again?
You will need a new one. I have seen a rejection because someone used an out dated PCC. Is there an expiration date on the PCC? Did you travel back to the country that issued you this PCC since you left in 2010?

I think it's better to be safe and order a new one.

Snow Trucker

Mar 18, 2017
I just got my passport back last night with CoPR after being in Canada for 9 years.

Canadian Undergrad with one year Canadian working experience with OOPNP.

Student Life
I did two years of high school starting age 16 in Canada and subsequently completed my undergrad.

Working Life
I started my first full time job in 2014 and waiting to get my PR application started. It was the time CIC just announced that they would switch to Express Entry. I just missed the old CEC route. I heard many people submitted their CEC after six month of working and added the work experience letter afterwards to save time. I wanted to do that; but it was not happening with EE.

Unfortunately, I spoke to the company and they would not sponsor me under the company-led provincial nomination (Employer can initiate the PNP for me if I am a new grad and have a full time offer).

Unfortunately, I got fired after 8 months of working there.

Second Job
I was pretty upset and did not think I would find a job. But I just applied to a lot of places and got a job that was just as good as the first one.

OOPNP
Luckily, I hit my one year of working experience mark in June 2015 and OOPNP just announced their provincial nomination application. I applied to the program right away; around 6 days after the program had started.

Note: I was only 10-11 months on my Post Grad Work Permit; but CIC told me it was ok since I had been working on my Off Campus Working Permit to bridge the time that I was waiting for my PGWP. It was just over 12 months of working experience.

In the Application
I did not provide my travel history.
I did not provide my original birth certificate (only a notarized one)

EE CEC OOPNP
I got my 600 points after 1.5 month. ITA around Aug 7th.

In the Application
I had been in and out of the country (Canada) since age 16. But it was not exceeding 6 months.
EE asked me for criminal check. I just provide a letter of explanation that I did not need to provide haha.
I got some money from parents for down payment. But I didn't provide any explanation. I was worried bc Asivad was rejected bc of financials.

AOR'd Aug 13th
Medical Passed Aug 26th
Schedule 4 requested Aug27th
Schedule A requested Sept 14th
Family info requested Sept 16th
.... and there is no update

I contacted my local MP. They said the file had been going well and the due date for it was Dec 18th. But it did not mean CIC would look at it since it was around the holiday.

...more waiting

PPR came around Jan 14th. Submitted my passport right away.
Got CoPR Jan 26th in the mail.

I would have to say it was a long journey to CoPR and I had been dreaming about it since 2006. Now that I got it, first thing first, time to buy a place that I can call home.
my story is pretty much the same as yours, the only difference is you got what you needed after 9 years whereas I am still struggling for it after 9 years
I also applied for CEC back in 2014 but all applications which were submitted after October 20, 2014 were returned to applicants because the cap was reached for 2014
an International student