+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview with CIC Officer

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Hi all,
I had received RQ last December, 2012 and I sent it back along with all requested documents. I had my citizenship test last October, 2013. After my test, the officer told me that I passed the test. Then she started very tough and long interview with me and she was doubting about my residency even though I had provided tons of documents when I submitted my RQ. Finally she said that I have to see the judge and I have to wait around 4 to 5 months.
My question is what can i expect during my interview with cj? And is it confirmed that attending interview will be required as I have read that many people have been informed by the cic officer that they are going to see the judge, however they have been called to attend oath ceremony instead? When I called the cic call center, they told me that I have to wait to see the judge.
Thanks in advance for your input

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you please specify your situation?
Were you out of the country many times?
What country are you from? The reason I asked this is because it seems faster for those who are from the common wealth countries

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
I had total of 4 visits with total of 50 days as absense. The officer saw expired residence visa in my passport from United Arab Emirates. However it's expired since 2010

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Why was she doubting your residency? Simply because you have an expired residency permit from somewhere else? Typical CIC BS.........

krish ram

Mar 5, 2013
It is unfortunate since uae visas is based on work and also if you are out of the country for 6 months your visa will be cancelled automatically . im sure they know about it , did they ask you about that visas are u r assuming this, secondly where did you do the test and interview/ hope u will explain this to cj and he/she will understand.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada4evr said:
Hi all,
I had received RQ last December, 2012 and I sent it back along with all requested documents. I had my citizenship test last October, 2013. After my test, the officer told me that I passed the test. Then she started very tough and long interview with me and she was doubting about my residency even though I had provided tons of documents when I submitted my RQ. Finally she said that I have to see the judge and I have to wait around 4 to 5 months.
My question is what can i expect during my interview with cj? And is it confirmed that attending interview will be required as I have read that many people have been informed by the cic officer that they are going to see the judge, however they have been called to attend oath ceremony instead? When I called the cic call center, they told me that I have to wait to see the judge.
Thanks in advance for your input
Every application must be approved by a judge. Straightforward applications are referred to the Judge by CIC as a 'paper review' - CJ effectively rubber stamps CIC's approval. Your case is different - you appear to be set for a full hearing. What is your Local Office as it will determine how soon this will happen e.g Manitoba has 1 CJ so it could easily be 12-24 months before you get a hearing. Also what documents did you submit to CIC as proof of physical presence in Canada? CJ will focus on your declared absences ...expect a detailed review of your passport stamps and employment history. Have you worked full time in the 4 years?

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
krish ram said:
It is unfortunate since uae visas is based on work and also if you are out of the country for 6 months your visa will be cancelled automatically . im sure they know about it , did they ask you about that visas are u r assuming this, secondly where did you do the test and interview/ hope u will explain this to cj and he/she will understand.
I really don't get it...what does have to do with your visa to approve your residency??? This is ridiculous. As long as you have lived here long enough to apply then you should get citizenship.
I have my test and interview on Tuesday next week but already feel that this application process may take a lot longer.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
I really don't get it...what does have to do with your visa to approve your residency??? This is ridiculous. As long as you have lived here long enough to apply then you should get citizenship.
I have my test and interview on Tuesday next week but already feel that this application process may take a lot longer.
CIC are suspicious/ review residency stamps covering any of the 4 year qualifying period. Why was the visa not cancelled? How does CIC know the visa is automatically cancelled if you don't show up? How can you reside in 2 places at the same time? CBSA don't stamp exits so how does CIC know you weren't residing in UAE at a time you declared to be in Canada.

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
My office is Niagara Falls and I believe they got only 1 cj. I never worked full time during the past 4yrs. I had part time jobs as I am handy man. I submitted notice of assessments for the past four years, lease contracts, car insurance, bank statements, some phone bills and letter from local community in my area that i have been member with them since my arrival to Canada on 2009.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canada4evr said:
I had total of 4 visits with total of 50 days as absense. The officer saw expired residence visa in my passport from United Arab Emirates. However it's expired since 2010
Your post from Dec 14th, 2013 says: However, during my interview with co she noticed the i have new residence visa for other country in my passport which is issued after 1yr from my citizenship application, so you had a residence visa issued in August 2013. Yet, in this post, you're claiming the officer had a problem with an expired 2010 residence visa. You're not helping yourself by posting conflicting information.

I'm not very familiar with RQs but I believe that filing an app and then leaving Canada (or in this case, filing an app and then obtaining a visa to to live outside of Canada) is a likely RQ trigger.

Perhaps Msafiri could weigh in on that, I believe s/he is quite familiar with the topic.

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
There is no conflicts at all. During the interview which was last October, 2013 I had new visa issued in the same month (which is after 1yr and 2 months exactly after my application). However I had old expired visa in my passport as well which all expired long back on 2010. So I am talking here about those old ones as the new visa has no effect with my residency as it's new and after my application.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
canada4evr said:
There is no conflicts at all. During the interview which was last October, 2013 I had new visa issued in the same month (which is after 1yr and 2 months exactly after my application). However I had old expired visa in my passport as well which all expired long back on 2010. So I am talking here about those old ones as the new visa has no effect with my residency as it's new and after my application.
I won't claim to know a lot about the citizenship process, however, even as I look at this thread, I'm left scratching my head. You said you filed your application sometime in 2012. RQ in Dec 2012. At this point in time, you presumably had a expired UAE resident visa for 2010. This would put it smack in the MIDDLE of your residency period. You also stated you only were out of Canada for 4 trips equalling only 50 days total. My first question, why the hell would you have a resident stamp for only 50 days total out of the country in 4 years?

Then you move along and have a NEW residency stamp for Oct 2013, from the same area as the one for 2010 that expired and you want to know why they would be asking you these questions and wondering about your actual residency?

I think I can probably safely assume they are wondering if you lied somewhere along the lines, because while I understand that you folks are saying you get a UAE residency stamp in your passport for just having a job there, what job could you have that you only have to go to 4 times in X amount of years and for roughly 12 days to a whack?

If you can see how a random person looking at this information from the outside could be confused and wondering, it should not be that hard of a step to take to see how CIC might also be confused and wondering....

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
The working visa was issued for three since 2007 until 2010. However when I landed in canada last 2009 my visa there was still valid and it's expired automatically on 2010 while i am in canada. I didn't mention anything regarding working abroad for 50 days as it was all short visits.
One more thing, I have applied for citizenship on August, 2012 and got the RQ on December, 2012 not both in the same time.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada4evr said:
The working visa was issued for three since 2007 until 2010. However when I landed in canada last 2009 my visa there was still valid and it's expired automatically on 2010 while i am in canada. I didn't mention anything regarding working abroad for 50 days as it was all short visits.
One more thing, I have applied for citizenship on August, 2012 and got the RQ on December, 2012 not both in the same time.
wow that was fast to get RQ....i waited a year then got RQ.
I still dont get why visas have anything to do with your application. CBSA has all records of when you are in and out the country (although not stamp). At least for me the CBSA shows all of my trip out of the country.
Anyway, good luck with the interview. If you tell the truth, they will have no way to deny your citizenship.

canada4evr

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
I have requested CASA report so i can bring it along with me if I will be called for interview. If I get my exit movement then that will solve all their doubts and they will have no option except to accept my application.