+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview in June with Buffalo amid its office closure

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
Hi guys,
LA just called me yesterday asking some questions about our marriage. Then they sent me a letter asking for FBI and evidence like this:
"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order to continue processing your application, the following is required:
- ORIGINAL FBI clearance certificate for yourself.(I've been living in USA over a year.)
- Evidence that your sponsor resides in Canada. This includes but is not limited to: pay stubs, T4 slips, utility bills, and banking history. Driver's licenses, Property tax assessments, Social Insurance or Health Insurance cards are not sufficient evidence/indicators for proof of Canadian residency."

Anybody has the same situation?Would you please help me with these two questions:
How long does it take to obtain FBI?
what is the average time to the next step after submitting FBI?
Thanks a lot.

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
cindy-cn said:
Hi guys,
LA just called me yesterday asking some questions about our marriage. Then they sent me a letter asking for FBI and evidence like this:
"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order to continue processing your application, the following is required:
- ORIGINAL FBI clearance certificate for yourself.(I've been living in USA over a year.)
- Evidence that your sponsor resides in Canada. This includes but is not limited to: pay stubs, T4 slips, utility bills, and banking history. Driver's licenses, Property tax assessments, Social Insurance or Health Insurance cards are not sufficient evidence/indicators for proof of Canadian residency."

Anybody has the same situation?Would you please help me with these two questions:
How long does it take to obtain FBI?
what is the average time to the next step after submitting FBI?
Thanks a lot.
I think that's good news. LA might skip the interview for you. Do you know when your file got transferred from Buffalo to Ottawa? Didn't you submit the FBI with your original application?

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
AW2011 said:
I think that's good news. LA might skip the interview for you. Do you know when your file got transferred from Buffalo to Ottawa? Didn't you submit the FBI with your original application?
I can't say if it is a good news now.
I don't know when my file was transferred to Ottawa,but transferred to LA from Ottawa on September 7th. I didn't submit my FBI with my application because it was not more that 6 months at that moment.
I already applied for FBI at the end of last month, I'm still waiting for that.
I hope everything going well with you.

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
Hello 2joys!
Just wanted to wish you a successful upcoming interview.
We still have no news yet from Ottawa. It's been 17 months from since we filed! :'(

2joys

Jun 7, 2012
Hey AW2011!
Sorry I didn't receive a notification that there was a activity on this thread. We just had our interview today. Thank God everything went well and we have been approved. It took 20 months but its almost over.

The interviewer didn't see the need to interview me. After an hour of asking my wife questions he called me in to clarify a couple of things and gave us the good news.

FYI, The officer told us our medical is expired, but they will first request their internal department for an extension on it. If the request is granted then we don't need a new medical. Otherwise we will have to get one and it will take 2months+ for them to get the results. It will take them a week to make this decision.

I really hope you guys hear something soon.

Not really sure what happens next...

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
Congratulations 2joys! I hope you'll get your medical extended soon. They should have done the extension before your interview, then you wouldn't have to wait now. It seems they love to see people wait. At least the most painful part is over for you. We still hear nothing yet from LA. We are hoping very soon. Wishing you all the best!
Just being curious, was the LA office busy with interviews? Were there lots of other people there when you were there?

2joys

Jun 7, 2012
Hey AW2011! Thank you!

Yeah honestly, at least we have an answer now. I hope they just do the extension. There really isn't any health concern. Lets see. It will be over soon.

I meant to mention about the amount of people that came there. Our interview was 8:30am. At that time only three people were there. 2 appointments and 1 walk-in. Another person was there for a working visa I think. There wasn't any rush though. People kept walking in to submit visitor visa papers. There weren't more then 4 people in there at a time.Then another couple came in for an interview at 10:30am. So maybe they do sponsorship interviews every 2 hours.

There were 3 parts of the interview.
1. Checking basic information
2. Development of the relationship.
3. The officer indicates what his decision is regarding the case.

Keep your hopes up, prepare for the interview. That's most important. They ask a lot of small details about your relationship. How it developed, make sure your spouse can describe everything that happened and when it happened. Be able to storyline the entire relationship development. She should also be familiar with you and your background. Your education, job, family, physical appearance (height etc.) They were really interested in how the relationship developed, especially in the case of long distance relationships. Particularly when and how you went from online acquaintances to developing feelings to onwards. Be comfortable and take your time. Answer the questions but don't over do it.

Check the CIC Operational manual regarding interviews:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op01-eng.pdf

Other things to know
When they send you the form for confirming the interview, they will ask if you need an interpreter. In which case you have to bring your own.
Also, there is $10 all day parking across the street if you get there before 9:30am.
There are hardly any restrooms anywhere at the street level. If you get there early make sure you don't need to go. No one is allowed to go to the Consulate floor until 8:15am. When you get to the Immigration office there are rest rooms.

Best of luck friend

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
i have an interview in april 2013
can you give me few tips about interview as you have already been into that.
did you and your spouse both went to interview? was your spouse was also interviewed by them ?
my interview letter says my spouse should also be interviewed but is that mandatory as he is in canada ?

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
Thank you 2joys for the info!
That really helps. Will post here when our turn comes. We are hoping soon.

2joys

Jun 7, 2012
Hey!
Something else to remember is that the interview will probably be long and at the end of it the officer will try to wrap it up quickly. But one of his official duties is to answer any questions you have and provide counsel. ASK QUESTION! Everything that you may have to worry about, everything you need to expect.

The letter we received said we should both be there. But when we got there they said they appreciated that I went but they didn't need to speak to me. They asked me to wait outside.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
2joys said:
Hey!
Something else to remember is that the interview will probably be long and at the end of it the officer will try to wrap it up quickly. But one of his official duties is to answer any questions you have and provide counsel. ASK QUESTION! Everything that you may have to worry about, everything you need to expect.

The letter we received said we should both be there. But when we got there they said they appreciated that I went but they didn't need to speak to me. They asked me to wait outside.
even my interview letter states me and my husband should be there...
though you have told that what they ask.. but would you mind telling me what they asked your wife ? i mean questions about developing relationship..like ...?
It would be great if you can help me a little. even by the interview time my medicals will be expired too.. hoping they would extend it earlier..

2joyswifey

Jan 18, 2013
Hi. This is 2joys wife. The interview officer told us that they will inform us if they will require a new medical one week after the interview. We got the email requesting for a new one on Dec 21st, that is more than 5 weeks after the interview.

The new medical was done on Jan 3rd. Result will come out after 7 to 10 days. The doctor's office said they will send the result to Ottawa thru Fedex (1 day shipping).

We were told by the interview officer that it will take at least 2 months to process this. Now the wait begins again.

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
2joyswifey said:
Hi. This is 2joys wife. The interview officer told us that they will inform us if they will require a new medical one week after the interview. We got the email requesting for a new one on Dec 21st, that is more than 5 weeks after the interview.

The new medical was done on Jan 3rd. Result will come out after 7 to 10 days. The doctor's office said they will send the result to Ottawa thru Fedex (1 day shipping).

We were told by the interview officer that it will take at least 2 months to process this. Now the wait begins again.
Thank you for the update. We got a re-medical letter too beginning of Dec. 2012 after our file went In Process from LA. Ottawa received our re-medical early this month and we sent LA a case specific informing the receipt by Ottawa. Now we are back to the waiting game as you. Hope you all won't have to wait for too much longer.

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
Hi guys,
I just got my passport back this morning. :)Thanks for your support.I believe good news will come to you soon.Hang in there. Here is my timeline, I hope it can be helpful.

Application was received: 2011/11
transfer to Buffalo:2012/01
Interview was scheduled at: 2012/07
interview was canceled and case transferred to Ottawa:2012/7
FBI required at :2012/10
passport required :2012/12/12
issued at :2013/01/8
passport received:2013/1/18

I don't know how to land, could anybody tell my the details? It's like I need to sign some forms, but my English is not good for that.I'm worried about that. Thanks again.

2joys

Jun 7, 2012
Hey Everyone!
We just got our Passport request today. Alhumdolillah!
Almost done, we are praying for you all too!